Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 23, 2010
6:46:12 AM
View profile
Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Captivate - GPS Issues

211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 9:38:52 AM
(0)
Tutor

I'm in the same boat as you but as I mainly use my Garmin, I'm doing ok for now. Samsung has promised a fix. I know that doesn't give and ETA but I'll take the promise because the rest of the phone is amazing....

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16853&news=Samsung+Captivate+Samsung+Vibrant+ATT+Mobile...

Also, Samsung promised to roll our Android 2.2 in Sepetember which would be a wonderful update as well.

I'm in the same boat as you but as I mainly use my Garmin, I'm doing ok for now. Samsung has promised a fix. I know that doesn't give and ETA but I'll take the promise because the rest of the phone is amazing....

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16853&news=Samsung+Captivate+Samsung+Vibrant+ATT+Mobile+GPS+Problem+Bug+Issues

Also, Samsung promised to roll our Android 2.2 in Sepetember which would be a wonderful update as well.

Re: Samsung Captivate GPS NOT WORKING

34 of 212 (3,862 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 10:37:12 AM
(0)
Expert

exparrot wrote:

But ATT does have the ability to apply pressure to a supplier.  I didn't buy the phone from Samsung, I bought it from ATT.  If they advertise a feature on the phone, I expect that feature to work. If it doesn't then I expect them to act as my advocate and partner with the supplier.  

When I went to the store yesterday to inquire and they told me that unless the issue is with the ATT Telenav app,

that is an outrageous response. If the phone signal doesn't work, they don't blame Samsung or Android's PHONE app.

I like the phone, I'd like to keep the phone, but if I am unclear that anyone is taking ownership of the issue, than I will return the phone, which will be unprofitable to ATT and to Samsung. 

For you to dress down someone for asking for support in a support forum is ridiculous.

they did not get involved with the same issue that occurred on the Iphone, Apple is handling that one, go over to their forums and check the threads on the IPhone having issues with the GPS.

exparrot wrote:

But ATT does have the ability to apply pressure to a supplier.  I didn't buy the phone from Samsung, I bought it from ATT.  If they advertise a feature on the phone, I expect that feature to work. If it doesn't then I expect them to act as my advocate and partner with the supplier.  

When I went to the store yesterday to inquire and they told me that unless the issue is with the ATT Telenav app,

that is an outrageous response. If the phone signal doesn't work, they don't blame Samsung or Android's PHONE app.

I like the phone, I'd like to keep the phone, but if I am unclear that anyone is taking ownership of the issue, than I will return the phone, which will be unprofitable to ATT and to Samsung. 

For you to dress down someone for asking for support in a support forum is ridiculous.

they did not get involved with the same issue that occurred on the Iphone, Apple is handling that one, go over to their forums and check the threads on the IPhone having issues with the GPS.

35 of 212 (3,831 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 11:38:07 AM
(0)
Scholar

All we need is for Consumer Reports to test this little bugger so that AT&T and Samsung give this issue the priority it deserves. My old reliable BJII gets locks on GPS  faster and gives me a more accurate location than my Captivate. If I walk on 11th Ave on the West side of Manhattan (NY) the Captivate places my location either in the middle of the Hudson river or on the East side shore of the river in New Jersey. This is on a clear sky day. My BJII, althought not super accurate, places me within a city block of my location.

All we need is for Consumer Reports to test this little bugger so that AT&T and Samsung give this issue the priority it deserves. My old reliable BJII gets locks on GPS  faster and gives me a more accurate location than my Captivate. If I walk on 11th Ave on the West side of Manhattan (NY) the Captivate places my location either in the middle of the Hudson river or on the East side shore of the river in New Jersey. This is on a clear sky day. My BJII, althought not super accurate, places me within a city block of my location.

39 of 212 (4,391 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 11:50:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc is also another issue all together... Yes....My phone gets almost instant Network(at&t) location information while nice it's not very accurate.... On the other hand....I never get a GPS lock and if I do it takes several mins.

If the gps symbol is flashing and not steady....it's searching and does not have a lock folks........ When the symbol and is not flashing and shows a steady symbol of a sat with bars it has a lock.

