Captivate - GPS Issues

Teacher

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Message 1 of 212 (18,049 Views)
Tutor

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

I had a similar issue before and after the update. To be frank i tried it indoors (most of the time) and couple of times outdoor. But none worked. I read in this forum to install "GPS Test" application which i did.

Now i am magically able to lock the GPS in a minute indoors and offcourse outdoor too(Less then a minute).

(Just for reference my Tom Tom One takes a little more then 2 minutes to Lock Indoors )

Last two days i have been using my GPS to navigate from home to Office as a test. It is not as good as My TomTom but i would say it is 90% there. I get lock to around 6-8 sattelite with 8-10 in view.

It takes few more second to understand my location if i change path then the time taken by Tomotom.

If i don't change the path it is 100% same.

Buit it is usable enough for Navigation. So i would suggest to try this approach it might work or might not work but you have nothinhg to loose.

Message 166 of 212 (2,397 Views)
Tutor

All you did was install GPS Test?  No settings or such?

Message 167 of 212 (2,387 Views)
Mentor

Which GPS Test program also? I downloaded two and both don't seem to do much...

Message 168 of 212 (2,379 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

garak0410 wrote:

GPS Test from Chartcross. That's the one I use.

1) Start GPS Test app *first* 

2) After you see a few bars light up, THEN click the START GPS in the upper LEFT(edited)hand corner of the app. It takes you to the native menu to start GPS. Check the GPS Satellites box (and the one above it too, if unchecked).

3) THEN start your navigation software. I use the Navigation that comes with the Google Maps download.

This should jump start your GPS Chip.

Works for me 100% of the time (n=5)

Message 169 of 212 (2,355 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

i just had Use GPS sattelites OFF.

Then i downloaded "GPS Test" and ran the application. On the Left top corner it showed GPS Off. I went and swicherd this Flag ON as well as "Use Wireless Network" ON. I later had this one OFF when it locked the sattelite.

You will have to patently wait for 2 3 mins to see if there are any satelites seen and then another 2 minutes for the lock. (First time). after that it was pretty quick.

It worked for me. Try doing this outdoor(I did it indoor though). Again it might not work for you but give it a try.

Message 170 of 212 (2,354 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

As mentioned by zandora - it is GPS Test from Chartcross.

Also in Step 2 mentioned, you will not get any bar until GPS is ON. I am not sure how he was able to get it. But you have to set GPS On after the app have started to get the bar.

Message 171 of 212 (3,236 Views)
Mentor

Zandora wrote:

garak0410 wrote:

GPS Test from Chartcross. That's the one I use.

1) Start GPS Test app *first* 

2) After you see a few bars light up, THEN click the START GPS in the upper LEFT(edited)hand corner of the app. It takes you to the native menu to start GPS. Check the GPS Satellites box (and the one above it too, if unchecked).

3) THEN start your navigation software. I use the Navigation that comes with the Google Maps download.

This should jump start your GPS Chip.

Works for me 100% of the time (n=5)

Didn't do a thing for me...and there was no START GPS in the upper left...just something that said GPS on...and nothing happens with this program...

Message 172 of 212 (3,234 Views)
Master

Sorry. You need to start GPS from GPS Test by clicking the Gps off in the top left corner. I forgot the sequence when I wrote the instructions above.
Message 173 of 212 (3,215 Views)
Mentor

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues. I gave up.

I got to be honest, I cannot believe your GPS is not working with the leak, Three phones all successful locks and took one to test navigation is was perfect, I am not even kidding you. GPS was accurate enough to see that I merged onto the highway from a road that runs parallel to it less than 30 feet away. Still locking great too. The fix has to be in the recipe, at this point it is the only thing holding up the official release.

Message 174 of 212 (3,191 Views)
Mentor

Message 175 of 212 (3,149 Views)
Tutor

That v2.2 is interesting.  You could use the Kies program to update, but I want to see AT&T push it out.

Message 176 of 212 (3,125 Views)
Mentor

SpartanGA wrote:

That v2.2 is interesting.  You could use the Kies program to update, but I want to see AT&T push it out.

This can only mean we are getting it very soon...perhaps next week or so.

Message 177 of 212 (3,118 Views)
Mentor

It says GPS fix in the notes.... I'm hoping its a real fix and not one of the 2 failed fixes they have sent out in September and Early October.

Message 178 of 212 (2,954 Views)
Tutor

My Captivate is on 2.1 JH7. Since I changed the SUPL Secure Socket to off (LbsTestMode -> SUPL/CP Settings), I get a GPS lock in 7 to 15 seconds anywhere where it can see at least 3 sattelites. It strts with 49 to 82 feet accuracy, but within 30 - 45 seconds it is usually at 16 - 32 feet.

Message 179 of 212 (2,835 Views)
Guru

Forgive me for jumping in at this late date, but I ran into this thread doing my research on the Captivate. My current phone is basically dead, so I'm considering a refurb Captivate as upgrade. So I'm wondering if 1) a refurb will have the GPS issue fixed, and 2) should I consider waiting until 2.2 comes out?

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated!

Message 180 of 212 (2,694 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.