For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
das8nt's profile

Mentor

• 

106 Messages

Thursday, February 10th, 2011 10:29 PM

Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

According to THIS POST on ANDROID CENTRAL, the document from AT&T shows you will have to give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan if you choose to upgrade to one of their new "4G" phones. This truly is unbelievable... wait, no, it's believable of AT&T lately. What can they charge for and take away next??

Can AT&T do one more thing to turn people away from buying their new "the world's most powerful smartphone?"

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Your post made me LOL...I have an Atrix with unlimited data.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

So I went into the Corperate store in Worcester MA to see about getting an Atrix and the Webtop. They told me that if I get the Atrix, I can keep my unlimited plan. Aweseome! The Webtop.... That is a different story. You need a tethering plan to use the webtop that only works when you plug the phone into it. Right there is where you lose your "Unlimited" plan.  

Really, ATT? IF that's how you want to play it, I guess that we are all set. 

So Sprint just announced some great Android devices, and I will save about $40 a month, and get more services if I move over. 

At least ATT is making it easy. 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

13 years ago

@phanbot wrote:

This thread is so full of LOL, I picked up a Atrix 4G from off of ebay, pulled the sim from my iphone 4 and popped it into the Atrix, a coupple days later I got this email:

Dear {Deleted},

We hope you are enjoying your 4G Smartphone!

We value your business and want to ensure you're set up with the right data plan for your Smartphone. If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your 3G handset into your 4G Smartphone, your data service may not work properly. Please call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team can help you establish service with an AT&T 4G Data Plan.

Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call.

Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

Sincerely,

AT&T

So this is proof, upgrade to 4G and you can kiss your unlimited data plan goodbye. I'm so broken hearted, I don't want to give up my unlimted data, they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands!

There is no technical reason you need to upgrade your data plan.

Motorola says (https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/63304😞

"ATRIX - Data Requirements

Is there any specific plan I need with my phone? 

You can use any Smartphone data plan that's offered by your service provider for most applications on your device. You can use your dock(s) with WiFi without any additional contract fees. However if you'd like to use the Lapdock or HD Multimedia Dock over the 4G network you'll need to purchase a tethering plan which is an additional monthly fee."

AT&T is merely trying to force data plan upgrades for business reasons. There's nothing in their message that says your are REQUIRED to change data plans. The statement that your current plan "may not work properly" is classic marketing of FUD.

So a couple of questions for phanbot:

1. Does your current data plan work properly with the Atrix? If so, just stick with it.

2. If you simply ignore AT&T's message, what happens? The worst they can do is try to bill you for a new data plan, without your prior approval. Since you presumably have not agreed to such a new data plan, as long as you are not tethering your device, nothing the Atrix does should violate the terms of your existing unlimited data plan.

AT&T's message is especially laughable, since they don't actually offer any 4G data service.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

I have been a costumer with AT&T and Cingular before that for the past ~15 years. I purchased the Atrix with the intention of getting the LapDock after all of the bugs were worked out and the price came down a little. But when I went to purchase the LapDock I was informed that I would have to change my Data Plan, I currently have the unlimited data plan (with the Atrix 4G). I’m being told I have to change to a DataPro 4GB plan which is a Tethering Plan or something of the sort. If I understand it correctly the LAP dock is only a larger monitor and full-sized keyboard for the processor in the phone and serves no other function. I don’t understand why I have to change from my data plan for this. I do not need or want anyone or anything to use my connection and there’s no processor in the LapDock that requires a connection therefore I don’t see the need to change my plan to a  DataPro 4GB plan, other than an excuse to kill my unlimited data plan, which I have had since they started offering it. I am being told by AT&T that if I activate the WEBTOP Application which is automatic when you insert the phone into the Lapdock or HD Multimedia Dock over the 4G network my Unlimited Data Plan will automatically switch to the DataPro 4GB plan. I think it sucks that I’m being penalized for being a long time costumer, there are a lot of special offers for new costumers, but if you’re a long time costumer looking to upgrade all you can look forward to getting is the shaft!!!

Guru

• 

56 Messages

13 years ago

I had the same thing, but you really DON'T have a "Unlimited Data Plan" NOW.. Everyone is at at 4G Plan, even if you log-into your account, and it states Unlimited, IT is NOT... I was there, and everyone has been rolled over.. Just Go over the 4G and they will auto charge you $10 for every gig over..

You can call CS and they will tell you the same..

BAT

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

I was told yesterday, 9/23/11, by a service manager of some sort responsible for their Facebook discussions, that I can keep my unlimited data as long as I don't use cell service with the lap-dock--only wi-fi.  I'm currently testing that statement by running Pandora internet radio for at least 8 hours per day until they decide that using my dock is a lot less drain on their precious network than {word filter evasion} off very old customers with excellent payment records of +$200 per month.  Or they can change my contract which I will not authorize and I'll be free.