Google maps will show you a map based purely on network location information but if you start the navigation portion it will not work until you have a GPS lock. Try it for yourself.....

Starting google maps is not a clear indicator that you gps is working!!!

Actually start navigation and tell me if it works....

People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc is also another issue all together... Yes....My phone gets almost instant Network(at&t) location information while nice it's not very accurate.... On the other hand....I never get a GPS lock and if I do it takes several mins.

If the gps symbol is flashing and not steady....it's searching and does not have a lock folks........ When the symbol and is not flashing and shows a steady symbol of a sat with bars it has a lock.

Google maps will show you a map based purely on network location information but if you start the navigation portion it will not work until you have a GPS lock. Try it for yourself.....

Starting google maps is not a clear indicator that you gps is working!!!

Actually start navigation and tell me if it works....

41 of 212 (4,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 7:31:02 AM
(0)
Contributor

BINGO! I believge that this is a problem inherent in every single Galaxy phone. This is not "under certain circumstances" or " some devices". The people that claim their navigation is working fine are mistaking network location or assist with actually locking in on true GPS. ATT - PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN! THESE PHONES ARE BROKEN.

BINGO! I believge that this is a problem inherent in every single Galaxy phone. This is not "under certain circumstances" or " some devices". The people that claim their navigation is working fine are mistaking network location or assist with actually locking in on true GPS. ATT - PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN! THESE PHONES ARE BROKEN.

45 of 212 (4,279 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 12:00:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

I posted this on CNET.  I'm posting it here also.  Let me know how it works.

I got my Samsung Galaxy S phone (AT&T Captivate) 2 days ago had this problem. The problem seem to be in how AT&T programmed some settings in the phone, not the phone itself. I got the problem fixed by doing the following.

Step 1. Go to 'Settings', choose 'Location & Security', uncheck "Use Wireless Networks".
Step 2. Open the dialer (the green phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* . Doing this will get you to a menu which allows you to change the default GPS setting programmed by AT&T.
?Step 3 In the LbsTestMode menue, go to 'SUPL/CP Settings' and change the 'SUPL Secure Socket' to OFF. (This alone seem to improve the speed of GPS locking.)
Step 4 In the LBSTestMode menu, find ?SUPL/CP Settings? and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !) => I'm not sure if this really did anything. This was commonly suggested by other people who claimed that this fixed the problem. It looks like the original default setting which uses SERVER 'www.spirent-lcs.com' and PORT '7275' seem to work fine or choosing the 'Server FQDN Type' to Auto Config seem to work also. I personally believe that all three works fine. You can try to play with this setting.
Step 5 In the LBSTestMode menu, find 'Application Settings' and Change the Operation Mode to MS Based. This allows the phone to use combination of GPS signal and location data from network instead of GPS only. This should help to speed up locking.
Step 6. Turn off the phone and reboot the phone.
Step 7 Go to settings > Location & Security. Re Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

With all of the above, my phone sees more satellites, locks quickly, and looks very accurate. Google MAP, Google Earth, and Google Navigation all worked fine even when I was driving in my car.

I posted this on CNET.  I'm posting it here also.  Let me know how it works.

I got my Samsung Galaxy S phone (AT&T Captivate) 2 days ago had this problem. The problem seem to be in how AT&T programmed some settings in the phone, not the phone itself. I got the problem fixed by doing the following.

Step 1. Go to 'Settings', choose 'Location & Security', uncheck "Use Wireless Networks".
Step 2. Open the dialer (the green phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* . Doing this will get you to a menu which allows you to change the default GPS setting programmed by AT&T.
?Step 3 In the LbsTestMode menue, go to 'SUPL/CP Settings' and change the 'SUPL Secure Socket' to OFF. (This alone seem to improve the speed of GPS locking.)
Step 4 In the LBSTestMode menu, find ?SUPL/CP Settings? and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !) => I'm not sure if this really did anything. This was commonly suggested by other people who claimed that this fixed the problem. It looks like the original default setting which uses SERVER 'www.spirent-lcs.com' and PORT '7275' seem to work fine or choosing the 'Server FQDN Type' to Auto Config seem to work also. I personally believe that all three works fine. You can try to play with this setting.
Step 5 In the LBSTestMode menu, find 'Application Settings' and Change the Operation Mode to MS Based. This allows the phone to use combination of GPS signal and location data from network instead of GPS only. This should help to speed up locking.
Step 6. Turn off the phone and reboot the phone.
Step 7 Go to settings > Location & Security. Re Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

With all of the above, my phone sees more satellites, locks quickly, and looks very accurate. Google MAP, Google Earth, and Google Navigation all worked fine even when I was driving in my car.

