For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
raider360's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Thursday, April 7th, 2011 12:01 AM

Buying and using HTC Inspire 4G overseas

Hey there!

I am planning on getting a new HTC Inspire 4G phone in Chicago (without a contract) and using it internationally.

The question is: should I have to call or ask anyone at the store to actually unlock my phone or it would be automatically unlocked so I don't have to do anything?

Professor

• 

3K Messages

13 years ago

So you will have 3G in Europe, but not in the US.  That doesn't seem to make any sense as a decision, unless you plan on spending more time in Europe than the US.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

13 years ago

@redpoint73 wrote:

That's right, whether you buy the phone at full retail or subsidized, its yours to do with what you want.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. that the carriers MUST give the unlock code as long as you are a customer.  The only exception is that ATT does not have to give you the unlock code for 10 months if the phone is "exclusive" (and I think iPhones are excluded also).  But you can get the code somewhere else, as I previously mentioned.

Great loophole there.  Since AT&T uses 3G bands that differ from basically the rest of the world, that means that nearly every 3G model is going to be "exclusive" to AT&T.

As to the Desire HD that the OP purchased - that is identical to the Inspire except for different band support.  (Again - great loophole AT&T!)

AT&T's laziness with respect to Android phones (Right now, they are the only carrier that doesn't have an Android device with keyboard and non-backlevel software.) has me seriously considering a return to Verizon...  It's amazing how they've completely switched positions with each other over the past 3-4 years, especially with Verizon's big Android push last year.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.