Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Apr 6, 2011
5:01:45 PM
Buying and using HTC Inspire 4G overseas

Hey there!

I am planning on getting a new HTC Inspire 4G phone in Chicago (without a contract) and using it internationally.

The question is: should I have to call or ask anyone at the store to actually unlock my phone or it would be automatically unlocked so I don't have to do anything?

Hey there!

I am planning on getting a new HTC Inspire 4G phone in Chicago (without a contract) and using it internationally.

The question is: should I have to call or ask anyone at the store to actually unlock my phone or it would be automatically unlocked so I don't have to do anything?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 7, 2011 7:03:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Are you talking about buying a local prepaid SIM once you get to the foreign country, and using it on your unlocked phone?  If so, the post by Ann154 above is correct, I believe.   ATT will not give out unlock codes for "exclusive" phones until 10 months after their release.  Otherwise, they will supply you with the unlock code as long as you are a post-paid account holder in "good standing" for at least 90 days.

Since ATT will likely not give you the SIM unlock code, your best bet is probably to use a paid unlock service.  You can find them on eBay and other places, but try to use one with a good feedback rating.  They usually charge $15-20 to give you the unlock code.

There are also ways of unlocking it yourself, if you are rooted or willing to root.  But keep in mind that rooting may void your warranty, and can possibly render your phone unusable if you do something wrong.

If you just want to use AT&T roaming service (which is expensive), just call ATT customer service and tell them you want to activate International Roaming (NOT international long distance, which is for calling foreign countries from the US), and they will set you up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Buying and using HTC Inspire 4G overseas

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 6:06:02 PM
(0)
Professor

To the best of my knowledge, all AT&T sold phones are locked to AT&T.

All but the iPhone can be unlocked. 

If the phone is an AT&T exclusive, you may need to wait until your contract terms are fulfilled to get it unlocked, for others AT&T may provide an unlock code immediately.

If you're going to pay full price, have you considered looking at other sources than AT&T or looking at the equivilent non-AT&T version of the device?

To the best of my knowledge, all AT&T sold phones are locked to AT&T.

All but the iPhone can be unlocked. 

If the phone is an AT&T exclusive, you may need to wait until your contract terms are fulfilled to get it unlocked, for others AT&T may provide an unlock code immediately.

If you're going to pay full price, have you considered looking at other sources than AT&T or looking at the equivilent non-AT&T version of the device?

Re: Buying and using HTC Inspire 4G overseas

2 of 13 (6,049 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 6, 2011 8:34:07 PM
(0)
Master
I believe the HTC Inspire is an exclusive device. You might be better off looking at buying the Nexus S off contract (available at Best Buy).
Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy
I believe the HTC Inspire is an exclusive device. You might be better off looking at buying the Nexus S off contract (available at Best Buy).
Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

3 of 13 (6,027 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Apr 7, 2011 7:03:24 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

Are you talking about buying a local prepaid SIM once you get to the foreign country, and using it on your unlocked phone?  If so, the post by Ann154 above is correct, I believe.   ATT will not give out unlock codes for "exclusive" phones until 10 months after their release.  Otherwise, they will supply you with the unlock code as long as you are a post-paid account holder in "good standing" for at least 90 days.

Since ATT will likely not give you the SIM unlock code, your best bet is probably to use a paid unlock service.  You can find them on eBay and other places, but try to use one with a good feedback rating.  They usually charge $15-20 to give you the unlock code.

There are also ways of unlocking it yourself, if you are rooted or willing to root.  But keep in mind that rooting may void your warranty, and can possibly render your phone unusable if you do something wrong.

If you just want to use AT&T roaming service (which is expensive), just call ATT customer service and tell them you want to activate International Roaming (NOT international long distance, which is for calling foreign countries from the US), and they will set you up.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 13 (5,993 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 9:00:15 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you guys for the replies. I just wanted to get the phone off the official source, BUT... I just called AT&T sales service and a guy told me that that is impossible to use a phone overseas even if I pay the full retail price. They can't provide me a code to unlock it because it's illegal.

Thank you guys for the replies. I just wanted to get the phone off the official source, BUT... I just called AT&T sales service and a guy told me that that is impossible to use a phone overseas even if I pay the full retail price. They can't provide me a code to unlock it because it's illegal.

5 of 13 (5,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 10:47:44 AM
(0)
Professor

raider360 wrote:

Ummmm, either there is a miscommunication there or he flat out lied to you.

There is nothing illegal about unlocking devices, it is perfectly legal.

That being said, there is nothing illegal about AT&T not providing an unlock code once specific conditions are met.

raider360 wrote:

Ummmm, either there is a miscommunication there or he flat out lied to you.

There is nothing illegal about unlocking devices, it is perfectly legal.

That being said, there is nothing illegal about AT&T not providing an unlock code once specific conditions are met.

6 of 13 (5,964 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 11:31:51 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by pamelaz on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:20:23 PM

That's right, whether you buy the phone at full retail or subsidized, its yours to do with what you want.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. that the carriers MUST give the unlock code as long as you are a customer.  The only exception is that ATT does not have to give you the unlock code for 10 months if the phone is "exclusive" (and I think iPhones are excluded also).  But you can get the code somewhere else, as I previously mentioned.

That's right, whether you buy the phone at full retail or subsidized, its yours to do with what you want.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. that the carriers MUST give the unlock code as long as you are a customer.  The only exception is that ATT does not have to give you the unlock code for 10 months if the phone is "exclusive" (and I think iPhones are excluded also).  But you can get the code somewhere else, as I previously mentioned.