47 of 212 (4,235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 12:27:35 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by tamanaco on Aug 4, 2010 at 12:41:54 PM

I tried the steps mentioned above and my Captivate worked fine for a while. Once I changed my location considerably... took the subway all the way downtown from uptown.... and tried to lock on GPS again the "accuracy" issue came right back. I was walking around the Staten Island Ferry station and my Captivate GPS put me on the water between Governors Island and the Manhattan shore. My wife has the same phone without any modifications and her phone was accurate to within 500 yards.

Here is what CNET posted yesterday about this issue:

I tried the steps mentioned above and my Captivate worked fine for a while. Once I changed my location considerably... took the subway all the way downtown from uptown.... and tried to lock on GPS again the "accuracy" issue came right back. I was walking around the Staten Island Ferry station and my Captivate GPS put me on the water between Governors Island and the Manhattan shore. My wife has the same phone without any modifications and her phone was accurate to within 500 yards.

Here is what CNET posted yesterday about this issue:

[ Edited ]
48 of 212 (4,222 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 3:33:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

I just took a 220 mile trip today to an area I was unfamiliar with and the GPS function performed perfectly. It did take about 5 minutes to initially lock on to the satellites but after that each destination was dead on (within 5 meters).

From what I saw today Samsung just needs to fix the lock on to make lock on faster.

I just took a 220 mile trip today to an area I was unfamiliar with and the GPS function performed perfectly. It did take about 5 minutes to initially lock on to the satellites but after that each destination was dead on (within 5 meters).

From what I saw today Samsung just needs to fix the lock on to make lock on faster.

49 of 212 (4,161 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 4:14:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

I tried the recommend settings changes and no go, as a tech person i tried it many times, thinking it could be the fat finger mistake, still no go.

Sure the navigation and Google maps don't work, but all of the other location based services don't work either.

Weather, find a friend, other programs that note or record your location and share with others.

I called ATT and not exactly worded but this is how they handled it: "they wanted me to active the ATT navigation, because that is the only trouble shooting tools that they had in the script that they read to me, other wise they were clueless."  

From there they forwarded me to Samsung and yes they know that it is a issue, but as stated above, it is being worked on and a fix will be out soon.  They suggested that I register the phone to get updates.

The phone is great, the GPS is a huge oversite, and is a integral part of the phone.

I had the Aria before the S and the navigation on Gmaps was really great, so I am sure when it gets fixed it will be a complete mobile device.

So, where do we start a petition, or get this noticed?

I tried the recommend settings changes and no go, as a tech person i tried it many times, thinking it could be the fat finger mistake, still no go.

Sure the navigation and Google maps don't work, but all of the other location based services don't work either.

Weather, find a friend, other programs that note or record your location and share with others.

I called ATT and not exactly worded but this is how they handled it: "they wanted me to active the ATT navigation, because that is the only trouble shooting tools that they had in the script that they read to me, other wise they were clueless."  

From there they forwarded me to Samsung and yes they know that it is a issue, but as stated above, it is being worked on and a fix will be out soon.  They suggested that I register the phone to get updates.

The phone is great, the GPS is a huge oversite, and is a integral part of the phone.

I had the Aria before the S and the navigation on Gmaps was really great, so I am sure when it gets fixed it will be a complete mobile device.

So, where do we start a petition, or get this noticed?

