The Samsung Galaxy S24
jeffp25's profile

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, October 13th, 2013 3:05 PM

Can I unlock phone without AT&T SIM card?

I have an AT&T Galaxy SII Skyrocket, with about 3 months left on the contract. According to the AT&T site, I've been eligible for an upgrade for about a month and I want to upgrade to a Note 3. My SII takes a full size SIM card and from what I've seen the Note 3 takes a mini SIM card, so I'll have to get a new SIM card when I upgrade. The problem is that I want to unlock my old SII when I get the Note 3, so that I can use it with a European SIM card when I travel and according to the AT&T site I can't unlock the SII until the end of the year when the contract runs out. 

So, if I go out and get a Note 3 today, swap my SIM card for a mini SIM card, and in three months contact AT&T to unlock the SII, will I be able to unlock the old phone when it can't connect to the AT&T network? 

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

Once you upgrade, the SII will no longer be under contract and you should be able to request the unlock.

The Note 3 however will not be eligible as it will under a new 2 year agreement. However a different route you can choose is AT&T Next if you don't want to be under a contract.

The way it works is you get a device at $0 down initially. No contract. However, you will charged the monthly service charges + monthly installment charge which is about $27 or $32. So it would be your plan + 27 or 32 dollars. The installment charges is basically you paying off the phone in 20 monthly payments, and you can pay it off early if you would like, it depends on you. 🙂

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

@jeffp25 wrote:

I have an AT&T Galaxy SII Skyrocket, with about 3 months left on the contract. According to the AT&T site, I've been eligible for an upgrade for about a month and I want to upgrade to a Note 3. My SII takes a full size SIM card and from what I've seen the Note 3 takes a mini SIM card, so I'll have to get a new SIM card when I upgrade. The problem is that I want to unlock my old SII when I get the Note 3, so that I can use it with a European SIM card when I travel and according to the AT&T site I can't unlock the SII until the end of the year when the contract runs out. 

So, if I go out and get a Note 3 today, swap my SIM card for a mini SIM card, and in three months contact AT&T to unlock the SII, will I be able to unlock the old phone when it can't connect to the AT&T network? 

Slight correction, your Galaxy S II uses a mini-SIM card and the Note 3 uses a micro-SIM card.  Phones haven't used full-sized SIM cards in so many years that most people don't know what they are.

On to your question.  You have to have a non-AT&T SIM card to perform a SIM unlock on the SII.  You can use the European SIM card if you have it already or you can find someone that you know that uses T-Mobile or one of its MVNOs and ask to use his/her SIM card to unlock your phone.  It would take two minutes or less, then you can give the SIM card back to that person.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

The Next plan sounds like a bad idea to me. I can get the phone on a regular two year contract for $300. In the store they quoted me $32 a month, with a minimum of 12 months, so that's $380 - but if I pay for less than 20 months ($640) I have to return the phone. If I'm willing to keep the phone for at least 20 months, I may as well save $340 and get the normal contract.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

I have a UK SIM card (microSIM) in my old iPhone 3GS, so I have that covered. My wife has a SIM card in her Verizon Galaxy S4 - I wonder if that can be used to trigger the unlock sequence?

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

@jeffp25 wrote:
I have a UK SIM card (microSIM) in my old iPhone 3GS, so I have that covered. My wife has a SIM card in her Verizon Galaxy S4 - I wonder if that can be used to trigger the unlock sequence?

The iPhone 3GS used a mini-SIM, so that should work if the S II used the same size SIM card.  The VZW SIM card might work, but I think that it is a micro-SIM card so you would need an adapter to put it into your S II.

Teacher

• 

6 Messages

10 years ago

They make reliable micro-to-mini SIM card adapters? I may have to get one of those.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, I use them all the time.  I get mine from Amazon, but if you don't want to wait T-Mobile stores sell them, as well.  The T-Mobile price is high compared to what you can get them for online, but it is not a prohibitive cost.  One thing to remember, don't store an empty adapter inside of your phone as an empty adapter can damage the SIM card slot.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.