The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

14 years ago

@Zandora wrote:

@garak0410 wrote:

Which GPS Test program also? I downloaded two and both don't seem to do much...

GPS Test from Chartcross. That's the one I use.

1) Start GPS Test app *first* 

2) After you see a few bars light up, THEN click the START GPS in the upper LEFT(edited)hand corner of the app. It takes you to the native menu to start GPS. Check the GPS Satellites box (and the one above it too, if unchecked).

3) THEN start your navigation software. I use the Navigation that comes with the Google Maps download.

This should jump start your GPS Chip.

Works for me 100% of the time (n=5)

Didn't do a thing for me...and there was no START GPS in the upper left...just something that said GPS on...and nothing happens with this program...

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

Sorry. You need to start GPS from GPS Test by clicking the Gps off in the top left corner. I forgot the sequence when I wrote the instructions above.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

14 years ago

I got to be honest, I cannot believe your GPS is not working with the leak, Three phones all successful locks and took one to test navigation is was perfect, I am not even kidding you. GPS was accurate enough to see that I merged onto the highway from a road that runs parallel to it less than 30 feet away. Still locking great too. The fix has to be in the recipe, at this point it is the only thing holding up the official release.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

14 years ago

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

14 years ago

That v2.2 is interesting.  You could use the Kies program to update, but I want to see AT&T push it out.

Mentor

• 

60 Messages

14 years ago

@SpartanGA wrote:

That v2.2 is interesting.  You could use the Kies program to update, but I want to see AT&T push it out.

This can only mean we are getting it very soon...perhaps next week or so.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

14 years ago

It says GPS fix in the notes.... I'm hoping its a real fix and not one of the 2 failed fixes they have sent out in September and Early October.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

My Captivate is on 2.1 JH7. Since I changed the SUPL Secure Socket to off (LbsTestMode -> SUPL/CP Settings), I get a GPS lock in 7 to 15 seconds anywhere where it can see at least 3 sattelites. It strts with 49 to 82 feet accuracy, but within 30 - 45 seconds it is usually at 16 - 32 feet.

Guru

• 

5 Messages

14 years ago

Forgive me for jumping in at this late date, but I ran into this thread doing my research on the Captivate. My current phone is basically dead, so I'm considering a refurb Captivate as upgrade. So I'm wondering if 1) a refurb will have the GPS issue fixed, and 2) should I consider waiting until 2.2 comes out?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated!

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

Neither refurb, nor 2.2 will have GPS fixed. Samsung is still working on it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.