50 of 212 (4,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 5:22:06 PM
(0)
Scholar
Samsung has already acknolowedged this issue and is in the process of trying to fix it. when they will fix it is a different story. there is no information on when the fix will be released. i have a feeling it will be with 2.2 but that is just my guess. until then i recommend getting a 3rd party app or an actual gps like a garmin. i got the wife a garmin and that thing could pick a needle out of a haystack. not something i expect from a cellphone with any great accuracy.
Samsung has already acknolowedged this issue and is in the process of trying to fix it. when they will fix it is a different story. there is no information on when the fix will be released. i have a feeling it will be with 2.2 but that is just my guess. until then i recommend getting a 3rd party app or an actual gps like a garmin. i got the wife a garmin and that thing could pick a needle out of a haystack. not something i expect from a cellphone with any great accuracy.

51 of 212 (4,130 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 9:22:23 PM
(0)
Contributor

Here's my 2 cents.  My company bought 4 recently and I was the only one to get the lemon.  I've attempted the "fixes" put out on the web and they don't help at all.  I do believe there may be more than 1 issue here that they are attempting to fix but the clock is ticking.   I went to the store in an attemtp to swap my phone and discovered 1 good and 1 bad phone that they pulled out.  So - if you're within your 30 days- GO SWAP the phone and have them pull out all of their phones if necessary to rectify the issue.   I also realized that ATT has NO support for Corporate Enterprise customers in their actual stores.  I'm seriously going to recommend we look at other carriers based on this fact alone.  Apparently, spending $100K+/year means you get worse to no support from ATT.  If I hadn't experienced it first hand - I wouldn't have believed it.  Someone in ATT corporate needs to step up and address this or we'll explore other options. 

Here's my 2 cents.  My company bought 4 recently and I was the only one to get the lemon.  I've attempted the "fixes" put out on the web and they don't help at all.  I do believe there may be more than 1 issue here that they are attempting to fix but the clock is ticking.   I went to the store in an attemtp to swap my phone and discovered 1 good and 1 bad phone that they pulled out.  So - if you're within your 30 days- GO SWAP the phone and have them pull out all of their phones if necessary to rectify the issue.   I also realized that ATT has NO support for Corporate Enterprise customers in their actual stores.  I'm seriously going to recommend we look at other carriers based on this fact alone.  Apparently, spending $100K+/year means you get worse to no support from ATT.  If I hadn't experienced it first hand - I wouldn't have believed it.  Someone in ATT corporate needs to step up and address this or we'll explore other options. 

78 of 212 (2,653 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 2:08:07 PM
(0)
Teacher

This doesn't look too good for a REAL fix for the GPS - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777068

This doesn't look too good for a REAL fix for the GPS - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=777068

79 of 212 (2,561 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 2:15:09 PM
(0)
Master

JRd1st wrote:

Samsung never really officially claimed that way. It is speculations from many Blogers based on the feed back from Samsung support. We all know how useful those Samsung support CSRs are.  And it is very doubtful the EPIC 4G firmware contains the actual fix based on the fact that the final Broadcom driver was only delivered to Samsung in late August, too late for EPIC's launch at the end of August.

EPIC 4G also confirms to have a hardcoded 30-meter accuracy value which may not mean much as the actual positioning test shows it slightly better than Captivate and other Galaxy S phones. Although my Captivate shows 5-meter or 10-meter accuracy all the time, it still put me at least 20 meters aways from my actual position a lot of times.

JRd1st wrote:

Samsung never really officially claimed that way. It is speculations from many Blogers based on the feed back from Samsung support. We all know how useful those Samsung support CSRs are.  And it is very doubtful the EPIC 4G firmware contains the actual fix based on the fact that the final Broadcom driver was only delivered to Samsung in late August, too late for EPIC's launch at the end of August.

EPIC 4G also confirms to have a hardcoded 30-meter accuracy value which may not mean much as the actual positioning test shows it slightly better than Captivate and other Galaxy S phones. Although my Captivate shows 5-meter or 10-meter accuracy all the time, it still put me at least 20 meters aways from my actual position a lot of times.

