Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 23, 2010
6:46:12 AM
View profile
Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Captivate - GPS Issues

211 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(211)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 1:14:31 PM
(0)
Tutor

Many of us have already received the email from Samsung acknowledging there is a GPS problem and they are working on it, with no definitive date for issuance of a fix, and we all know this doesn't help us if we are worrying about our 30 day ATT return policy. What I am about to write should therefore be taken with a grain of salt, but may give solace to some of you. I spoke yesterday to a Samsung level 3 tech regarding another Captivate problem, involving Exchange mail (software glitch, fixed). After we were done, I asked her about the GPS and Froyo. She couldn't give me a date, but indicated that there had been a lot of internal debate about whether to issue these updates  together or separate, but she thought that they both had been pushed out by Samsung in Europe already, which would imply that they should be coming to us soon. Can anyone confirm what she told me about Samsung already pushing out the GPS fix and Froyo in Europe? I'll feel a lot better.

Many of us have already received the email from Samsung acknowledging there is a GPS problem and they are working on it, with no definitive date for issuance of a fix, and we all know this doesn't help us if we are worrying about our 30 day ATT return policy. What I am about to write should therefore be taken with a grain of salt, but may give solace to some of you. I spoke yesterday to a Samsung level 3 tech regarding another Captivate problem, involving Exchange mail (software glitch, fixed). After we were done, I asked her about the GPS and Froyo. She couldn't give me a date, but indicated that there had been a lot of internal debate about whether to issue these updates  together or separate, but she thought that they both had been pushed out by Samsung in Europe already, which would imply that they should be coming to us soon. Can anyone confirm what she told me about Samsung already pushing out the GPS fix and Froyo in Europe? I'll feel a lot better.

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues

43 of 212 (5,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2010 2:35:25 PM
(0)
Master

There was a leaked early build of Froyo (as feature incomplete) in Europe. And no GPS fix although they informed many of their european partners that there will be one.

Froyo won't be officially released in Europe until later Sept.

There was a leaked early build of Froyo (as feature incomplete) in Europe. And no GPS fix although they informed many of their european partners that there will be one.

Froyo won't be officially released in Europe until later Sept.

44 of 212 (4,965 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 4, 2010 7:33:36 AM
(0)
Tutor

So she lied to me. Great. I'm returning this at day 29 if it isn't fixed until then -- you can't trust Samsung, and ATT is OTL -- maybe they are counting on bringing me back to Blackberry with the Torch....

So she lied to me. Great. I'm returning this at day 29 if it isn't fixed until then -- you can't trust Samsung, and ATT is OTL -- maybe they are counting on bringing me back to Blackberry with the Torch....

46 of 212 (4,841 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 11:29:27 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks Tony, This worked for me immediately! I wasn't having trouble using ATT's maps/navigation, but google nav could not locate me -- now it works flawlessly!

Thanks Tony, This worked for me immediately! I wasn't having trouble using ATT's maps/navigation, but google nav could not locate me -- now it works flawlessly!

52 of 212 (4,677 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2010 3:29:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

Okay, did the driving test, drove over 250 miles city, burbs, and country and never lost my lock once. I have not modified my settings (Did not do Tony's post) but did download the GPS test by Chartcross. My gps lock never takes longer then 3 seconds. But having said that, it appears that apps like google map and att maps do not  call a routine on initial launch to find gps signal. I cannot tell what app or ui actions call the routine (other then tapping "my location" key but it is clear that it does not happen on initial launch with these apps but does with the Chartcross app and Androids power manager app. Once I am locked in, I never lose my lock and tracking speed was perfect at 80 mph. So my point is, this is a software problem not a hardware problem. So I would say keep your phone and find an easy way to call the correct routine either within the app you are using or my using the power manager toggle app or the Chartcross app.

