For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

Hmm. I wonder why we are having different experiences? Location has not mattered to me and I don't have any trouble getting a lock (no blue halo). My lock takes 3 -6 seconds. The only issue I have is that I first have to enable the the gps app I downloaded to get a lock, it is not automatic. So when does this become an issue? If I turn off the phone (which is rare). My phone is usually using 6 sats. When I compared speed to my sons IPhone, the IPhone did get a lock in less then 2 seconds so measurably faster. But I didn't see any lag on my road trip once I had a lock. Having said that, one thing that was very annoying on the road trip is that the map view itself did not move with the blue arrow. The blue arrow moved with me, and off the map. So I had to swype the screen to move the map. I would say if you are looking for a car navigation device definately go with the IPhone just for that reason.

Scholar

• 

55 Messages

14 years ago

@sdhobbs wrote:

Hmm. I wonder why we are having different experiences? Location has not mattered to me and I don't have any trouble getting a lock (no blue halo). My lock takes 3 -6 seconds. The only issue I have is that I first have to enable the the gps app I downloaded to get a lock, it is not automatic. So when does this become an issue? If I turn off the phone (which is rare). My phone is usually using 6 sats. When I compared speed to my sons IPhone, the IPhone did get a lock in less then 2 seconds so measurably faster. But I didn't see any lag on my road trip once I had a lock. Having said that, one thing that was very annoying on the road trip is that the map view itself did not move with the blue arrow. The blue arrow moved with me, and off the map. So I had to swype the screen to move the map. I would say if you are looking for a car navigation device definately go with the IPhone just for that reason.

If you click the my location button in the menu it will update the map to stay on you. Our Google maps have more options than the IPhone version. We have latitude and turn by turn, which IPhone doesn't have and probably won't get at least not any time soon.

For those of you on the fence, there will be a update to fix the GPS issues. You can check the galaxy support on twitter and or call samsung. Also there is a leaked updated ROM from AT&T with the fix among other changes.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

I did the fix everyone is talking about and its much much better now. Its locking allright, it takes about 1-2 minutes though, which is okay because my Tom Tom takes about the same time after a cold start.

Kudos to the fix !! Captivate rocks.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

The so-called fix will only last you a few days. If it is really fixed, you should get satellite locks in seconds, not minutes consistently.

The only real fix has yet to come. Samsung just leaked another beta firmware (JH3). Not sure what has changed in this new firmware.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

The only real fix has yet to come. Samsung just leaked another beta firmware (JH3). Not sure what has changed in this new firmware.

Foxbat, do you even have a Captivate? Your profile doesn't list it. I am not having any problems. Is there anyone on this board who actually does own a Captivate and is having problems?

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

I have a Captivate...I love it...but my GPS is unusable. This is a problem for many people.....if your Captivate has no issues then you're lucky. If this wasnt an issue for so many people then there wouldn't be so many forum posts all over xda and various other android forums with "fixes" that never really work.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

@sdhobbs wrote:

Foxbat, do you even have a Captivate? Your profile doesn't list it. I am not having any problems. Is there anyone on this board who actually does own a Captivate and is having problems?

If there is no problem, why Samsung openly admit it and promise a fix in Sept time frame? As for whether or not your GPS works, it depends how you use it. I won't waste too much time here to describe it. Most ppl have no clue how their GPS worked or not working, IMO.

And I own more Samsung smartphones than you can ever imagine. And I'm on JH3 firmware right now. Just a hint.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

If there is no problem, why Samsung openly admit it and promise a fix in Sept time frame? As for whether or not your GPS works, it depends how you use it. I won't waste too much time here to describe it. Most ppl have no clue how their GPS worked or not working, IMO.

Yes, I just find it interesting that not everyone is experiencing the same problem.  I know how gps works, and mine works fine. But as a past industry analyst, I also know that there could be other issues besides design and until the mfg actually figures out what the issue is, it is in their best interest to say that they have a fix and to give a proposed date for release (for PR purposes) while they are scrambling behind the scenes to figure out what the issue actually is. As a postscript, my apologies if I offended, but it appeared in your earlier posts that you were speaking from a position of personal experience with the device. To other forum users, it would be useful to know that you don't actually have this specific device. Until the actual source of the problem is identified (i.e. hardware, software, manufacturing quality control, os?) forum users may like to distinguish between first person experience and vicarious experience or opinion. Having said that, it does help to read your posts when you share other resources (e.g., links to other blogs and forums) as well as your personal experience with your devices so that users have as much information as possible.

Scholar

• 

159 Messages

14 years ago

@sdhobbs wrote:

This is a well docuemented problem.  some phones have major issues other phones don't have issues at all.  you must be one of the lucky ones.  it is only happening to certain phones.  maybe there was a chip switch in the middle of production.

also samsung has been leaking updates out over the network so you might have gotten on who knows.

That said there is an issue with the GPS on the All galaxy S phones at least in the US.

Samsung is releasing a fix in september i think right along with froyo which would make the most sense.

now the question becomes will ATT release the fix or keep it janked up so that more people buy iphones.

i could careless about the gps on the phone i have a real gps device.  i want the phone simply because it does everything that i want.

music, ebook reader, etc etc etc...  it is really the phone that does it all and for pretty cheap if you go with one of the online deals they have.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

14 years ago

ugh! I hate that blue "Post" button in the mobile version of these forums. My finger is drawn to it like flies to a pile of poo.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.