The Samsung Galaxy S24
Rayosun's profile

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

Sunday, April 8th, 2012 2:48 PM

Calculating data usage

Heya guys,

I've been pondering on this question for a while now and that question is should I stick with my iPhone 4S or should I switch to my skyrocket?

Upon still finding the answer to this question, I've been using my Skyrocket under Wi-Fi just to get a feel on how data usage might appear if I was on LTE. So I used Data Manager to help with how muvh usage was used. I used the Web and viewed around 10-15 pages. According the data calculator on the LTE website, one website uses 180kb of data. This proved to be around average, until I viewed Samsungs website. When I selected full website view, it seemed to eat 2mbs doing so.

My question is if a page with pictures in the background is viewed like Samsung's site, does it consume more data over the mobile network? Or does Wifi load things at a different KB?

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.
~Sunshine :)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

12 years ago

@Evandela wrote:
Heya guys,

I've been pondering on this question for a while now and that question is should I stick with my iPhone 4S or should I switch to my skyrocket?

Upon still finding the answer to this question, I've been using my Skyrocket under Wi-Fi just to get a feel on how data usage might appear if I was on LTE. So I used Data Manager to help with how muvh usage was used. I used the Web and viewed around 10-15 pages. According the data calculator on the LTE website, one website uses 180kb of data. This proved to be around average, until I viewed Samsungs website. When I selected full website view, it seemed to eat 2mbs doing so.

My question is if a page with pictures in the background is viewed like Samsung's site, does it consume more data over the mobile network? Or does Wifi load things at a different KB?

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.

As far as your question about wifi vs LTE, it would depend on the speed of the wifi network you are connecting to. The faster the wifi network, the faster your transfer rate is going to be. LTE can get some pretty fast speeds though so you'd have to have a pretty good wifi network to get faster than that. You can download the speedtest.net app for the skyrocket to see a comparison of what your speeds will be on wifi or LTE.

There are also other settings you can use to reduce web page data usage in android. I have my adobe flash player settings configured to only load flash objects like embedded videos "on click" only. They will just show a green arrow icon that I click on to load it if I want to. You can also uncheck the "Load images" box in the browser settings. That will not only load pages faster, but will keep down your data usage.

To directly address your question, the pages should load the same amount of data whether you are on the mobile network viewing the full page, or on wifi viewing the full page. It would be only the speed of the page load that is affected by the connection used. Just keep in mind that the faster your mobile network connection, the faster you can use up your data limit (or hit the throttle cap if you're on unlimited).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

12 years ago

@Evandela wrote:

Interesting. Wouln't apps like that require the phone to be rooted?

Also, how do you change that messaging layout in the stock app. For some reason, I just cant seem to find those attractive.. I guess it's because I'm used to the bubbles from the iPhone, which look nice 🙂 Would love to change that layout to something more nice. 🙂

Unfortunately that is correct. I don't really mind the ads so much in certain apps (in angry birds it is hella annoying) so I don't bother with it. This is the first android device I've owned that I haven't had a need to root. I mainly root to remove the at&t bloatware that they do not allow you to normally uninstall. With the SGS2 at least they made most of the bloatware apps removable, but I'm still left with the AT&T Navigator (useless as can be) and Featured Apps (also useless).

You mentioned that you like the bubbles appearance of the iPhone's text messenger and want the android layout to be similar, but on my SGS2 it already uses a similar format. The bubbles are different colors and appear as chat bubbles. I couldn't find any setting to make it look any different either. If it's not really what you like, there are some awesome SMS apps in the market that can give you what you want.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

That's very informative thanks Spider! I did research on this as well and it does seem Flash is the culprit Indeed. I disabled plug in entirely for this reason now. If you don't mind, I have one more question for you, those ads in the free apps like in Angry Birds or Hanging with Friends for example, they use flash as well, anyway to disable it from there as well?

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

12 years ago

@Evandela wrote:
That's very informative thanks Spider! I did research on this as well and it does seem Flash is the culprit Indeed. I disabled plug in entirely for this reason now. If you don't mind, I have one more question for you, those ads in the free apps like in Angry Birds or Hanging with Friends for example, they use flash as well, anyway to disable it from there as well?

In order to disable the ads in the games and apps you would need to use an ad blocker app. They would be there if you had flash installed or not.

I have found sometimes that when you don't have an internet connection they won't even show up. Pretty much all the ad blockers do is redirect their connection locally so they don't see their servers and can't display the ads.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Interesting. Wouln't apps like that require the phone to be rooted?

Also, how do you change that messaging layout in the stock app. For some reason, I just cant seem to find those attractive.. I guess it's because I'm used to the bubbles from the iPhone, which look nice 🙂 Would love to change that layout to something more nice. 🙂

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

12 years ago

Hmm interesting 🙂 I wish I could remove those ads as they use lots of data according to my usage in the 3G Watchdog app over Wi-Fi but I guess nothing can be done to remove that unless the app is purchased.. 😕

Yeah I know but those bubbles look weird to me so I was hoping something in that app would allow me to change it but I guess no such feature exists. 😛 I'll mark this as solved since I have no further questions. Thanks Spider!

Posted from my iPhone 4S on AT&T, the nation's fastest 4G network.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.