Okay, did the driving test, drove over 250 miles city, burbs, and country and never lost my lock once. I have not modified my settings (Did not do Tony's post) but did download the GPS test by Chartcross. My gps lock never takes longer then 3 seconds. But having said that, it appears that apps like google map and att maps do not  call a routine on initial launch to find gps signal. I cannot tell what app or ui actions call the routine (other then tapping "my location" key but it is clear that it does not happen on initial launch with these apps but does with the Chartcross app and Androids power manager app. Once I am locked in, I never lose my lock and tracking speed was perfect at 80 mph. So my point is, this is a software problem not a hardware problem. So I would say keep your phone and find an easy way to call the correct routine either within the app you are using or my using the power manager toggle app or the Chartcross app.

53 of 212 (4,629 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 7, 2010 8:12:30 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by vidguy7 on Aug 7, 2010 at 8:18:21 AM

Let's not forgtet that 'geotagging' of pictures is an absolute ZERO.  I'd say about 95% of my pictures had no location info on them at all.  So if this feature means anything to you, it's 100% broken.

I should also note that Tony's fix did not work at all.  I saw two different versions of this 'fix' and neither worked.  GPS is broken, period.

Let's not forgtet that 'geotagging' of pictures is an absolute ZERO.  I'd say about 95% of my pictures had no location info on them at all.  So if this feature means anything to you, it's 100% broken.

I should also note that Tony's fix did not work at all.  I saw two different versions of this 'fix' and neither worked.  GPS is broken, period.

[ Edited ]
54 of 212 (4,446 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 8, 2010 11:31:03 AM
(0)
Voyager

>People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc.

I am amazed at how few people understand the difference. 

>People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc.

I am amazed at how few people understand the difference. 

55 of 212 (4,331 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 7:40:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Good Luck everyone... I have a bad taste left in my mouth still from the Samsung Epix ordeal...

Took them almost a year to create a patch for the phone locking up (slog dump issue).  Then that patch broke GPS...  It took them two years from date of purchase to fix both slog dump and GPS issue with windows mobile 6.5 rom update.  The phone wasn't even forsale that long at AT&T.  Samsung is not a very good cell phone provider anymore...

The Epix still does not provide true 3G speeds... the built in LED never worked as it should... no patch has ever fixed these issues.

I am really interested in seeing how they respond to the Captivate issues... I was even debating getting one, but based on the above experience I had I am very gun shy at this time.

Good Luck everyone... I have a bad taste left in my mouth still from the Samsung Epix ordeal...

Took them almost a year to create a patch for the phone locking up (slog dump issue).  Then that patch broke GPS...  It took them two years from date of purchase to fix both slog dump and GPS issue with windows mobile 6.5 rom update.  The phone wasn't even forsale that long at AT&T.  Samsung is not a very good cell phone provider anymore...

The Epix still does not provide true 3G speeds... the built in LED never worked as it should... no patch has ever fixed these issues.

I am really interested in seeing how they respond to the Captivate issues... I was even debating getting one, but based on the above experience I had I am very gun shy at this time.

56 of 212 (3,934 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 9:29:48 PM
(0)
Tutor

I returned mine yesterday and got an HTC Aria.  The screen is not as great, but everything works perfectly.  The GPS is flawless, there are no lag issues, even though it is only a 600mhz processor.

After getting this phone I  also feel that the Samsung has serious issues with motion in general. Balance games are much more responsive and true to reality on the Aria, than the Samsung.  Didn't realize it was an issue until I had something to compare it to. I miss the large screen, but nothing else.

The store did admit that it is all Captivates that have the GPS issue.  I then heard a salesman tell a new Captivate buyer that "he just wanted to him that there was a slight problem with the accuracy of the GPS". It was very hard to keep my mouth shut on that comment.

By time all was said and done, the Aria cost me a total of $50.00, the balance was rufunded that was paid for the Captivate.

I returned mine yesterday and got an HTC Aria.  The screen is not as great, but everything works perfectly.  The GPS is flawless, there are no lag issues, even though it is only a 600mhz processor.

After getting this phone I  also feel that the Samsung has serious issues with motion in general. Balance games are much more responsive and true to reality on the Aria, than the Samsung.  Didn't realize it was an issue until I had something to compare it to. I miss the large screen, but nothing else.