I never would have bought the dock if I had been told that the old PDA Connect plan that I had been using without any problems or nasty grams from AT&T on my Tilt2 and paying the extra $10 per month for tethering.  Now I pay $10 more for unlimited data than other grandfathered customers do because I had a "with tethering" plan but if I tether--I will be automatically placed on the "appropriate data plan" which has a 4GB limit instead of the "soft 5GB limit" data without tethering has.  

I asked the lady why AT&T just doesn't come out and say they are finally stopping support of the old plans but she really didn't have an answer.  She seemed to think a blanket "We don't do that anymore to all users" was a worse idea than {word filter evasion} us off one at a time and spending hours & hours of their manpower getting us so fired up [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate]. and post our own nastygrams every place we can think of to drive off future customers &/or warn existing customers about their bait & switch tactics.  Telling people that they can keep their old data plan with or without tethering and then sending nasty grams 5 months into the new contract when some imaginary amount is reached (hello, didn't you just tell me unlimited--oh, well you were tethering--yes I was.  I have a tethering plan.  So what's the problem?  Put on hold for hours--and yes I mean hours while she contacted everyone & their brother or just went to lunch and several smoke breaks.  Ah, I just spoke w/Kevin and he used to be with tech support for a long time so he has a good idea of what is going on and he says that AT&T isn't supporting the 3G tethering plans any more.  This is so close to the "you can't use a 4G phone on a 3G plan that so many people have all ready been told that I'm really {word filter evasion} at this point.  And who the heck is Kevin & why isn't what I'm asking you in a policy manual that you can send me.  We never send anything in writing like that to customers.  We have pages & pages of policies but we don't send them to customers.  Then how am I going to explain to my boss that I can't update my service reports from the road any more because "Kevin at AT&T" says I can't tether any more?  How do you think that's going to fly?  Classic bait & switch and when I tell them for the 15th time that I bought this directly from AT&T and was told by the AT&T person that my current data plan was fine to do what I wanted which was to continue on exactly like I had been using the Tilt 2 plus I get the cool new dock to play with.  My credit card left burn marks on my purse as I snatched it out to give them the numbers.  Now, 5 months later, they decide that I'm using it for purposes that my plan doesn't support but somehow changing me to a different plan doesn't violate my contract.  Your phone is the contract--not your data plan or minutes.  You can change your minutes & features at any time but you got a special deal on the phone so you have to keep service with AT&T for 2 years so they get their profit back for selling your devices to you at such a big discount.  I bought refurbished equipment that is only compatible with AT&T's network so just how much of a bargain is that?  And what if I decide to turn off the Atrix and start using my Tilt 2 again?  If you tether, we will know it and put you on the appropriate plan.  I all ready have a 3G data plan with tethering and the Tilt 2 is a 3G phone so I don't see the problem.  As I explained earlier, according to Kevin, we aren't supporting the old tethering plans.  I also asked how to contact the corporate people who are actually in charge of making these bone head decisions.  You can't.  You talk to us and we talk to them.  What?  Does the Dali Lama run AT&T?  Maybe it's Qadafi?  Maybe it's Elvis and I'd recognize his voice?  

I really don't understand what is so hard about telling people the truth, at the beginning, and just dealing with it then.  I've all ready filed a report with the BBB and if one single thing on my bill changes, the FCC and my state rep and senators will be contacted.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

13 years ago

I know that a solution is given here, but I just got a new Atrix this week, and other than paying for the phone, I did not have to increase my GRANDFATHERED UNLIMITED DATA PLAN.  Heck, I did not realize that I had it, since before I went in to the store to purchase the phone, I checked online for all plans on my account, and only the Family Plan showed up. So I expected to have $30 plus added to my bill.  Geeeeeee, that let me get the Otter box and the Bluetooth and and and.....

and I even wound up doing it under contract.    .....sigh......I've gone contractless for the last 10 years, but it was too big a

temptation to get the phone for a lot less than the retail price, and add in the car dock and the entertainment box as well. And have money left over, because the sweet little ATT store rep found a 25% off coupon to apply.   

I gave the store rep a good review too, because she was informed, polite, capable, and listened to what I wanted and answered what I asked.  And this was at lunch hour in a big mall and the store was filling up with people in a hurry. Never once did she get impatient with me as I tried to enter my passwords on the tiny little QWERTY keyboard.  My key entries are now much more accurate after a few days practice.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

This is not true at all!  

I just upgraded my phone yesterday and my husband and I are able to maintain our "grandfathered" status.  What needs to happen is that you need to continue to keep the 2 year contract each time you upgrade.  Also, the rep that assisted me in the AT*T store told us that the AT*T page is set up so that you pretty much lose  the grandfathered status so going into the store is normally a much better idea.  Keep in mind that the stores often have equally good deals as the website.

Just thought I would share.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.