80 of 212 (2,669 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2010 12:49:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

I hope this "fix" does not break mine, it has worked flawlessly since day one. I will say it is some what touchy in that it wants a true clear view of the sky. Such as, on the dash of a vehicle it is perfect, yet holding it on/in your lap, does work, but maybe 20 meter accurate, instead of dead on. Maybe I am lucky, who knows. I am truly overly joyed with my new phone, and will be mad like I say, if this "fix" breaks mine.  Smiley Happy

I hope this "fix" does not break mine, it has worked flawlessly since day one. I will say it is some what touchy in that it wants a true clear view of the sky. Such as, on the dash of a vehicle it is perfect, yet holding it on/in your lap, does work, but maybe 20 meter accurate, instead of dead on. Maybe I am lucky, who knows. I am truly overly joyed with my new phone, and will be mad like I say, if this "fix" breaks mine.  Smiley Happy

81 of 212 (2,485 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2010 10:59:38 AM
(0)
Tutor

Get Over it !!  Did you buy a GPS or a phone ?

124 of 212 (2,065 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2010 1:58:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by tamanaco on Sep 26, 2010 at 2:09:44 PM

donaldat56 wrote:

That's easy to say, but when more and more of the applications you use depend on accurate GPS location to give you "relevant" information it becomes an issue of having a fully functional "smartphone"... not a phone. Android itself is being developed by Google (The de facto search kings) I'd dare to say that the Google smartphone applications that we've come to depend on... are dependent or are more useful if they could get accurate GPS "location".

I want to be able to type the word Pizza and get the closest Pizza restaurant based on where I am. I want to take a picture and have the Smartphone record the location and date. After I have a few drinks at bar and I'm a little disoriented... I want be able to find the closest subway station and get the shortest way to walk there from where I'm standing... not from 5 blocks away from my location.

I think that with the latest firmware update (JH7) the GPS locks to satellite are a little better, but the applications that depend on GPS still have the issue of  maintaining accuracy if one moves around or after a certain period of time. Some folks suspect that the drivers for the GPS fail to clear old and irrelevant GPS data in the cache and so the cache fills up and the GPS looses its accuracy as it no longer gets new location information or can only get "insufficient" location information. If I clear the GPS cache I can get my GPS to lock very quickly, but as time goes by the cache fills up and the number of satellites in view decrease, the lock times get longer and accuracy of my location gets progressively worse.  

donaldat56 wrote:

That's easy to say, but when more and more of the applications you use depend on accurate GPS location to give you "relevant" information it becomes an issue of having a fully functional "smartphone"... not a phone. Android itself is being developed by Google (The de facto search kings) I'd dare to say that the Google smartphone applications that we've come to depend on... are dependent or are more useful if they could get accurate GPS "location".

I want to be able to type the word Pizza and get the closest Pizza restaurant based on where I am. I want to take a picture and have the Smartphone record the location and date. After I have a few drinks at bar and I'm a little disoriented... I want be able to find the closest subway station and get the shortest way to walk there from where I'm standing... not from 5 blocks away from my location.

I think that with the latest firmware update (JH7) the GPS locks to satellite are a little better, but the applications that depend on GPS still have the issue of  maintaining accuracy if one moves around or after a certain period of time. Some folks suspect that the drivers for the GPS fail to clear old and irrelevant GPS data in the cache and so the cache fills up and the GPS looses its accuracy as it no longer gets new location information or can only get "insufficient" location information. If I clear the GPS cache I can get my GPS to lock very quickly, but as time goes by the cache fills up and the number of satellites in view decrease, the lock times get longer and accuracy of my location gets progressively worse.  

[ Edited ]
125 of 212 (2,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 3:43:00 AM
(0)
Master

donaldat56 wrote:

Do you know how many Android apps depend on GPS to be reliable?

If I'm only interested in a cell phone, I'd just buy a cheap dumb phone (much cheaper). I paid a premium for a Smartphone and it is not too much to ask that all the advised features work. If Samsung/ATT has said there is no GPS on Captivate phone, I have no problem with it (and probably won't buy it).

donaldat56 wrote:

Do you know how many Android apps depend on GPS to be reliable?

If I'm only interested in a cell phone, I'd just buy a cheap dumb phone (much cheaper). I paid a premium for a Smartphone and it is not too much to ask that all the advised features work. If Samsung/ATT has said there is no GPS on Captivate phone, I have no problem with it (and probably won't buy it).

