The Samsung Galaxy S24
ashleyamia's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, June 12th, 2014 11:38 PM

Can I use an unlocked Verizon Galaxy S5 with AT&T

Well I have a friend that wants to sell me her Galaxy s5 but its on Verizon. She unlocked it already because she was overseas in Korea but got another phone. Would I be able to put a SIM card in it and use it with  my AT&T plan?

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I ask you again to read the link I provided. the last thing that should come to mind is that the nexux5 is the only phone that can transfer. there are loads of examples on the web to the contrary either in forums or youtube. thanks, but I am done with this thread.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

you realize that only certian parts of att have band 4 lte right?  

I my area ATT use band 5 and 17 for LTE.  So in theory yes if a verizon phone has Band 4 it will work in markets that ATT has band 4.  I know att had went with band 5 and 17 more and more because of the overloaded band 4.  I know band 12 deployment is suppose to happen sometime in 2015.

I was just using the Nexus 5 as an example as it is true multi carrier.

'

Ponder this if you buy a Iphone full retail you should get one from verizon as it has all the ATT radio bands plus cdma bands.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

I know the Verizon s5 will work with att and CAN get Lte. What I can't understand is when im in a good area I show H+ but when in in a bad area my phones shows the 4GLTE. I KNOW THE VERIZON S5 CAN SHOW THE 4G LTE BUT WHY'S IT ONLY WHEN IM IN A BAD AREA WITH POOR RECEPTION? I HAVE THE SCREEN SHOT BUT CAN'T POST IT HERE.
I'VE TRIED ALL THE DIFFERENT APNS THAT I COULD FIND. the phone works great but just wish it would show the 4glte.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

Your S5 has some LTE bands in common, but not all. When you see H+ it is getting HSPA, faster than 3G, but not as fast as LTE.
This is as good as it will get unless you switch phones to a more compatible version.

Teacher

• 

28 Messages

9 years ago

would it have anything to do with swithing from iPhone to android. On att end? Someone said that the data codes are different on iphones. Could att do anything or is my Verizon s5 stuck on H+? It seems to work fine It just bothers me lol. Sounds dumb but true. I bought a adapter for the sim to use my iPhone sim in the s5

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

9 years ago

A Verizon s5 won't get LTE . its missing band 2,5,17. That's why u see hspa

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I had the same question as ashleyamia. I set the APN as logo12 said to do but it didn't work. Do you have any other suggestions?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I bought my son an "unlocked" Verizon Galazy S5 for Christmas and we have AT&T.  We could not get the data to work.  Your post got it going to for us and I have a very happy teenager!  Thank you!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I had just went through 3hrs on the phone with AT&T over two days to get my Verizon Galaxy S5 to work on the AT&T network.   Verizon 4G LTE phones are not locked; therefore, the S5 is unlocked by default.   Two categories of problems to fix:   data and voice.  

DATA SERVICE CONFIGURATION:

============================

- Set the APN (Access Point Names).   No ATT data will be available when an ATT SIM card is first inserted.  The APN will need to be set to ATT.   Start with:   Setting -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Access Point Names.   Then enter the following settings:

NAME:             ATT 4G (or anything you desired)

APN:                Phone

PROXY:           proxy.mobile.att.net

PORT:             80

USERNAME:   (not set)

PASSWORD:  (not set)

SERVER:        (not set)

MMSC:            http://mmsc.mobile.att.net

Multimedia port (not set)

MCC                310

MNC                410

APN TYPE      Default

APN Protocol  IPv4

APN Roaming IPv4

BEARER         Unspecified

You may have to reboot the phone for this setting to take effect.

- Set the Preferred Network Mode to LTE/GSM/UMTS or Global.   Even with the right APN, the phone will stay on low bandwidth network H or H+.   Supposedly selecting the LTE/GSM/UMTS mode will help to keep the VZ S5 on 4G LTE mode more often.   Start with Setting -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode.  Then select LTE/GSM/UMTS.   If that doesn't work, select GLOBAL instead.

You may have to reboot the phone for this setting to take effect.

- Note:  even with the above configuration, my VZ S5 still rotates to low bandwidth network H or H+ once in a while, and always when I use the voice service.

VOICE SERVICE:   

==============

Voice service will work when ATT SIM card is inserted.   You may have to set the following if the ATT network can't "hear" the voicemail password you entered.   Open the phone dialpad -> select setting (three vertical dots) -> select Call -> select DTMF tones -> select LONG.

Hope this will help to save you (and AT&T) from the 3hr ordeal just to get your phone to work on AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I've got an unlocked Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 phone which I recently switched onto the AT&T network.  The primary issue I've had is being unable to text MMS.  As you might have guessed, I've been on the AT&T 1-800 help line and taken my phone into the AT&T store.  Tried adding several different variations of AT&T APN settings.  Unfortunately, they have not been able to resolve my issue.

FINALLY, the APN settings you provided above seem to be working!!  Thank you!

Note:

It seems most of the APN settings I've been given had

Proxy: Not Set

Port: Not Set

Rather, these same values were provided like this:

Multimedia message proxy: proxy.mobile.att.net

Multimedia message port: 80

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.