The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

14 years ago

The GPS on this unit is rubbish. Completely unusable and in typical fashion (depending on who you speak with) Samsung and ATT either pretend they don't know about the problem, blame it on the other company or say they do realize there is a problem and that they are working on a fix with absolutely no timeline. DO NOT BUY THIS PHONE UNTIL THEY SORT THIS OUT!

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

I guess I am not having the same issues as some of you. As long as my settings are set to use gps, then my phone tracks me realtime as I walk around the house and garden, can't say for driving as I have not tested that yet. I downloaded the power manager to my dash board from andoid apps group and that allows me to quickly toggle gps on and off as needed.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

14 years ago

Smiley Mad

Ok so has this been identified as an issue?

Are others having trouble with the GPS not locking on to a signal?

This phone is useless without it. No I will not buy the family finder plan, why? It does not show where I am or at least not even close, oh within 1500meters, if that is good for you. You want me to activate the navigation, HA.

If it has been identified when is a fix expected?

If it has not what do I need to do to move this forward?

This really needs to be fixed, if not I do expect to take my business else where.

This is not a threat.

I like ATT for some specific reasons, but other carriers would love to have my business.

Please get back to me.

You have my contact information, and I would like a answer.

I am a loyal customer and expect the same from you as a business partner. 

Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

My advise: Return the phone and move on.

Yes, Samsung admits there are issues with the GPS with all Galaxy S phones but there is no ETA of any fixes promised. They are working on it. Once they figured out what's wrong, you only need to wait a few more months for AT&T to verify the fix before you can get your hand on the fix.

Teacher

• 

35 Messages

14 years ago

well I must say the phone is not "Useless" without GPS, it is still a really great phone. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@roliver709 wrote:

Smiley Mad

Ok so has this been identified as an issue?

Are others having trouble with the GPS not locking on to a signal?

This phone is useless without it. No I will not buy the family finder plan, why? It does not show where I am or at least not even close, oh within 1500meters, if that is good for you. You want me to activate the navigation, HA.

If it has been identified when is a fix expected?

If it has not what do I need to do to move this forward?

This really needs to be fixed, if not I do expect to take my business else where.

This is not a threat.

I like ATT for some specific reasons, but other carriers would love to have my business.

Please get back to me.

You have my contact information, and I would like a answer.

I am a loyal customer and expect the same from you as a business partner. 

Smiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley MadSmiley Mad

Samsung has you contact information?

Why ask here on a fault in the hardware or OS of the phone, either open a service ticket with samsung or return the phone if you are within your first 30 days. ATT has no ability to fix hardware or software faults in the device

Mentor

• 

11 Messages

14 years ago

It is odd because mine appears to work fine also.  I get a coarse location <10 seconds and a fine location <15 seconds outside or in windshield of car.  I always seem to find 8+ sats and use 5-7.  Have tried it in the car moving 55 mph and it tracks me fine except it appears to lag behaind my actual location a little.  The accuracy according the GPS Test App is 16 ft for the fine location fix.  I have not tried it in the middle of a city with tall buildings.

It is obvious that many are having issues but it makes me wonder what differences there might be.  I have not used mine extensively, so perhaps I would also see an issue if I used it more, but some appear to have problems all the time.  If all these phones suffer from the same defect, it makes you wonder what the differences are that are causing the issues.

p.s.  I have not altered any of the GPS setttings except to check the settings for use of GPS and wireless networks.  I also have always used it in areas where I had 3g but not sure if that should make any difference since it appears from other posts that the GPS receiver is running in standalone mode.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

But ATT does have the ability to apply pressure to a supplier.  I didn't buy the phone from Samsung, I bought it from ATT.  If they advertise a feature on the phone, I expect that feature to work. If it doesn't then I expect them to act as my advocate and partner with the supplier.  

When I went to the store yesterday to inquire and they told me that unless the issue is with the ATT Telenav app,

that is an outrageous response. If the phone signal doesn't work, they don't blame Samsung or Android's PHONE app.

I like the phone, I'd like to keep the phone, but if I am unclear that anyone is taking ownership of the issue, than I will return the phone, which will be unprofitable to ATT and to Samsung. 

For you to dress down someone for asking for support in a support forum is ridiculous.

Mentor

• 

73 Messages

14 years ago

What ever happened to that AT&T android video that was floating around here that stated " The reason we are so slow to release phones that are on par with the Iphone is because we test them better than any other company..."   It does not appear that anyone at that testing facility is doing their job.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.