The Samsung Galaxy S24
kosti's profile

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

Monday, July 16th, 2012 6:04 PM

Can we please have Google Wallet functionality?

i have a Galaxy SII Skyrocket. I upgraded to ICS recently, but Google Wallet will still not work because there is no secure element on my phone. I dont quite know how all this works but it seems this is now a problem only my carrier can resolve. I would really like to add something to my SD card or get a new SIM card that has a secure element so i can use this app. if this is something ATT will not ever do, i suppose i can wait until my contract expires and switch to Sprint. Does anyone know what ATT has planned for this?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@Krillz wrote:

Hey amazon.com has android applications available on their site as well.  You may wanna try to see if the app you are looking for is carried by amazon.  I've had problems with google play with purchasing credits for an android application I play but since I downloaded it from amazon I've had no problems at all purchasing credits.  Just a thought.

Which post are you responding to?  I'm a little confused by your comment.

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

12 years ago

I can actually get to Google Wallet in the Google Play store from my computer (it didn't come up in search results within the store, but when I Google'ed it, the search result link took me directly to it) and install it.  But when I run it on the phone, it says it's not available for my device/network.

So I don't think getting it from the Amazon store would change that.

Scholar

• 

115 Messages

12 years ago

AT&T is not allowing us to use phones THAT WE OWN to do things they were designed to do.

[Per Guidelines: Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I found this on the Google Wallet webpage (http://www.google.com/wallet/get.html#phone-list)

Looks like the Skyrocket is not on the list but I know that it contains an NFC chip.

AT&T - please allow Skyrocket owners to use Google Wallet. You made us wait 8 months for ICS and now this.. not fair.

google_wallet.PNG

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Funny, this shows the Samsung Galaxy S III, but doesn't include which carriers are supported.  Google Wallet still shows as unsupported on my GSIII.  I heard that it was only supported on Sprint versions.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

So how can "any" version of the S3 be listed on their site yet it still say the device is not supported after i install Wallet?

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@russell1997 wrote:

So how can "any" version of the S3 be listed on their site yet it still say the device is not supported after i install Wallet?

Because there is no explicit statement there that all GS3 phones are compatible with Google Wallet.

AT&T is coming out with their own form of NFC payment, so its no surprise that they block Google Wallet for their devices.

There are big potential earnings for NFC and other "alternative" payment types.  AT&T wants their piece of the pie.  Even if it means inconveniencing customers into not being able to use unified and existing payment methods.

1 Attachment

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

While there is no explicit statement that it is all GSIII devices, the fact that compatible carriers are listed for the other devices would lead me to believe that Google Wallet is compatible with all GSIII devices, since there is no carrier list next to it. 

The Galaxy Nexus is a prime example.  It is available for use on the four postpaid carriers.  If I'm a VZW customer, I can look at the list and see that my device would not be supported.  Since the GSIII is listed with no carriers next to it, should I assume that no carriers support it?  Why would it be listed at all then, assuming that this is from a US site?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Signing this one too.  Please listen to your customers AT&T!!

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

It IS compatible with the S3...there was a recent hack on the Verizon S3 to allow Google Wallet to be used. Honestly if there was a hack for the AT&T version I would consider doing it. AT&T is only the service, but everything else on the phone is from GOOGLE which AT&T should not be blocking

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.