126 of 212 (1,972 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 9:14:35 AM
(0)
Tutor

I bought an Android phone because I want the applications that are available on this platform. As was  stated, many of those applications depend on location. If all I wanted was a phone, I could have gotten one for much less than I paid for the Captivate.

I just spoke with Samsung (phone number given to me by AT&T support), and they confirmed that the GPS fix was not included in the JH7 update. They are still working on a fix. The representative I spoke with said it will "hopefully be available next month."

I bought an Android phone because I want the applications that are available on this platform. As was  stated, many of those applications depend on location. If all I wanted was a phone, I could have gotten one for much less than I paid for the Captivate.

I just spoke with Samsung (phone number given to me by AT&T support), and they confirmed that the GPS fix was not included in the JH7 update. They are still working on a fix. The representative I spoke with said it will "hopefully be available next month."

127 of 212 (1,908 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 1:25:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Works great on my wife's Captivate.

I used the Google Nav and it worked flawlessly. Locked right on and then navigated accurately. I could even see us crossing the Yakima River just as we started across the bridge at 60MPH...

She had a good lock on before the JH7 update, I never tried the navigation while driving to check the lock-on until after JH7 update.

Works great on my wife's Captivate.

I used the Google Nav and it worked flawlessly. Locked right on and then navigated accurately. I could even see us crossing the Yakima River just as we started across the bridge at 60MPH...

She had a good lock on before the JH7 update, I never tried the navigation while driving to check the lock-on until after JH7 update.

128 of 212 (1,851 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2010 5:30:54 PM
(0)
Contributor

donaldat56 wrote:

That's a really asinine comment. The GPS is an intregral part of a smartphone, and having it not function properly is a major issue. Why don't you keep your piehole shut.

donaldat56 wrote:

That's a really asinine comment. The GPS is an intregral part of a smartphone, and having it not function properly is a major issue. Why don't you keep your piehole shut.

129 of 212 (1,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 29, 2010 9:26:46 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hy I have an unlocked Samsung Captivate.

I wasn´t able to download the update via phone because i keeo reciving can´t connect to at&t server so I did to update via KIES.

now I have quick office, adn al the phone data it shows JH7.

But I still can LOCK INTO A SATELLITE. I have instaled GPS Test and It finds up to 6 but never locks.

Can someone help me? wasn´t the JH7 the update to fix this problem? chatting with samsung they told me that this was the update suppously to fix the GPS.

Please help.

robert.

Hy I have an unlocked Samsung Captivate.

I wasn´t able to download the update via phone because i keeo reciving can´t connect to at&t server so I did to update via KIES.

now I have quick office, adn al the phone data it shows JH7.

But I still can LOCK INTO A SATELLITE. I have instaled GPS Test and It finds up to 6 but never locks.

Can someone help me? wasn´t the JH7 the update to fix this problem? chatting with samsung they told me that this was the update suppously to fix the GPS.

Please help.

robert.

136 of 212 (2,991 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 1:20:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Our Captivate GPS has never worked.  Literally never locks.  I downloaded the GPS Test app and it eventually finds 1 satelllite.  Just pathetic.

I was encouraged when the software upgrade came out.  We have the JH7 firmware but the GPS is no better.  The message above answers my query that basically the GPS update was NOT in this software update.  Why even push out an update when it doesnt address the #1 issue/complaint with this phone.

I just downloaded the Kies software and there is a firmware update button...but I am wary to try it as it says it erases the phone and it would be a major pain to re-install all the apps and re-customize everything.

This is what the phone info comes up with on Kies, can anyone verify that it is up to date and there is no additional upgrades possible using Kies?

Firmware:  I897UCJH7/I897ATTJF6

I897UCJH7/I897UCJH7

Not sure why they list 2.  Maybe the ATT connection.

thx

Our Captivate GPS has never worked.  Literally never locks.  I downloaded the GPS Test app and it eventually finds 1 satelllite.  Just pathetic.

I was encouraged when the software upgrade came out.  We have the JH7 firmware but the GPS is no better.  The message above answers my query that basically the GPS update was NOT in this software update.  Why even push out an update when it doesnt address the #1 issue/complaint with this phone.

