For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

14 years ago

The TRUTH is samsung wrote a bad broadcom driver, the patch was made to clear cached errors so to speak. They need to write a new driver and this is not a easy task. On that note this is not AT&Ts fault, and if you believe that they are not on the phone with samsung everyday you have no idea. Think about it, do you really believe AT&T does not mind handling hundreds and hundreds of phone calls trying to buy time until samsung gets its act together. If  you are outside your 30 days call samsung and process a warranty, and then ask for a refund, or just for fun have samsung send you a new phone every month, they are covered for a full year through samsung. Also the fact is that AT&T customer service reps are not TECHNICIANS, the girl on the other end of the phone has no idea why your GPS does not work. These people are there to service their network and light troubleshooting. Samsung, built a faulty device harass them.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

14 years ago

@tylerdurdin wrote:

On that note this is not AT&Ts fault, 

I would have to say that AT&T shares fault here.  They openly publicize the reason behind them blocking high end android phones is because they put them through endless testing above and beyond what other carriers do.  Yet they release a phone with an epic flaw.   While the construction and implimentation of the phones hardware was not their fault; I believe that they should have put a bit more time testing the phone and a bit less time loading it with crudware that many in the user base will never use.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

I read that quite a few Galaxy S users reported that GPS Status & Toolbox helps getting a fast GPS lock. It has an option to download to get GPS data from the internet. It seems to speed up the lock. Download it from the Market.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

14 years ago

Tried that, Didn't work.  

Master

• 

4.3K Messages

14 years ago

Added red text below.

I use GPS Test.

But don't turn on GPS before you turn on GPS Test.

Instead, open the GPS Test app, WAIT FOR SOME BARS TO LIGHT UP, then from the app click the button on top left to turn on GPS (the button takes you to the native GPS settings screen).

I tried to do  the other way, turn on GPS, then turn on GPS Test. GPS didn't lock. But when I did it like above. It locked very quickly. Not sure why though.

Mentor

• 

53 Messages

14 years ago

@skahead wrote:

Tried that, Didn't work.  

How exactly did you try?  I don't at all mean this to be insulting, but were you outdoors in clear view of the sky all around?  Many people innocently assume that GPS works (well) indoors.  Next thing to do is once you've started GPS Status is to hit menu, go to Settings > GPS & Sensors > Manage A-GPS state.  Click Reset.  Once it's cleared, then click Download to get fresh data.  Now wait for a solid lock from probably 8+ satellites.  This may very well take a very long time the first time as it's a cold start.  Once you've got a good lock, exit the app then relaunch.  No need to reset the data this time, just wait for a new lock.  You should start seeing some improvement.

Tutor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I returned my Captivate. After struggling with Outlook syncing issues, Kies, and now the GPS, which after the update, hard reset, checking and unchecking the various GPS options, I gave up.

I exchanged it for a Blackberry Torch and I'll be darned, for my needs, it rocks. GPS works, Outlook syncing works. I can create shortcuts on the BB homescreen for my Google Calendar! (yes, I kept it, a left over of my attempts to have Calendars sync with Captivate, but I also keep it because personal contacts use gmail and Google calendar which amazingly is easy enough to keep track of on the BB). Screen is great (I can't notice the difference in day to day productivity use, i.e.. not using for games).

Things I miss about Captivate - Swype, what a fantastic product, Samsung should license it; the ease in which you can access the reminders and connections by swiping the top bar; games (BB is way, way behind, but then again, I realize I am a business user and looking for productivity which Android in it's fractured and fragmented way cannot address in a singular handset).

Mentor

• 

56 Messages

14 years ago

At this point I am happy to say although you have heard it a million times, GPS works AWESOME on the new Froyo update WHICH IS NOT OUT YET. On 3 separate test devices( all of which had no gps function even after the last update) all of them got gps locks in 20-30 seconds. Not to mention if you love your phone now when you see how much has changed you are going to love it even more. I do not recommend installing the "leaked" froyo on your phone because it is beta and it does have a few bugs that are being worked out, which is why froyo has not been officially released yet. We have test devices (hobby phones) to experiment on, and I do not  have this installed on my personal device, but can tell you, that it is going to be hard to wait after seeing these other phones work so well and all the extras you get. Flash works great, website videos launch and play nicely, Task management is simplified greatly, I can go on and on but dont want to ruin to much for you. There is a nice walkthrough upon the initial boot after install, which nicely sets your phone up along the way which is great, when the phone actually loads completely your ready to install apps. For everyone sticking it out to this point i guess the only thing I can say is what my mother used to say to me all the time...Good things come, to those who wait.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

Not sure which Froyo update you're talking about. If you're talking about JI6, no, GPS is not yet fixed. Can get a quick fix and Can maintain an acceptable accuracy while navigating are two different thing. My phone can get a fix since JF6 no problem. But it can never maintain a decent enough accruacy while moving.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

14 years ago

Here is the latest I heard. That the GPS problem is due to the Broadcom (SP?) chip. And that when Samsung tried to fix it they found that it was causing problems with the file system and with Froyo right around the corner they would have to do it all over again. So that they are not only trying to get the drivers for the chip to play well with the file system and GPS, but have it all come together and work with 2.2. 
And I think that is why we have seen some odd behavior with the beta releases. My point being is they have a PR nightmare because they tried to rush it against the iPhone and are now playing mum so as to not cause further havoc until the final 2.2 is out. Basically they are in disaster recovery mode and probably only have one shot at it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.