Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jul 16, 2012
11:04:46 AM
View profile
Can we please have Google Wallet functionality?
Edited by kosti on Jul 16, 2012 at 11:05:46 AM

i have a Galaxy SII Skyrocket. I upgraded to ICS recently, but Google Wallet will still not work because there is no secure element on my phone. I dont quite know how all this works but it seems this is now a problem only my carrier can resolve. I would really like to add something to my SD card or get a new SIM card that has a secure element so i can use this app. if this is something ATT will not ever do, i suppose i can wait until my contract expires and switch to Sprint. Does anyone know what ATT has planned for this?

i have a Galaxy SII Skyrocket. I upgraded to ICS recently, but Google Wallet will still not work because there is no secure element on my phone. I dont quite know how all this works but it seems this is now a problem only my carrier can resolve. I would really like to add something to my SD card or get a new SIM card that has a secure element so i can use this app. if this is something ATT will not ever do, i suppose i can wait until my contract expires and switch to Sprint. Does anyone know what ATT has planned for this?

Can we please have Google Wallet functionality?

[ Edited ]
52 replies
(2) Me too
(2) Me too
View all replies
(52)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 1:02:26 PM
(0)
Professor

Same with the Galaxy S3!

It says its not yet available for my device..

Same with the Galaxy S3!

It says its not yet available for my device..

Re: Can we please have Google Wallet functionality?

2 of 53 (40,419 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2012 1:57:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Add my voice to the chorus!  Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note requests here!

Add my voice to the chorus!  Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note requests here!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 53 (40,410 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 3:20:42 AM
(0)
Mentor

Anytime money is transacted, someone gets a cut.  The carriers want that person to be them, not Google.  So they're working on their own NFC payment system (ISIS I think).  So they won't ever enable Google Wallet.

Anytime money is transacted, someone gets a cut.  The carriers want that person to be them, not Google.  So they're working on their own NFC payment system (ISIS I think).  So they won't ever enable Google Wallet.

Greedy carriers won't give you Google wallet

4 of 53 (40,384 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 4:57:33 AM
(0)
Professor
The last I saw, only one credit card issuer supported Google Wallet. Most are waiting on a different system.
The last I saw, only one credit card issuer supported Google Wallet. Most are waiting on a different system.

5 of 53 (40,382 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 5:00:34 AM
(0)
Teacher

no, several credit card companies support it. I know  mastercard for sure and pretty confident in visa. the credit card companies would still get their cut. for them it's no different than using the paypass thing with a credit card. its the carriers who are blocking this. sprint is the only one willing to let people do it (which is why i'm thinking of switching to them)

no, several credit card companies support it. I know  mastercard for sure and pretty confident in visa. the credit card companies would still get their cut. for them it's no different than using the paypass thing with a credit card. its the carriers who are blocking this. sprint is the only one willing to let people do it (which is why i'm thinking of switching to them)

6 of 53 (40,378 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 7:32:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by 21stNow on Jul 17, 2012 at 7:35:39 AM

I don't think that it's entirely the carriers that are blocking the Google Wallet service.  Google has to enable it for the device, as well. 

AT&T allows the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus phones on their network to use Google Wallet.

Citi Mastercard is the only credit card that is supported now for Google Wallet.  Users can also use the Google prepaid card and some gift cards.

I don't think that it's entirely the carriers that are blocking the Google Wallet service.  Google has to enable it for the device, as well. 

AT&T allows the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus phones on their network to use Google Wallet.

Citi Mastercard is the only credit card that is supported now for Google Wallet.  Users can also use the Google prepaid card and some gift cards.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
7 of 53 (40,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 8:50:48 AM
(0)
Professor

21stNow wrote:

I do believe the carriers have something to do with it though. the only reason the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S allowed Google Wallet on AT&T is because those phones were unlocked, and not AT&T branded. I think AT&T has (or is creating) its own NFC payment method that it wants its customers to start using, but either way we should have the option to use Google Wallet!

21stNow wrote:

I do believe the carriers have something to do with it though. the only reason the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S allowed Google Wallet on AT&T is because those phones were unlocked, and not AT&T branded. I think AT&T has (or is creating) its own NFC payment method that it wants its customers to start using, but either way we should have the option to use Google Wallet!

8 of 53 (40,354 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 9:02:10 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's why I said entirely the carriers.  I think that it's a mix of the carriers and Google.  Case in point - I have an international HTC One X that I can't use Google Wallet on, just like my AT&T Galaxy S III.  But, I can use Google Wallet on my Nexus devices, both on T-Mobile and AT&T.

That's why I said entirely the carriers.  I think that it's a mix of the carriers and Google.  Case in point - I have an international HTC One X that I can't use Google Wallet on, just like my AT&T Galaxy S III.  But, I can use Google Wallet on my Nexus devices, both on T-Mobile and AT&T.

9 of 53 (40,352 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 9:15:00 AM
(0)
Professor

Ahh yes touche agreed lol

Ahh yes touche agreed lol

10 of 53 (40,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 10:10:50 AM
(0)
Mentor

Hey amazon.com has android applications available on their site as well.  You may wanna try to see if the app you are looking for is carried by amazon.  I've had problems with google play with purchasing credits for an android application I play but since I downloaded it from amazon I've had no problems at all purchasing credits.  Just a thought.