The store did admit that it is all Captivates that have the GPS issue.  I then heard a salesman tell a new Captivate buyer that "he just wanted to him that there was a slight problem with the accuracy of the GPS". It was very hard to keep my mouth shut on that comment.

By time all was said and done, the Aria cost me a total of $50.00, the balance was rufunded that was paid for the Captivate.

Re: Captivate - GPS Issues - Returned

57 of 212 (3,912 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2010 10:20:10 PM
(0)
Teacher

I get great gps locks, I have tried three different golf gps aps and tested the distances against the results of a laser range finder. All three aps were within 2 yards of the range finder results. I'd say that's pretty good. I've also used google maps and the navigator beta version from google. Traveling on interstates or regular roads I get outstanding accuracy. I shouldn't admit this but I watched my blue dot cross over intersections as I was driving through them several times and every time it was spot on. The only time you lose gps lock is when you put your phone too far away from the windshield where it loses sight of the sky. (News Flash: a $500 garmen does the same thing when it has a roof over its head.) I would say this is more of a user issue than anything else.

I get great gps locks, I have tried three different golf gps aps and tested the distances against the results of a laser range finder. All three aps were within 2 yards of the range finder results. I'd say that's pretty good. I've also used google maps and the navigator beta version from google. Traveling on interstates or regular roads I get outstanding accuracy. I shouldn't admit this but I watched my blue dot cross over intersections as I was driving through them several times and every time it was spot on. The only time you lose gps lock is when you put your phone too far away from the windshield where it loses sight of the sky. (News Flash: a $500 garmen does the same thing when it has a roof over its head.) I would say this is more of a user issue than anything else.

58 of 212 (3,892 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 4:31:09 AM
(0)
Master

It is not a user error. Otherwise, Samsung won't admit it openly. The GPS driver in the phone is obviously broken. It will never lock on to more than 8 satellites, can't lock on the satellites with snr < 20 and often lost lock. Results may vary depending on your location. The biggest problem is the accuracy stinks. If you're using Google Navigator, you will see a blue shadowy circle surround your arrow. That's the amount of inaccuracy your GPS currently has. Ideally the circle should be so small that it is invisible.

There is now a leaked firmware for Captivate which has the fixed GPS driver. It can now allow the GPS lock on to as many as 11 satellites with snr as low as 12. Unfortunately, this firmware also removed some favourate features in the original firmware as well as added additional restictions to app marketplace. Not sure if this one will be the final release or just an alpha/beta test. 

It is not a user error. Otherwise, Samsung won't admit it openly. The GPS driver in the phone is obviously broken. It will never lock on to more than 8 satellites, can't lock on the satellites with snr < 20 and often lost lock. Results may vary depending on your location. The biggest problem is the accuracy stinks. If you're using Google Navigator, you will see a blue shadowy circle surround your arrow. That's the amount of inaccuracy your GPS currently has. Ideally the circle should be so small that it is invisible.

There is now a leaked firmware for Captivate which has the fixed GPS driver. It can now allow the GPS lock on to as many as 11 satellites with snr as low as 12. Unfortunately, this firmware also removed some favourate features in the original firmware as well as added additional restictions to app marketplace. Not sure if this one will be the final release or just an alpha/beta test. 

59 of 212 (4,191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 7:34:10 AM
(0)
Scholar

Sadly, if this doesn't get fixed by my 30 days, I will have to take it back.  I can't be stuck with a phone for 2 YEARS that doesn't have gps.  (I'm also disappointed with the camera).

Sadly, if this doesn't get fixed by my 30 days, I will have to take it back.  I can't be stuck with a phone for 2 YEARS that doesn't have gps.  (I'm also disappointed with the camera).

posted from my Captivate.

60 of 212 (4,159 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 12:33:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

wamccoy wrote:

I would say this is more of a user issue than anything else.

And you would be very wrong in that statement.

wamccoy wrote:

I would say this is more of a user issue than anything else.

And you would be very wrong in that statement.