[ Edited ]
7 of 13 (5,955 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 7, 2011 1:13:23 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by foxbat121 on Apr 7, 2011 at 1:40:55 PM

Aside from the unlock code issue posted above, if you want to use this phone primarily overseas, don't waste your money. Inspire 4G only has North America 3G/4G bands (850/1900). It, like many other recent HTC phones, totally lacks 3G bands found in most other counties (2100Mhz). So, you paid $$$ to buy a phone you can only use at 2G speed.

Aside from the unlock code issue posted above, if you want to use this phone primarily overseas, don't waste your money. Inspire 4G only has North America 3G/4G bands (850/1900). It, like many other recent HTC phones, totally lacks 3G bands found in most other counties (2100Mhz). So, you paid $$$ to buy a phone you can only use at 2G speed.

[ Edited ]
8 of 13 (5,939 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 8, 2011 6:02:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

That's true, I was disappointed to see the lack of the 2100 Mhz UMTS band on the Inspire, used for 3G in much of Europe, and used for voice and data in Japan and S. Korea.

But that said, depending on your preferences and needs, you can get by just fine with voice and EDGE, or I even go just fine with just voice, for limited foreign trips.  Especially when you consider the prevalence of WiFi in public areas.

There are just not great choices if you want an Android phone that works on ATT's 3G network, but also will work on 3G in other countries.  You will probabaly need to make some sacrifices, and  its most likely preferable to sacrifice 3G overseas than to give up 3G in your home country.

That's true, I was disappointed to see the lack of the 2100 Mhz UMTS band on the Inspire, used for 3G in much of Europe, and used for voice and data in Japan and S. Korea.

But that said, depending on your preferences and needs, you can get by just fine with voice and EDGE, or I even go just fine with just voice, for limited foreign trips.  Especially when you consider the prevalence of WiFi in public areas.

There are just not great choices if you want an Android phone that works on ATT's 3G network, but also will work on 3G in other countries.  You will probabaly need to make some sacrifices, and  its most likely preferable to sacrifice 3G overseas than to give up 3G in your home country.

9 of 13 (5,893 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2011 5:07:52 PM
(0)
Tutor

I know that, but where I am going 3G coverage sucks so I'm gonna use a regular 2G: basic surfing, emailing and IM-ing would be fine. But trust me, prices are so amazing compared to what we have here in States.

You can pay like 6 bucks a month for unlimited calls inside a network, 100 minutes to any other network, 100 texts, 100 mms and 100 megs of data. Smiley Tongue

I know that, but where I am going 3G coverage sucks so I'm gonna use a regular 2G: basic surfing, emailing and IM-ing would be fine. But trust me, prices are so amazing compared to what we have here in States.

You can pay like 6 bucks a month for unlimited calls inside a network, 100 minutes to any other network, 100 texts, 100 mms and 100 megs of data. Smiley Tongue

10 of 13 (5,806 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 15, 2011 5:07:59 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by raider360 on Apr 15, 2011 at 5:08:58 PM

10 month is a really long term for me. I've just decided to get a fully unlocked phone in Europe. It's a little bit expensive but worth the price (it's called as DesireHD)

10 month is a really long term for me. I've just decided to get a fully unlocked phone in Europe. It's a little bit expensive but worth the price (it's called as DesireHD)

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (5,312 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 7:48:30 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

So you will have 3G in Europe, but not in the US.  That doesn't seem to make any sense as a decision, unless you plan on spending more time in Europe than the US.

So you will have 3G in Europe, but not in the US.  That doesn't seem to make any sense as a decision, unless you plan on spending more time in Europe than the US.

12 of 13 (5,295 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 18, 2011 11:56:54 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by pamelaz on Apr 18, 2011 at 2:20:02 PM

redpoint73 wrote:

That's right, whether you buy the phone at full retail or subsidized, its yours to do with what you want.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. that the carriers MUST give the unlock code as long as you are a customer.  The only exception is that ATT does not have to give you the unlock code for 10 months if the phone is "exclusive" (and I think iPhones are excluded also).  But you can get the code somewhere else, as I previously mentioned.

Great loophole there.  Since AT&T uses 3G bands that differ from basically the rest of the world, that means that nearly every 3G model is going to be "exclusive" to AT&T.

As to the Desire HD that the OP purchased - that is identical to the Inspire except for different band support.  (Again - great loophole AT&T!)

AT&T's laziness with respect to Android phones (Right now, they are the only carrier that doesn't have an Android device with keyboard and non-backlevel software.) has me seriously considering a return to Verizon...  It's amazing how they've completely switched positions with each other over the past 3-4 years, especially with Verizon's big Android push last year.

redpoint73 wrote:

That's right, whether you buy the phone at full retail or subsidized, its yours to do with what you want.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. that the carriers MUST give the unlock code as long as you are a customer.  The only exception is that ATT does not have to give you the unlock code for 10 months if the phone is "exclusive" (and I think iPhones are excluded also).  But you can get the code somewhere else, as I previously mentioned.

Great loophole there.  Since AT&T uses 3G bands that differ from basically the rest of the world, that means that nearly every 3G model is going to be "exclusive" to AT&T.

As to the Desire HD that the OP purchased - that is identical to the Inspire except for different band support.  (Again - great loophole AT&T!)

AT&T's laziness with respect to Android phones (Right now, they are the only carrier that doesn't have an Android device with keyboard and non-backlevel software.) has me seriously considering a return to Verizon...  It's amazing how they've completely switched positions with each other over the past 3-4 years, especially with Verizon's big Android push last year.

-------------- CyanogenMod 9/10 device co-maintainer for: SGH-I777 (AT&T Galaxy S2) GT-N7000 (International Galaxy Note) GT-N8013 (Galaxy Note 10.1 Wifi)

[ Edited ]
13 of 13 (5,288 Views)