The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Professor

• 

2.1K Messages

14 years ago

The GPS works fine, but there is an error in the configuration. If you follow the instructions in this thread, you shouldn't have any problems getting a lock.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

@Max69 wrote:

The GPS works fine, but there is an error in the configuration. If you follow the instructions in this thread, you shouldn't have any problems getting a lock.

Not really. Getting a lock is just half the problem. Keeping it locked to satellites with decent accuracy while routing is another half and that's one requires Samsung to fix. There is no solution for that.

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

I'm in the same boat as you but as I mainly use my Garmin, I'm doing ok for now. Samsung has promised a fix. I know that doesn't give and ETA but I'll take the promise because the rest of the phone is amazing....

http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=16853&news=Samsung+Captivate+Samsung+Vibrant+ATT+Mobile+GPS+Problem+Bug+Issues

Also, Samsung promised to roll our Android 2.2 in Sepetember which would be a wonderful update as well.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@exparrot wrote:

But ATT does have the ability to apply pressure to a supplier.  I didn't buy the phone from Samsung, I bought it from ATT.  If they advertise a feature on the phone, I expect that feature to work. If it doesn't then I expect them to act as my advocate and partner with the supplier.  

When I went to the store yesterday to inquire and they told me that unless the issue is with the ATT Telenav app,

that is an outrageous response. If the phone signal doesn't work, they don't blame Samsung or Android's PHONE app.

I like the phone, I'd like to keep the phone, but if I am unclear that anyone is taking ownership of the issue, than I will return the phone, which will be unprofitable to ATT and to Samsung. 

For you to dress down someone for asking for support in a support forum is ridiculous.

they did not get involved with the same issue that occurred on the Iphone, Apple is handling that one, go over to their forums and check the threads on the IPhone having issues with the GPS.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

How bad is the situation guys ?

I think I would mostly use the GPS to find out the nearest gas station / store / restaurant etc..... so a few extra seconds is okay as long as it does the job accurately.....

I really like this phone, but no GPS is a bummer. Do you think its so bad that I cannot use it at all ?

Do we have a success rate on the fix that everyone is talking about ?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

The so-called 'fix' only fixes initial lock. None can fix the tracking accuracy problem when you actually drive in a car and use it to navigate. I'd say it is not usable as a navigation device. It's probably ok if you just want to find yourself on the map while stationary.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the GPS app. Very cool. My lock takes less then 3 secs. On average 9 in view 8 in use. The lock speed on this app is much quicker than both google maps and att maps (att being faster than google) which leads me to think the issues are code related versus hardware.

Scholar

• 

197 Messages

14 years ago

All we need is for Consumer Reports to test this little bugger so that AT&T and Samsung give this issue the priority it deserves. My old reliable BJII gets locks on GPS  faster and gives me a more accurate location than my Captivate. If I walk on 11th Ave on the West side of Manhattan (NY) the Captivate places my location either in the middle of the Hudson river or on the East side shore of the river in New Jersey. This is on a clear sky day. My BJII, althought not super accurate, places me within a city block of my location.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

14 years ago

People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc. Yes....My phone gets almost instant Network(at&t) location information while nice it's not very accurate.... On the other hand....I never get a GPS lock and if I do it takes several mins.

If the gps symbol is flashing and not steady....it's searching and does not have a lock folks........ When the symbol and is not flashing and shows a steady symbol of a sat with bars it has a lock.

Google maps will show you a map based purely on network location information but if you start the navigation portion it will not work until you have a GPS lock. Try it for yourself.....

Starting google maps is not a clear indicator that you gps is working!!! Actually start navigation and tell me if it works....

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

14 years ago

People are confusing network location information with an actual GPS Loc is also another issue all together... Yes....My phone gets almost instant Network(at&t) location information while nice it's not very accurate.... On the other hand....I never get a GPS lock and if I do it takes several mins.

If the gps symbol is flashing and not steady....it's searching and does not have a lock folks........ When the symbol and is not flashing and shows a steady symbol of a sat with bars it has a lock.

Google maps will show you a map based purely on network location information but if you start the navigation portion it will not work until you have a GPS lock. Try it for yourself.....

Starting google maps is not a clear indicator that you gps is working!!!

Actually start navigation and tell me if it works....

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.