Hey amazon.com has android applications available on their site as well.  You may wanna try to see if the app you are looking for is carried by amazon.  I've had problems with google play with purchasing credits for an android application I play but since I downloaded it from amazon I've had no problems at all purchasing credits.  Just a thought.

11 of 53 (40,346 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 11:30:21 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Krillz wrote:

Which post are you responding to?  I'm a little confused by your comment.

Krillz wrote:

Which post are you responding to?  I'm a little confused by your comment.

12 of 53 (40,342 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 1:37:54 PM
(0)
Mentor

I can actually get to Google Wallet in the Google Play store from my computer (it didn't come up in search results within the store, but when I Google'ed it, the search result link took me directly to it) and install it.  But when I run it on the phone, it says it's not available for my device/network.

So I don't think getting it from the Amazon store would change that.

I can actually get to Google Wallet in the Google Play store from my computer (it didn't come up in search results within the store, but when I Google'ed it, the search result link took me directly to it) and install it.  But when I run it on the phone, it says it's not available for my device/network.

So I don't think getting it from the Amazon store would change that.

Google Wallet via Amazon vs. Google Play

13 of 53 (40,330 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2012 8:31:03 PM
(0)
Scholar
Edited by Phil-101 on Jul 17, 2012 at 8:33:35 PM

AT&T is not allowing us to use phones THAT WE OWN to do things they were designed to do.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

AT&T is not allowing us to use phones THAT WE OWN to do things they were designed to do.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Re: Greedy carriers won't give you Google wallet

[ Edited ]
14 of 53 (40,309 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 3:23:53 PM
(0)
Contributor

I found this on the Google Wallet webpage (http://www.google.com/wallet/get.html#phone-list)

Looks like the Skyrocket is not on the list but I know that it contains an NFC chip.

AT&T - please allow Skyrocket owners to use Google Wallet. You made us wait 8 months for ICS and now this.. not fair.

I found this on the Google Wallet webpage (http://www.google.com/wallet/get.html#phone-list)

Looks like the Skyrocket is not on the list but I know that it contains an NFC chip.

AT&T - please allow Skyrocket owners to use Google Wallet. You made us wait 8 months for ICS and now this.. not fair.

15 of 53 (40,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2012 4:22:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Funny, this shows the Samsung Galaxy S III, but doesn't include which carriers are supported.  Google Wallet still shows as unsupported on my GSIII.  I heard that it was only supported on Sprint versions.

Funny, this shows the Samsung Galaxy S III, but doesn't include which carriers are supported.  Google Wallet still shows as unsupported on my GSIII.  I heard that it was only supported on Sprint versions.

16 of 53 (40,063 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 7:26:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by russell1997 on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:27:43 AM

So how can "any" version of the S3 be listed on their site yet it still say the device is not supported after i install Wallet?

So how can "any" version of the S3 be listed on their site yet it still say the device is not supported after i install Wallet?

[ Edited ]
17 of 53 (40,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 7:33:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Aug 2, 2012 at 7:34:20 AM

russell1997 wrote:

Because there is no explicit statement there that all GS3 phones are compatible with Google Wallet.

AT&T is coming out with their own form of NFC payment, so its no surprise that they block Google Wallet for their devices.

There are big potential earnings for NFC and other "alternative" payment types.  AT&T wants their piece of the pie.  Even if it means inconveniencing customers into not being able to use unified and existing payment methods.

russell1997 wrote:

Because there is no explicit statement there that all GS3 phones are compatible with Google Wallet.

AT&T is coming out with their own form of NFC payment, so its no surprise that they block Google Wallet for their devices.

There are big potential earnings for NFC and other "alternative" payment types.  AT&T wants their piece of the pie.  Even if it means inconveniencing customers into not being able to use unified and existing payment methods.

[ Edited ]
18 of 53 (40,019 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 9:05:34 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

While there is no explicit statement that it is all GSIII devices, the fact that compatible carriers are listed for the other devices would lead me to believe that Google Wallet is compatible with all GSIII devices, since there is no carrier list next to it. 

The Galaxy Nexus is a prime example.  It is available for use on the four postpaid carriers.  If I'm a VZW customer, I can look at the list and see that my device would not be supported.  Since the GSIII is listed with no carriers next to it, should I assume that no carriers support it?  Why would it be listed at all then, assuming that this is from a US site?

While there is no explicit statement that it is all GSIII devices, the fact that compatible carriers are listed for the other devices would lead me to believe that Google Wallet is compatible with all GSIII devices, since there is no carrier list next to it. 

The Galaxy Nexus is a prime example.  It is available for use on the four postpaid carriers.  If I'm a VZW customer, I can look at the list and see that my device would not be supported.  Since the GSIII is listed with no carriers next to it, should I assume that no carriers support it?  Why would it be listed at all then, assuming that this is from a US site?

19 of 53 (40,003 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 10:12:54 AM
(0)
Tutor

Signing this one too.  Please listen to your customers AT&T!!

