The Samsung Galaxy S24
idontwantthis's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Monday, January 28th, 2019 2:37 PM

Can't call customer service because out of country

I need to "unlock"/"jailbreak" my phone, but it requests that I text a number that I cannot because I am out of the country. And this website won't give me another way to ask for help aside from calling. I did not think I needed a new SIM because I have a mobile wifi. But now I do.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

5 years ago

if you meet the qualifications then click the link to request an unlock code

• Your device isn’t reported lost or stolen, or involved with fraud.
  • You must complete your contract or installment plan (including early termination fees). Or, pay off an installment plan early and then make another unlock request in 24 hours.
  • Your device isn’t active on another AT&T account.
  • If you upgraded early, wait 14 days to unlock your old device. Business customers wait 30 days.
  • Your service must be active for at least 60 days with no past due or unpaid balance.
  • AT&T PREPAID (formerly GoPhone®) devices must have at least 6 months of active service.
  • If you’re military, we’ll ask you to email your TCS or PCS (Temporary / permanent change of station) documents for eligibility. You won’t have to complete installment plans or contracts.
  • If you have a business-owned device, your company must authorize you to unlock it.
  •  Go here if your phone meets all the requirements https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/#/

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Jailbreaking has nothing to do with a legit carrier unlocking of a phone.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@Constructive I'm sure you have to go through these steps to make sure people are doing things right. But this is exactly what I did before, and exactly why I can't get my unlock code, because I cannot send or receive texts or phone calls so I cannot receive an IMEI number.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks @lizdance40, just didn't know the correct term. And did not want to be confused with being able to get past my lock screen to my home screen on my phone.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Gotcha.

so many terms for so many locks 

screen lock

user lock (iCloud or google)

PUK lock 

carrier lock

boot lock

carriers only control the PUK and carrier lock. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

5 years ago

@idontwantthis wrote:

@Constructive I'm sure you have to go through these steps to make sure people are doing things right. But this is exactly what I did before, and exactly why I can't get my unlock code, because I cannot send or receive texts or phone calls so I cannot receive an IMEI number.

You should not need to text to get your phone’s imei. That info should be somewhere on your phone in the phone settings.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

@idontwantthis 

The IMEI is in your phone settings under about phone or general, about phone.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40 @sandblaster Thank you both. Literally the website says "Dial *#06# on your device to find your IMEI."
No other explanation. soooo Thought that was it.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

5 years ago

Pretty sure that only works with At&t service in the USA, never tried it.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

@lizdance40Well I called people who contact tech support dunces, and here I am, a dunce. I didn't see the star before the hashtags *#06# will bring up the IMEI without calling anyone. #06# will try to call whatever number that is, and of course, not work. Though the instructions could just tell you to go into settings and find it there. But whatever. All figured out. Thanks again.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.