61 of 212 (4,076 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 1:11:00 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hmm. I wonder why we are having different experiences? Location has not mattered to me and I don't have any trouble getting a lock (no blue halo). My lock takes 3 -6 seconds. The only issue I have is that I first have to enable the the gps app I downloaded to get a lock, it is not automatic. So when does this become an issue? If I turn off the phone (which is rare). My phone is usually using 6 sats. When I compared speed to my sons IPhone, the IPhone did get a lock in less then 2 seconds so measurably faster. But I didn't see any lag on my road trip once I had a lock. Having said that, one thing that was very annoying on the road trip is that the map view itself did not move with the blue arrow. The blue arrow moved with me, and off the map. So I had to swype the screen to move the map. I would say if you are looking for a car navigation device definately go with the IPhone just for that reason.

Hmm. I wonder why we are having different experiences? Location has not mattered to me and I don't have any trouble getting a lock (no blue halo). My lock takes 3 -6 seconds. The only issue I have is that I first have to enable the the gps app I downloaded to get a lock, it is not automatic. So when does this become an issue? If I turn off the phone (which is rare). My phone is usually using 6 sats. When I compared speed to my sons IPhone, the IPhone did get a lock in less then 2 seconds so measurably faster. But I didn't see any lag on my road trip once I had a lock. Having said that, one thing that was very annoying on the road trip is that the map view itself did not move with the blue arrow. The blue arrow moved with me, and off the map. So I had to swype the screen to move the map. I would say if you are looking for a car navigation device definately go with the IPhone just for that reason.

62 of 212 (4,055 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 13, 2010 1:24:20 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by wgarrido on Aug 13, 2010 at 1:25:42 PM

sdhobbs wrote:

If you click the my location button in the menu it will update the map to stay on you. Our Google maps have more options than the IPhone version. We have latitude and turn by turn, which IPhone doesn't have and probably won't get at least not any time soon.

For those of you on the fence, there will be a update to fix the GPS issues. You can check the galaxy support on twitter and or call samsung. Also there is a leaked updated ROM from AT&T with the fix among other changes.

sdhobbs wrote:

If you click the my location button in the menu it will update the map to stay on you. Our Google maps have more options than the IPhone version. We have latitude and turn by turn, which IPhone doesn't have and probably won't get at least not any time soon.

For those of you on the fence, there will be a update to fix the GPS issues. You can check the galaxy support on twitter and or call samsung. Also there is a leaked updated ROM from AT&T with the fix among other changes.

[ Edited ]
63 of 212 (4,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 8:58:42 AM
(0)
Contributor

I did the fix everyone is talking about and its much much better now. Its locking allright, it takes about 1-2 minutes though, which is okay because my Tom Tom takes about the same time after a cold start.

Kudos to the fix !! Captivate rocks.

I did the fix everyone is talking about and its much much better now. Its locking allright, it takes about 1-2 minutes though, which is okay because my Tom Tom takes about the same time after a cold start.

Kudos to the fix !! Captivate rocks.

64 of 212 (3,811 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 11:51:19 AM
(0)
Master

The so-called fix will only last you a few days. If it is really fixed, you should get satellite locks in seconds, not minutes consistently.

The only real fix has yet to come. Samsung just leaked another beta firmware (JH3). Not sure what has changed in this new firmware.

The so-called fix will only last you a few days. If it is really fixed, you should get satellite locks in seconds, not minutes consistently.

The only real fix has yet to come. Samsung just leaked another beta firmware (JH3). Not sure what has changed in this new firmware.

65 of 212 (3,778 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 1:41:05 PM
(0)
Teacher

Foxbat, do you even have a Captivate? Your profile doesn't list it. I am not having any problems. Is there anyone on this board who actually does own a Captivate and is having problems?

Foxbat, do you even have a Captivate? Your profile doesn't list it. I am not having any problems. Is there anyone on this board who actually does own a Captivate and is having problems?

