The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

14 years ago

That hack sure didn't work for me.  I tried it several times and even tried a different port # I had read about on another site.  There is just something wrong with it somewhere and hopefully it's just software...but who knows?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

14 years ago

I think the lock is very variable.  Sometimes it does lock within about 10 seconds and other times it doesn't.  Has anyone tried to look at their pictures with the geotagging that uses the GPS?  It's almost hysterical.  Even though the picture shows it was geotagged, when you look at where it tagged you, it turns out to be in the middle of the Indian ocean!  I kid you not.  You'll need software that's capable of reading the geotagging.  I use Sony's Picture Motion Browser.

So even though you think you have a GPS lock, the camera sure does't show that.  I got an accurate location on my pictures for about 1 in 10 pictures.  For my 3GS phone, I get a proper lock in about 19 out of 20 pictures.  Go figure.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

Yeah, this is very broken.  None of the hacks work for me at all.  In fact, the addition of "unsecure" seemed to make it worse.  It has me in the right town.  That's good.  I think it has me standing at the bottom of the cell tower north of here.

Explorer

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

14 years ago

Again I can valadite this update. Mine came the other day. On the phone it had an update for google gps. Since then my gps and google maps is working perfectly.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

this is not an att issue, it is definitely a samsung issue.  i have a samsung vibrant on t-mobile and popped over here to see if you guys were experiencing the same problems we were.  sure enough, you are.

more info on the gps issue for the samsung captivate cousin, the vibrant:  http://forums.t-mobile.com/t5/Samsung-Vibrant/GPS-issues-Please-let-Tmobile-know/td-p/423427

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I checked for the update to google maps and I'm running the latest version as of this date (version 4.4).  So far no change; GPS is still HORRIBLE.

I'm a bit annoyed...  I'm still within my 30 day period, but this needs to be fixed soon or I'll have to take it back..  After that it's iphone or move to another provider....

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

Good news: I wrote to Samsung and got a level three technical reponse after many attempts at a straight answer. they  confirmed  to me in an email that they acknowledge there is "an issue" with the gps for US customers and they are working on a priority basis to get an OTA fix out. But they did not give timing. This puts many of us in the "30 day" conundrum, whether to return this to att or not. I also have issues with exchange mail setttings beingg lsot every 3-5 days or so., an issue acknowledged on other sites Looks like they released this one too early. Question: why did none of the "reviewers" catch these issues?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

Any OTA update needs to go through AT&T (they are the ones do the OTA). I doubt you will see this within 30 days even if Samsung fixed all the bugs today.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

14 years ago

Don't know if this makes a difference to anyone else but, my gps was working fine until I enabled latitude. Now I cannot not delete latitude. Only turn off in app or running services. Turning off didn't seem to help. However, Turning off goole voice services (tts) does speed it up a lot though (through running services).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.