Signing this one too.  Please listen to your customers AT&T!!

20 of 53 (39,993 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 2, 2012 12:01:04 PM
(0)
Professor

It IS compatible with the S3...there was a recent hack on the Verizon S3 to allow Google Wallet to be used. Honestly if there was a hack for the AT&T version I would consider doing it. AT&T is only the service, but everything else on the phone is from GOOGLE which AT&T should not be blocking

It IS compatible with the S3...there was a recent hack on the Verizon S3 to allow Google Wallet to be used. Honestly if there was a hack for the AT&T version I would consider doing it. AT&T is only the service, but everything else on the phone is from GOOGLE which AT&T should not be blocking

21 of 53 (39,984 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2012 4:22:25 PM
(0)
Teacher
Yes there is a hack for the sgs3 to use Google wallet and yes it works perfectly....

Almost every android phone has nfc but cannot use Google wallet because it's lacking another feature... A secured element.. It's a chip that Google wallet NEEDS to work..

So only phones with both the secured element chip and nfc will work... Like the sgs3...

Not the skyrocket. Note, or sgs2,

Yes there is a hack for the sgs3 to use Google wallet and yes it works perfectly....

Almost every android phone has nfc but cannot use Google wallet because it's lacking another feature... A secured element.. It's a chip that Google wallet NEEDS to work..

So only phones with both the secured element chip and nfc will work... Like the sgs3...

22 of 53 (39,881 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 3, 2012 5:05:51 PM
(0)
Professor

realized wrote:

Thats only for the Verizon version, but Verizon recently allowed Google Wallet to be downloaded from the Play Store because of customer complaint...come on people we need a petition or something!

realized wrote:

Thats only for the Verizon version, but Verizon recently allowed Google Wallet to be downloaded from the Play Store because of customer complaint...come on people we need a petition or something!

23 of 53 (39,863 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 12, 2012 10:02:31 AM
(0)
Teacher
Bought SGS3 to use Google Wallet but looks like is not allowed by AT&T. So lame...
Bought SGS3 to use Google Wallet but looks like is not allowed by AT&T. So lame...

24 of 53 (39,633 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 1:06:56 PM
(0)
Teacher
That's because Google and after haven't activated it yet. On both ends. It will be available starting September with jellybean!
That's because Google and after haven't activated it yet. On both ends. It will be available starting September with jellybean!

25 of 53 (39,501 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 16, 2012 1:24:50 PM
(0)
Teacher
Bad idea sprint is a lot higher than after. For the price of one with them is the price of 2 with At&t.
Bad idea sprint is a lot higher than after. For the price of one with them is the price of 2 with At&t.

26 of 53 (39,495 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 24, 2012 5:05:08 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by ShaunMN on Sep 24, 2012 at 5:11:24 PM

Me too!  I'm livid about this!  What the heck!  The phone is NFC enabled.  Screw you AT&T.  {word filter evasions removed}

Me too!  I'm livid about this!  What the heck!  The phone is NFC enabled.  Screw you AT&T.  {word filter evasions removed}

[ Edited ]
27 of 53 (38,037 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 27, 2012 10:37:07 AM
(0)
Guru

This is one of the numerous reasons I'm probably not going to be getting the Note 2.

If it doesn't have a GW-compatible SE, I don't want it.

This is one of the numerous reasons I'm probably not going to be getting the Note 2.

If it doesn't have a GW-compatible SE, I don't want it.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

28 of 53 (37,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2012 2:52:13 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just for the reason of wanting to use google wallet, I am moving to Verizon now.  I have been with AT&T for over 10 years and never being very happy with their coverage anyway, and now with inability of using google wallet, it is finally the time for a separation.  And I am taking a family of 4 lines with me.  Hello Samsung Galaxy S3 and Verizon, here we come!

Just for the reason of wanting to use google wallet, I am moving to Verizon now.  I have been with AT&T for over 10 years and never being very happy with their coverage anyway, and now with inability of using google wallet, it is finally the time for a separation.  And I am taking a family of 4 lines with me.  Hello Samsung Galaxy S3 and Verizon, here we come!

29 of 53 (37,501 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2012 8:36:30 AM
(0)
Guru

mrnitelee wrote:

You want GW and you're switching to VERIZON????

You realize that Verizon has been consistently blocking GW on the Galaxy Nexus?  As in, Verizon is the ONLY carrier where you can have a Galaxy Nexus but you can't have Google Wallet?

If you want Google Wallet - get a Nexus from the Play Store and put your SIM into it.  Once your contract is up, switch to a provider that doesn't penalize you for bringing your own device.

mrnitelee wrote:

You want GW and you're switching to VERIZON????

You realize that Verizon has been consistently blocking GW on the Galaxy Nexus?  As in, Verizon is the ONLY carrier where you can have a Galaxy Nexus but you can't have Google Wallet?

If you want Google Wallet - get a Nexus from the Play Store and put your SIM into it.  Once your contract is up, switch to a provider that doesn't penalize you for bringing your own device.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

30 of 53 (37,411 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments