The Samsung Galaxy S24
limeybtrd's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Monday, September 23rd, 2013 11:30 PM

Calls going directly to Voice mail. Galaxy S4

Hi, 

I recently purchased a certified like new Samsung Galaxy S4 phone. I was recently informed that folks calling me got my voicemail only, meaning the phone wouldnt ring at all. 

I duly picked up my landline phone and called my own cell number that showed 3 bars of signal strength, albeit it went straight to voicemail. I tried 5 times and all the time it went directly to VM without even ringing once.I checked my carrier settings and all seemed to be fine. 

I got the phone to work again by calling my VM then once that was achieved I re-tested it by calling my cellphone via my landline and it did ring this time around. 

My wife's S4 which is also on ATT seems to be working just fine in our home.

I am wondering if the phone fell asleep perhaps? Is there a setting that ATT or myself can check? Thanks. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

11 years ago

This is a known problem for several years, and applies to more than just Samsung phones. I bet that when you fail to get calls, you're connected to a 4G LTE tower?

It apparently helps to turn off WiFi. You can also check your phone call settings to see if you have rejected call forwarding enabled (set Auto-Reject to OFF).

Numerous complaints have been made, including through the FCC and FTC. However, I suspect the problem is due to 4G LTE tower software, and AT&T claims they don't know how to fix the issue. If you press far enough through the support structure, you can eventually get an offer to release you from your contract.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

Your response perhaps makes sense. The S4 is my first phone that is on LTE also, hence why perhaps I never had this issue before.

My wife's S4 rings when I call it though at the same time / place when mine goes to VM, could it be using a different tower or region of the frequency perhaps ?

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

11 years ago

I would assume both phones use the same tower, so compare her settings against yours and see if there are any differences.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

11 years ago

I sold my Galaxy S4 now, using a dumb phone now LOL.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I was having problems with mine going to voice mail and no matter what I did, is still wouldn't ring, just went to voice mail.

What I figured out, at least in my case, was that I had apparently switched on he blocking mode. That in and of itself is not a problem. The problem is that I had not selected anyone to be on an "accept" list. No accepted callers, no calls. All goes to voice mail. 

So, got to settings and select MyDevice, go down to Blocking Mode to see if it is on. If yes, tap it to see if you have an accepted callers list. If you don't, select one and that's it.

Hope this helps you or if not it might help someone else.

Mary

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Wow - it was that easy all calls were being blocked i turned it on and bingo it works thanks

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.