I just downloaded the Kies software and there is a firmware update button...but I am wary to try it as it says it erases the phone and it would be a major pain to re-install all the apps and re-customize everything.

This is what the phone info comes up with on Kies, can anyone verify that it is up to date and there is no additional upgrades possible using Kies?

Firmware:  I897UCJH7/I897ATTJF6

I897UCJH7/I897UCJH7

Not sure why they list 2.  Maybe the ATT connection.

thx

142 of 212 (2,858 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 1:44:11 PM
(0)
Mentor

I called the number and they said the GPS issue hasn't been fixed and said updates are still being pushed...whatever that means!

I called the number and they said the GPS issue hasn't been fixed and said updates are still being pushed...whatever that means!

143 of 212 (2,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 1:49:46 PM
(0)
Tutor
I bought an Aria off eBay...Aria locks in almost immediately while the Captivate is still searching....I was using the update that I was lucky enough to fetch OTA too. No software update will fix this.....it is a hardware issue that sons the entire Galaxy S line.....just wait and update to a new phone next year. I wound up rooting the blasted thing and installing the Cognition Tom.....got rid of every ATT bloat and its super fast....too bad GPS is still worthless.
I bought an Aria off eBay...Aria locks in almost immediately while the Captivate is still searching....I was using the update that I was lucky enough to fetch OTA too. No software update will fix this.....it is a hardware issue that sons the entire Galaxy S line.....just wait and update to a new phone next year. I wound up rooting the blasted thing and installing the Cognition Tom.....got rid of every ATT bloat and its super fast....too bad GPS is still worthless.

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

144 of 212 (2,839 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2010 1:51:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
I meant to type "spans"...not "sons"
I meant to type "spans"...not "sons"

145 of 212 (2,838 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 1:03:45 PM
(0)
Tutor

gaiking,

I totally agree on the hardware vs. software as the source of the problem. If some people have the problem and others don't then it makes sense that Samsung has a major quality control issue in their manufacturing or with their GPS chipset supplier.

I wanted to get a Captivate but I think I will likely have to wait for the next Galaxy S type phone to hit AT&T and see if it is a more solid/well tested platform.

gaiking,

I totally agree on the hardware vs. software as the source of the problem. If some people have the problem and others don't then it makes sense that Samsung has a major quality control issue in their manufacturing or with their GPS chipset supplier.

I wanted to get a Captivate but I think I will likely have to wait for the next Galaxy S type phone to hit AT&T and see if it is a more solid/well tested platform.

146 of 212 (2,686 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2010 1:33:21 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Oct 1, 2010 at 1:34:32 PM

Captivate is hardly an anomaly of Samsung quality. Almost all Samsung smartphones are released this way. I just dissapointed that Samsung hasn't learnt its lessons after so many years.

FYI, I owned Samsung BlackJack 1, BlackJack 2, Jack in the past.

Captivate is hardly an anomaly of Samsung quality. Almost all Samsung smartphones are released this way. I just dissapointed that Samsung hasn't learnt its lessons after so many years.

FYI, I owned Samsung BlackJack 1, BlackJack 2, Jack in the past.

[ Edited ]
147 of 212 (2,668 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2010 4:15:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

Since the introduction of galaxy S, I have used 1 vibrant and 6 captivates. Since July, I used the GPS from Galaxy S to navigate to work and travel. I live in Florida, traveled to California, Washington and Canada. I spent numerous hours on internet and playing different settings with the phones. Let me share my GPS experience. Hope this helps the community.

My first phone was a vibrant. No GPS issues at all. The problem was poor the Tmobile network and had to return the phone.

Then I had try 4 captivates, all had some kind of gps problems to certain. I was able to log on the satellites typically in a few minutes. It would be faster if I rebooted the phones. That tells me there are some software problems. The positions were sometime off even though google map told me the accuracy was 10 meters. Could not  trust it for navigation. I tried the *#1472365*# posted on internet, never worked. All 4 captivates returned to ATT.

