The Samsung Galaxy S24
know1's profile

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

Friday, July 23rd, 2010 1:46 PM

Captivate - GPS Issues

Anyone else experiencing basically no GPS lock?

I've seen it mentioned in plenty of other forums, but not here. I've tried all kinds of fixes and settings and the GPS on my unit is basically useless. I can get a very poor lock using just the wireless networks, but GPS never locks.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

14 years ago

Theres a few howtos out there.  Do a quick google search.  Anyway, this has been shamelessly pilfered from another site:

If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix.  In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break.  [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]

• Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
  • Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* .  Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
  • Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
  • Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
  • Step 5 -- Reboot your phone.
  • Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

If you want to reverse these changes, the original specs are:

Operation Mode: Standalone
SERVER: www.spirent-lcs.com
PORT: 7275

This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate.  Just take your time, and follow the directions closely.  And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks I've tried that and about a half dozen other fixes as well. None of them have any effect.

Also - I think you have the port number wrong there. I think it's 7276.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

14 years ago

Yup, I had the same experience.  I tried everything and nothing works.  I wound up returning the phone since I don't know when/if this will be fixed and it impacts too many apps that I use.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

14 years ago

Anyone know of an offical fix yet?

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

14 years ago

The disappointing thing was that when I called Samsung, they threw the issue over to AT&T, saying it wasn't them.  I asked them how that was possible when my IPhone 3GS on the same network, at the same location, locks on in seconds.  They had no answer.

It wasn't until I called AT&T that they conferenced in with Samsung leve 3 support.  There they acknowledged the problem on their end, but had no explanation if it was software or hardware or when a fix would be coming.  I'm thinking it's going to be awhile.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

14 years ago

I had the same problem. Samsung kept saying that they're weren't responsible for the issue and blamed at&t saying it was an issue with their network. I lost all faith in the Samsung rep when he kept referring to GPS as the company. LOL He kept saying I had to call whoever provided GPS. I finally just thanked him and hungup.

I started a chat with at&t and they said it sounded like a problem and offered to do a software reset and/or replace the phone. I decided knowing that either way I was going to end up with the problem again. Sigh......

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

14 years ago

@TonySturch wrote:

Theres a few howtos out there.  Do a quick google search.  Anyway, this has been shamelessly pilfered from another site:

If you just got your hands on a new Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant or Captivate, you may have noticed some GPS issues. Samsung reportedly has as well, and may address this in a coming OTA fix.  In the meantime, it's not hard to fix the problem yourself -- provided you go slow and follow the instructions, which are detailed after the break.  [Xda-Developers via Intomobile]

• Step 1 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Uncheck the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"
  • Step 2 -- Open the dialer (the phone button) and enter the following: *#*#1472365#*#* .  Then press "send" to open the Vibrant's LbsTestMode menu.
  • Step 3 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, press “Application Settings” and change “Operation Mode” to “MS Based.”
  • Step 4 -- In the LBSTestMode menu, find “SUPL/CP Settings” and change the SERVER & PORT to supl.google.com and port 7276 (DO NOT use www. in front of supl !)
  • Step 5 -- Reboot your phone.
  • Step 6 -- Open menu > settings > Location & Security.  Check the box next to "Use Wireless Networks"

If you want to reverse these changes, the original specs are:

Operation Mode: Standalone
SERVER: www.spirent-lcs.com
PORT: 7275

This should make locating and locking on to GPS satellites faster, and make locations services more accurate.  Just take your time, and follow the directions closely.  And no, this won't affect your warranty or need root.

If you make the changes above, make sure you also turn off the secure socket in SUPL settings. I found this made the difference for me.

Teacher

• 

21 Messages

14 years ago

I gave up and took the phone back. I ended up asking for another Captivate. I tried the GPS at the store and it didn't work any better.

Left the store and used the fix mentioned above in this thread - which I had tried along with many other fixes on the old phone - and the new one now has a good GPS lock in about 10 seconds. 

There are some things about this new unit which make me think it was of a different/new build than the old one.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

14 years ago

I would be interrelated interested to hear if anyone has a good gps. Is it just a few peoplethat are experiencing this or its it all phones? I am experiencing poor locks even after the above fix. mine seems to work better during the dayand worse at night and dawn and dusk.

So I am thinking about swapping it out but I don't know if I will get a better one ot not.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

14 years ago

Two days ago there was an update on my phone for google maps. I downloaded it and now my GPS works perfect.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.