The Samsung Galaxy S24
ashleyamia's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, June 12th, 2014 11:38 PM

Can I use an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S5 with AT&T

Well I have a friend that wants to sell me her Galaxy s5 but its on Verizon. She unlocked it already because she was overseas in Korea but got another phone. Would I be able to put a SIM card in it and use it with  my AT&T plan?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi ashleyamia, 

You should be able to use the Verizon S5 with AT&T. You will not get LTE coverage with it as the LTE bands supported by Verizon are not the same as AT&T. 

I would pop your SIM in first to see if you get any coverage at all as sometimes Verizon and Sprint "lock" the GSM side (the radio that would allow you to connect to AT&T) from being used on US Carriers at the firmware level. 

If it does work you should visit an AT&T Company store or contact Customer Care to update your IMEI so you have the proper data plan for the S5. 

You may also need to program your own APN setting for the device. I have listed them below in case you need them 🙂 

Name - PTA

APN - pta

Proxy - Leave Blank

Port - Leave Blank

Username - Leave Blank

Password - Leave Blank

Server - Leave Blank

MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS Port - 80

MCC - 310

MNC - 410

Authentication Type - Leave Blank

APN type - default,mms,supl,hipri

Bearer - Leave Blank

If there is any settings that are not listed here leave them as default. You will need to hit the menu key and then save after inputing all the information. Otherwise you'll have to retype everything. You may need to restart the phone once you put the APN in.

Hope this helps! 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

@logo412 wrote:

Hi ashleyamia, 

You should be able to use the Verizon S5 with AT&T. You will not get LTE coverage with it as the LTE bands supported by Verizon are not the same as AT&T. 

I would pop your SIM in first to see if you get any coverage at all as sometimes Verizon and Sprint "lock" the GSM side (the radio that would allow you to connect to AT&T) from being used on US Carriers at the firmware level. 

If it does work you should visit an AT&T Company store or contact Customer Care to update your IMEI so you have the proper data plan for the S5. 

You may also need to program your own APN setting for the device. I have listed them below in case you need them 🙂 

Name - PTA

APN - pta

Proxy - Leave Blank

Port - Leave Blank

Username - Leave Blank

Password - Leave Blank

Server - Leave Blank

MMSC - http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

MMS Proxy - proxy.mobile.att.net

MMS Port - 80

MCC - 310

MNC - 410

Authentication Type - Leave Blank

APN type - default,mms,supl,hipri

Bearer - Leave Blank

If there is any settings that are not listed here leave them as default. You will need to hit the menu key and then save after inputing all the information. Otherwise you'll have to retype everything. You may need to restart the phone once you put the APN in.

Hope this helps! 

NO verizon phone is locked period.  It was part of the 700c block auction when verizon first started LTE.  Know you will get a pop up every so often telling you that a sim card in there is not verzions.  But the phone works fine.  I used a droid dna for a while till the one came out

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

logo412

Thank you for the help, but my research has me wondering about your lte bands. 

AT&T: GSM+LTE, 2G/3G: 850MHz & 1900MHz, 4G: 700MHz, 1700MHz/2100MHz

Verizon: CDMA+LTE, 2G/3G: 850MHz & 1900MHz, 4G: 700MHz, 1700MHz/2100MHz (planned)

what do you mean by not working lte?  frankly, my att s4 does not work lte either, so it would be nice see what you have for the att and verizon bands.  I get lte when I power on, then never lte again, this again is a att purchased s4 with att sim.

also, it seems to me that we would have 4g support moving from vzw to att with s5, but not 2g and 3g. 

please help me understand as I am in need to move an s5 to att.  I see some do it on youtube with no problem, but then I read posts like yours.

thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks

the MHz can match but the band may not as there are bands in the ranges of the MHz

if your not seeing lte in your area either you switched from and Iphone and your data plan was not changed.  Apple has different coding in att's systems

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Glimmerman76, Thank you for the help. I am a new subscriber to att and my first phone is a s4 purchased from att. I do not have lte coverage with it; lte shows up briefly after restart or power-on but soon disappears and not because of wireless. I spoke with tech support and they tried a few things but still no lte. I researched and see others with similar issue but some say it is a configuration problem with att to the phone. I assume for my phone it is something else, like geographic though just outside of boston. I have not researched your link, yet, but I admit frustration with how this cellular mess is presented given from your message the MHz has little or no relevance. lol. I see some have no problem moving to att from vzw with the s5; do you have an explanation for that? please tolerate my ignorance a bit longer: what will I have for sure with the s5 and att sim? will I have 4g? if no lte, okay, but I assume I have to have 4g for it to work. Is that correct? Thanks.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

Glimmerman76, I just went over att vs vzw vs tmobile. vzw is 700c (13) and 1700f (4); Reag 1to8 and 1to4, respectively. att is 700bc (17) and 1700abde (4) and 1900(2) Reag notes not helpful for some of bands. so I guess this supports your position, no overlap. therefore, there is no possibility, currently, to have lte with a vzw s5 on att network. so, there is no work around for this? obviously the s5 is capable, is this samsung controlled or carrier? with that said, tmobile does match vzw 1700f (4). so a better solution would be tmobile for one with the s5 hellbent on parting ways with vzw. do you concur? Thanks again for the help.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

http://www.cnet.com/news/will-a-verizon-moto-x-really-work-on-at-t-and-t-mobile/ "If you want a bit more flexibility, you could buy a 4G LTE smartphone from Verizon. You can buy the device at full price without a contract, and if it's a 4G LTE smartphone (not a 3G device) it will come without a software out-of-the box. If you go this route, you should still check the specifications of the device carefully to ensure that the Verizon smartphone you're purchasing supports Band 4 for LTE. This will indicate that it is compatible with AT&T and T-Mobile LTE network" correct me if wrong, the issue is about MHz and band, not the sub letter as I interpreted. in other words, if 1700 (4) then I should have lte coverage. is that correct? my interpretation, therefore, was wrong and it suggests looking at the phone specs for the band 4. so apparently, one vzw to the next may not have band 4. if that is true, then what the hello is going on for the carriers to push lte phones not supporting the MHz bands they offer? I am so confused, so please add whatever corrections or agreements you have. Thanks again.

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

10 years ago

i dont think it will work  as Verizon is CDMA and AT&T is GSM

two different networks

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

what do you mean by it will not work? check out youtube and other forums who, assuming honest, have taken their vzw s5 to att and tbmobile. the question is not if it works, but what one gets. again, this is for 4g lte phones. the cdma/gsm discussion is more 2g/3g unless I misunderstood something. beyond that it becomes hertz and bands and is not easily understood what will work from one phone to the next...at least for me. I also recommend you read the link I provide in previous post. thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

The us is a weird beast when it comes to cellular in the first place.  They only phone I know of that works on multi carriers is the Nexus 5.  It will work on tmobile sprint and att out of the box.  I know I have one I made best buy price match the playstore on.  There all the same model number in the us.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.