66 of 212 (3,759 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 2:06:04 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have a Captivate...I love it...but my GPS is unusable. This is a problem for many people.....if your Captivate has no issues then you're lucky. If this wasnt an issue for so many people then there wouldn't be so many forum posts all over xda and various other android forums with "fixes" that never really work.
I have a Captivate...I love it...but my GPS is unusable. This is a problem for many people.....if your Captivate has no issues then you're lucky. If this wasnt an issue for so many people then there wouldn't be so many forum posts all over xda and various other android forums with "fixes" that never really work.

67 of 212 (3,757 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 4:51:54 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Aug 18, 2010 at 4:54:11 PM

sdhobbs wrote:

If there is no problem, why Samsung openly admit it and promise a fix in Sept time frame? As for whether or not your GPS works, it depends how you use it. I won't waste too much time here to describe it. Most ppl have no clue how their GPS worked or not working, IMO.

And I own more Samsung smartphones than you can ever imagine. And I'm on JH3 firmware right now. Just a hint.

sdhobbs wrote:

If there is no problem, why Samsung openly admit it and promise a fix in Sept time frame? As for whether or not your GPS works, it depends how you use it. I won't waste too much time here to describe it. Most ppl have no clue how their GPS worked or not working, IMO.

And I own more Samsung smartphones than you can ever imagine. And I'm on JH3 firmware right now. Just a hint.

[ Edited ]
68 of 212 (3,716 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 7:13:04 PM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I just find it interesting that not everyone is experiencing the same problem.  I know how gps works, and mine works fine. But as a past industry analyst, I also know that there could be other issues besides design and until the mfg actually figures out what the issue is, it is in their best interest to say that they have a fix and to give a proposed date for release (for PR purposes) while they are scrambling behind the scenes to figure out what the issue actually is. As a postscript, my apologies if I offended, but it appeared in your earlier posts that you were speaking from a position of personal experience with the device. To other forum users, it would be useful to know that you don't actually have this specific device. Until the actual source of the problem is identified (i.e. hardware, software, manufacturing quality control, os?) forum users may like to distinguish between first person experience and vicarious experience or opinion. Having said that, it does help to read your posts when you share other resources (e.g., links to other blogs and forums) as well as your personal experience with your devices so that users have as much information as possible.

Yes, I just find it interesting that not everyone is experiencing the same problem.  I know how gps works, and mine works fine. But as a past industry analyst, I also know that there could be other issues besides design and until the mfg actually figures out what the issue is, it is in their best interest to say that they have a fix and to give a proposed date for release (for PR purposes) while they are scrambling behind the scenes to figure out what the issue actually is. As a postscript, my apologies if I offended, but it appeared in your earlier posts that you were speaking from a position of personal experience with the device. To other forum users, it would be useful to know that you don't actually have this specific device. Until the actual source of the problem is identified (i.e. hardware, software, manufacturing quality control, os?) forum users may like to distinguish between first person experience and vicarious experience or opinion. Having said that, it does help to read your posts when you share other resources (e.g., links to other blogs and forums) as well as your personal experience with your devices so that users have as much information as possible.

69 of 212 (5,033 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 8:59:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

sdhobbs wrote:

This is a well docuemented problem.  some phones have major issues other phones don't have issues at all.  you must be one of the lucky ones.  it is only happening to certain phones.  maybe there was a chip switch in the middle of production.

also samsung has been leaking updates out over the network so you might have gotten on who knows.

That said there is an issue with the GPS on the All galaxy S phones at least in the US.

Samsung is releasing a fix in september i think right along with froyo which would make the most sense.

now the question becomes will ATT release the fix or keep it janked up so that more people buy iphones.

i could careless about the gps on the phone i have a real gps device.  i want the phone simply because it does everything that i want.

music, ebook reader, etc etc etc...  it is really the phone that does it all and for pretty cheap if you go with one of the online deals they have.

sdhobbs wrote:

This is a well docuemented problem.  some phones have major issues other phones don't have issues at all.  you must be one of the lucky ones.  it is only happening to certain phones.  maybe there was a chip switch in the middle of production.

also samsung has been leaking updates out over the network so you might have gotten on who knows.

