Can AT&T STOP locking bootloaders???

Scholar

Can AT&T STOP locking bootloaders???

I am sure this is going to get deleted, but hopefully somebody can point me in the right direction on where to leave AT&T feedback about its ridiculous bootloader policy.

If we are paying full retail, then we should own the device and therefore be able to do whatever we please with the device.  If that means flashing custom software, SO BE IT!!

Message 1 of 11 (6,574 Views)
Teacher

Re: Can AT&T STOP locking bootloaders???

Agreed. My phone is my PC, the company that figures this out gets my business. My next phone will NOT have this problem.

Message 2 of 11 (6,531 Views)
Scholar

I vote with my wallet.  Never again will I buy any AT&T android device, unless they change this ridiculous policy.

I understand that people brick their phones because they don't know what they're doing.  AT&T should not honor those warranties.  Your warranty should be void if you flash custom recovery.  I don't see how they can loose this way?  But excuse me for wanting to take the AT&T garbage off my phone, and make it perform better.  

Message 3 of 11 (6,523 Views)
Professor

MJB0188 wrote:

I vote with my wallet.  Never again will I buy any AT&T android device, unless they change this ridiculous policy.

I understand that people brick their phones because they don't know what they're doing.  AT&T should not honor those warranties.  Your warranty should be void if you flash custom recovery.  I don't see how they can loose this way?  But excuse me for wanting to take the AT&T garbage off my phone, and make it perform better.  

AT&T already says in their warranty terms, that the warranty is void if the phone software is modified in any way.  

But I agree, if the consumer is willing to take the responsibility of modding the phone, AT&T should let us do whatever we please.  

One good example, is HTC which will allow an official bootloader unlock as long as you acknowledge that you understand that the warranty may be void.  Yet AT&T forces HTC to block the bootloader unlock on the One X, anyway.

Message 4 of 11 (6,341 Views)
Scholar

They is the way government is getting also.  Want to control what is yours.  Think they know what is better for you.  Not freedom anymore.

Message 5 of 11 (6,281 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

[ Edited ]

tailgunner9 wrote:

They is the way government is getting also.  Want to control what is yours.  Think they know what is better for you.  Not freedom anymore.

Big thumbs down.  This isn't a forum for political discussion, don't turn it into one.  And this has absolutely nothing to do with a commercial company locking bootloaders.

The post is pointless.  You are either just preaching to the converted, or aggitating folks that disagree. Either way, it serves no purpose.  Just trolling?

In this situation (AT&T locking bootloaders) its really very easy to just state your opinion with your wallet, and buy a device from a 3rd party, instead of the carrier, if you don't like what they are doing with their branded phones.

Message 6 of 11 (6,266 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do plan to vote with my wallet. I am going to EARLY terminate my 3 lines of service. I have seen more BRICKED phones coming from LOCKED boot loaders than with out. People want the choice to do what they want with their expensive devices, and AT&T being Verizons b***h step-child, wants to be like its older sibling. Corporate America (i.e. At&t, Verizon) does NOT care about consumers or customers.....They DO care about stockholders and profit margins.

Message 7 of 11 (6,160 Views)
Scholar

[ Edited ]

^ This.  More phones will be bricked and damaged by the locked bootloader, as its much more difficult to hack.  Having a custom rom on your android device DOES NOT affect network consistency.  It actually gives you a much better experience.  

And just imagine if AT&T bought out T-Mobile. 

On the side note, not all of us are able to choose other carriers.  No other carrier gets data or reliable service at my house, except AT&T.  

Message 8 of 11 (6,100 Views)
Scholar

But the government knows better than you.

Message 9 of 11 (6,034 Views)
Professor

wvmstr wrote:

But the government knows better than you.

Comments like this add absolutely no value to this discussion.  Locked bootloader is a result of a commercial corporation.  In fact, in countries with more government regulation, the telecom atmosphere is much more advantageous to consumers:  vastly better data speeds for lower montly fees, phones are not carrier locked, etc.

Some folks just like to complain without knowing any facts.

Message 10 of 11 (5,823 Views)
Tutor

Same here. Just bought a used Moto X (2nd) from eBay and wated to root it so I could read and type in my native language, but this ridiculos bootloader thing blocked me from doing so. Regret being AT&T customer.

Message 11 of 11 (126 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.