My 5th captivate was very good initially. The moment I walked out of the ATT store, I could lock to the satellites within seconds. I was so happy until I downloaded the latest version of google map. logging on the satellites was never a problem provided I run the GPS test. Positions were always off during navigation. I wanted to uninstall the google map and I did not know how to. Two days ago, I wanted to try upgrading to the JH7 software. After upgrade, I could not reboot the phone. I have no alternatives but to do a hard reset. I was so happy that I did it. The GPS worked perfectly. Very accurate. I tried downloading the new google map again. Immediately, I had problems navigating. This time, I know how to uninstall google map by uninstalling from the android market. Right away, the GPS works! Using GPS test, I could get 8 out of 9 or 9 out of 9 most of the time within seconds.

Here are my conclusions.

First, you should not have to do anything to get the GPS to work if it does. If it does not work out of the box, I believe it is a hardware problem. Return to ATT and try another one. If there can be a software update fix, Samsung would have done it a long time ago. The *#1472365*# does not help navigation. Second, The JH7 upgrade makes logging on the satellite very fast. But many people reported that it does not fix the GPS problem.

Third, Don’t use the new google map and it causes problems if you have a working GPS.

Overall, I am disappointed with the Samsung quality control. But after 5 phones, I have a working one.

Since the introduction of galaxy S, I have used 1 vibrant and 6 captivates. Since July, I used the GPS from Galaxy S to navigate to work and travel. I live in Florida, traveled to California, Washington and Canada. I spent numerous hours on internet and playing different settings with the phones. Let me share my GPS experience. Hope this helps the community.

My first phone was a vibrant. No GPS issues at all. The problem was poor the Tmobile network and had to return the phone.

Then I had try 4 captivates, all had some kind of gps problems to certain. I was able to log on the satellites typically in a few minutes. It would be faster if I rebooted the phones. That tells me there are some software problems. The positions were sometime off even though google map told me the accuracy was 10 meters. Could not  trust it for navigation. I tried the *#1472365*# posted on internet, never worked. All 4 captivates returned to ATT.

My 5th captivate was very good initially. The moment I walked out of the ATT store, I could lock to the satellites within seconds. I was so happy until I downloaded the latest version of google map. logging on the satellites was never a problem provided I run the GPS test. Positions were always off during navigation. I wanted to uninstall the google map and I did not know how to. Two days ago, I wanted to try upgrading to the JH7 software. After upgrade, I could not reboot the phone. I have no alternatives but to do a hard reset. I was so happy that I did it. The GPS worked perfectly. Very accurate. I tried downloading the new google map again. Immediately, I had problems navigating. This time, I know how to uninstall google map by uninstalling from the android market. Right away, the GPS works! Using GPS test, I could get 8 out of 9 or 9 out of 9 most of the time within seconds.

Here are my conclusions.

First, you should not have to do anything to get the GPS to work if it does. If it does not work out of the box, I believe it is a hardware problem. Return to ATT and try another one. If there can be a software update fix, Samsung would have done it a long time ago. The *#1472365*# does not help navigation. Second, The JH7 upgrade makes logging on the satellite very fast. But many people reported that it does not fix the GPS problem.

Third, Don’t use the new google map and it causes problems if you have a working GPS.

Overall, I am disappointed with the Samsung quality control. But after 5 phones, I have a working one.

148 of 212 (2,567 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 10:40:38 AM
(0)
Mentor

I just got off the phone with Samsung (I call every other week to check in)  They still have no clue.   They acknowledge that the patch should have fixed the issue, but also acknowledge that they are receiving a ton of complaints in regards to the GPS. 

I did ask if this turns out to be a hardware issue should I be expecting a recall.  The response was yes... but they don't know when they will know if it is a hardware or software issue (a bit concerning.) 

I just got off the phone with Samsung (I call every other week to check in)  They still have no clue.   They acknowledge that the patch should have fixed the issue, but also acknowledge that they are receiving a ton of complaints in regards to the GPS. 

I did ask if this turns out to be a hardware issue should I be expecting a recall.  The response was yes... but they don't know when they will know if it is a hardware or software issue (a bit concerning.) 

149 of 212 (2,390 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 4, 2010 10:44:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

This is so sad because this is near the perfect phone...

This is so sad because this is near the perfect phone...

150 of 212 (2,387 Views)