That said there is an issue with the GPS on the All galaxy S phones at least in the US.

Samsung is releasing a fix in september i think right along with froyo which would make the most sense.

now the question becomes will ATT release the fix or keep it janked up so that more people buy iphones.

i could careless about the gps on the phone i have a real gps device.  i want the phone simply because it does everything that i want.

music, ebook reader, etc etc etc...  it is really the phone that does it all and for pretty cheap if you go with one of the online deals they have.

70 of 212 (4,996 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 10:14:56 PM
(0)
Guru
ugh! I hate that blue "Post" button in the mobile version of these forums. My finger is drawn to it like flies to a pile of poo.
ugh! I hate that blue "Post" button in the mobile version of these forums. My finger is drawn to it like flies to a pile of poo.

71 of 212 (4,989 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 18, 2010 10:39:09 PM
(0)
Teacher

Mystery, I wouldn't be surprised if ATT hesitated on the fix. When I bought the Captivate at the store, the sales rep tried everything to talk me out of it and sell the IPhone 4. ATT must have a much better rev return on the ATT deal vs the Samsung. I noticed that the each store has to report IPhone unit sales each day at EOB, but not on any other devices.

Mystery, I wouldn't be surprised if ATT hesitated on the fix. When I bought the Captivate at the store, the sales rep tried everything to talk me out of it and sell the IPhone 4. ATT must have a much better rev return on the ATT deal vs the Samsung. I noticed that the each store has to report IPhone unit sales each day at EOB, but not on any other devices.

72 of 212 (4,976 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2010 12:51:45 AM
(0)
Scholar

Yea i know you would think that this phone would get some attention.  it doesn't i actually had to go hunt for it in the stores wall o phones.

att is so much in bed with apple that you might never get them separated.

if they do come out with a fix i would help they would make it an ota update or make it a software install update.  i am thinking they are going to fix it when they release froyo which is suppose to be in september as well.  it just makes sense.

the question then is will att release froyo in a decent amount of time of just let us sit there and stew and never do it.

Yea i know you would think that this phone would get some attention.  it doesn't i actually had to go hunt for it in the stores wall o phones.

att is so much in bed with apple that you might never get them separated.

if they do come out with a fix i would help they would make it an ota update or make it a software install update.  i am thinking they are going to fix it when they release froyo which is suppose to be in september as well.  it just makes sense.

the question then is will att release froyo in a decent amount of time of just let us sit there and stew and never do it.

73 of 212 (4,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 19, 2010 8:25:33 AM
(0)
Contributor

Tony,

Everything you said is absolutely accurate except the SUPL PORT. SUPL PORT is 7275 that shouldn't be changed to 7276. Google SUPL server is configured for 7275. Almost all the SUPL servers in industry are programmed for 7275 as it is a industry wide standard written in OMA SUPL Specs.

All,

The Key reason for Samsung Captivate GPS issues is that, The production software on Samsung devices is not set to Operator based settings, instead they are set to LAB test system settings. It is a software setting issue that needs to be corrected.

Standalone GPS lock takes longer time than Assisted GPS fix. As Tony noted above Position method was set to Standalone GPS Captivate was taking long time to give position fix.

Hope this helps everyone.

I am using captivate, after chang

TonySturch wrote:

Theres a few howtos out there.  Do a quick google search.  Anyway, this has been shamelessly pilfered from another site:

If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix.  In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break.  [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]

• Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
  • Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* .  Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
  • Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
  • Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
  • Step 5 -- Reboot your phone.
  • Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

If you want to reverse these changes, the original specs are:

Operation Mode: Standalone
SERVER: www.spirent-lcs.com
PORT: 7275

This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate.  Just take your time, and follow the directions closely.  And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.

ing the settings as said by Tony i get excellent GPS performance by Captivate

Tony,

Everything you said is absolutely accurate except the SUPL PORT. SUPL PORT is 7275 that shouldn't be changed to 7276. Google SUPL server is configured for 7275. Almost all the SUPL servers in industry are programmed for 7275 as it is a industry wide standard written in OMA SUPL Specs.

All,

The Key reason for Samsung Captivate GPS issues is that, The production software on Samsung devices is not set to Operator based settings, instead they are set to LAB test system settings. It is a software setting issue that needs to be corrected.

Standalone GPS lock takes longer time than Assisted GPS fix. As Tony noted above Position method was set to Standalone GPS Captivate was taking long time to give position fix.

Hope this helps everyone.

I am using captivate, after chang

TonySturch wrote:

Theres a few howtos out there.  Do a quick google search.  Anyway, this has been shamelessly pilfered from another site:

If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix.  In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break.  [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]

• Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
  • Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* .  Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
  • Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
  • Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
  • Step 5 -- Reboot your phone.
  • Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

If you want to reverse these changes, the original specs are:

Operation Mode: Standalone
SERVER: www.spirent-lcs.com
PORT: 7275

This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate.  Just take your time, and follow the directions closely.  And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.

ing the settings as said by Tony i get excellent GPS performance by Captivate

74 of 212 (4,927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 1, 2010 2:55:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

I downloaded a GPS tracking app and it's saying (pretty quickly, and without the suggested fix) that it sees 5-7 satellites. However it's showing that it's "Using" 0 of them.  And in google's Navigate app the "Searching for GPS" just sits there at the bottom of the screen indefinitely.

Does anyone else see similar behavior?

I'm totally loving Android and have (finally) convinced my wife that it's far superior to the iPhone, and obviously this is a Samsung issue, and not an Android issue, but they really should be a LOT more proactive about getting the fix out.  It's not as though this is some hidden bug that no one notices. The Navigate app is singly the most impressive thing out of the box and anyone who is showing their friends this device will almost certainly go to it first... Having it routinely fail, like this, is really terrible.

I downloaded a GPS tracking app and it's saying (pretty quickly, and without the suggested fix) that it sees 5-7 satellites. However it's showing that it's "Using" 0 of them.  And in google's Navigate app the "Searching for GPS" just sits there at the bottom of the screen indefinitely.

Does anyone else see similar behavior?

I'm totally loving Android and have (finally) convinced my wife that it's far superior to the iPhone, and obviously this is a Samsung issue, and not an Android issue, but they really should be a LOT more proactive about getting the fix out.  It's not as though this is some hidden bug that no one notices. The Navigate app is singly the most impressive thing out of the box and anyone who is showing their friends this device will almost certainly go to it first... Having it routinely fail, like this, is really terrible.

75 of 212 (4,257 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 8:37:03 AM
(0)
Voyager

I have a Captivate.  I have tried the GPS side by side with an EVO and an Incredible... both of the HTC devices always locked on in under 10 seconds where the captivate always took several minutes or more (often longer than I was willing to wait).

I had what seemed to be marginally better results using the Google SUPL server... but still nothing even close to the performance of the other devices.

I have a Captivate.  I have tried the GPS side by side with an EVO and an Incredible... both of the HTC devices always locked on in under 10 seconds where the captivate always took several minutes or more (often longer than I was willing to wait).

I had what seemed to be marginally better results using the Google SUPL server... but still nothing even close to the performance of the other devices.

76 of 212 (4,148 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 2, 2010 6:32:45 PM
(0)
Teacher

I have (or had) an AT&T Samsung Captivate. Sadly, I returned it today because of the same GPS isssue that you are having. It was one of the best smartphones I have used in a long while and I was really disappointed about returning it, but after reading every online forum discussing this problem ( and there are a lot!!) and trying all the fixes, my GPS was still useless. Using CoPilot live was just laughable. It would appear to lock on and it would give me an accurate location, but as soon as I started driving, things would get crazy. It would show me driving on an incorrect street. The streets would just slowly spin likely I was making a turn, even though I was going straight ahead. When I stopped it would show me still moving. And then when I finally did stop, it would sometimes continue to drift randomly like the car was still going. I couldn't navigate around the block like that.

The ATT salespeople all denied any knowledge of a problem, so I helpfully presented them with five different online reviews documenting the defect, all printed out for their educational enlightenment.  Considering that it was a large NY store with about 10 employees, I find it just amazing that they were really ignorant of the problem. To their credit however, they gave me no trouble returning the phone and did not hold me to the 2 year contract extension, which allows me the opportunity to re-purchase the phone if a fix becomes available. At least in that respect, ATT customer service was really great.

I have returned to using my ATT Tilt 2 with CoPilot Live, which I have used to navigate all the way from NYC to Canada without a single problem. By comparison it makes the Samsung Captivate's GPS performance look truly pathetic.

I have (or had) an AT&T Samsung Captivate. Sadly, I returned it today because of the same GPS isssue that you are having. It was one of the best smartphones I have used in a long while and I was really disappointed about returning it, but after reading every online forum discussing this problem ( and there are a lot!!) and trying all the fixes, my GPS was still useless. Using CoPilot live was just laughable. It would appear to lock on and it would give me an accurate location, but as soon as I started driving, things would get crazy. It would show me driving on an incorrect street. The streets would just slowly spin likely I was making a turn, even though I was going straight ahead. When I stopped it would show me still moving. And then when I finally did stop, it would sometimes continue to drift randomly like the car was still going. I couldn't navigate around the block like that.

The ATT salespeople all denied any knowledge of a problem, so I helpfully presented them with five different online reviews documenting the defect, all printed out for their educational enlightenment.  Considering that it was a large NY store with about 10 employees, I find it just amazing that they were really ignorant of the problem. To their credit however, they gave me no trouble returning the phone and did not hold me to the 2 year contract extension, which allows me the opportunity to re-purchase the phone if a fix becomes available. At least in that respect, ATT customer service was really great.

I have returned to using my ATT Tilt 2 with CoPilot Live, which I have used to navigate all the way from NYC to Canada without a single problem. By comparison it makes the Samsung Captivate's GPS performance look truly pathetic.

77 of 212 (4,016 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 6:51:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi everyone! I know everyone has the same prblem with captivate gps lock. here some fixed that i experienced and GPS locked in 15 seconds. fowllow these step carefully .

1/ From dailer enter *#1472365# or *#*#1472365#*#* that will take you to GPS setting

2/ Tap delete GPS data then tap on APPLICATION SETTINGS, under ACCURACY enter 110   (magic number) tap back key to get back to desktop(main ) Screen.

3/ Go to market place download GPS STATUS. After download and installed. here is important thing to before is work, have to do it to make it work.

4/ Open GPS Status you have downloaded stay outside until you see atleast 4 or 5 sattellite lock

(green bar) the more GREEN BAR you get the better Lock you have so be patient.

5/ Exit GPS STATUS, and open Google map boom you are locked in position as fast as 15 second.

NOTE: No need to restart the phone, but if you did restart the phone or everytime you turn on the phone you need reopen GPS STATUS angain to make it work or be patient for first navigation start..

Goodluck all who have had the problem..

Hi everyone! I know everyone has the same prblem with captivate gps lock. here some fixed that i experienced and GPS locked in 15 seconds. fowllow these step carefully .

1/ From dailer enter *#1472365# or *#*#1472365#*#* that will take you to GPS setting

2/ Tap delete GPS data then tap on APPLICATION SETTINGS, under ACCURACY enter 110   (magic number) tap back key to get back to desktop(main ) Screen.

3/ Go to market place download GPS STATUS. After download and installed. here is important thing to before is work, have to do it to make it work.

4/ Open GPS Status you have downloaded stay outside until you see atleast 4 or 5 sattellite lock

(green bar) the more GREEN BAR you get the better Lock you have so be patient.

5/ Exit GPS STATUS, and open Google map boom you are locked in position as fast as 15 second.

NOTE: No need to restart the phone, but if you did restart the phone or everytime you turn on the phone you need reopen GPS STATUS angain to make it work or be patient for first navigation start..

Goodluck all who have had the problem..

82 of 212 (3,260 Views)