For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
das8nt's profile

Mentor

• 

106 Messages

Thursday, February 10th, 2011 10:29 PM

Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

According to THIS POST on ANDROID CENTRAL, the document from AT&T shows you will have to give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan if you choose to upgrade to one of their new "4G" phones. This truly is unbelievable... wait, no, it's believable of AT&T lately. What can they charge for and take away next??

Can AT&T do one more thing to turn people away from buying their new "the world's most powerful smartphone?"

Mentor

• 

29 Messages

13 years ago

I kept my unlimited data.

That was the first question out of my mouth when I went by the shop to buy the phone. I was told quickly and unequivocally that I could keep it, and when the rep pulled up the screen to look at the features to add, indeed, unlimited showed up, and he selected it. I assume I do not have tethering as that issue did not come up, and I don't care about that. I do care about the umlimited data though.

From an iPhone to an Android just like that. I will have a learning curve, I am sure, but so far, so good.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Ditto! Although, I thi k I was given the wrong sim card. I bought mine at Radio Shack for $150.

Scholar

• 

262 Messages

13 years ago

I can confirm that I still have the unlimited data plan. Today I baught the Atrix. Long story short: at first I was told that I had to 'convert' my 3g unlimited to 4g 2GB in order to work. I asked then how much is my ETF, surprisingly i had nothing to pay, yey! I told the guy that I don't want to buy it nomore. He made me wait for a min, then he came back with good news. He said it was a misundersanding, I can get converted to 4G unlimited but, the only way I can keep unlimited is IF I DONT WANT THE THETHERING PLAN wich comes with the laptop dock or WITH THE MULTIMEDIA DOCK!!! Since I wasn't interested in any of those docks I got to keep my unlimited 3G (now 4G) plan. Otherwise the rep was pretty nice and helpful, but honestly my next move would've been right into the Verizon store for the Thunderbolt. So ATT won me for another 2 years. Now go back to playing with the Atrix.

Edit: And, yes, the phone was $199 after $100 instant rebate. Bottom of line: YOU CAN KEEP THE 3G/4G UNLIMITED DATA AND YOU'LL GET THE $100 INSTANT REBATE 🙂

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

13 years ago

How is it possible that so many people are getting such conflicting information? I preordered the Atrix on 2/14/11 when doing it on their web site it said (now this isn't verbatim) something along the lines of "to receive $100 discount you need to have eligible voice plan of $39.99 or more and a data plan of $15 or more. Now I've had att since 2004 and have had their $39.99 rollover plan with their $30 unlimited data plan since around 2006. Because the website was having issues processing my discount I called them and the rep saw my plans and because of the discount eligibility terms posted on their site they were forced not only to give me the $100 discount but also grandfather my unlimited data plan onto my atrix. Also I learned from speaking with their reps on the phone as well as a couple of them in store that your $30 unlimited data will automatically give you unlimited 4G and there is no data plan change needing to be made. So if in store or over the phone a rep tries to lie to you just to get you out of your well deserved unlimited data plan, don't fall for it please and if they continue to push saying you HAVE to change your plan ask to speak to someone else that is a little more educated in their position.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

are you postive you can switch your unlimited to the 4g data plan?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

hi I see your an AT&T employee I was wondering if you could email or give me a call I was wondering about the whole unlimited data plan and wanted to know if it is true about the whole swithcing my umlimited to the 4g unlimited?  email { Personal information removed }

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

You CAN keep your unlimited data plan. I did, and didn't have to argue to do so. If you get the Lapdock with the phone, then that's a different story. LAPDOCK=TETHERING PLAN. There's no unlimited data with tethering.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

Mr. Junior Warrior,

Thank you for the additional detail on this topic. I have a question for you. I have a Motorola Razr with MediaMax at $35 per month. Unlimited data and text. I can tether to my laptop and create my own wi-fi hotspot using Motorola Phone tools. I do NOT have an at&t tethering plan, I know how to configure the Phone Tools so I can connect. Will at&t let me keep my MediaMax plan if I get the new Atrix, pay the full $300 online (because I already called and they said I could not get the $200 price if I did this and in the store they only have the 'options' on the computer to pick from) will my MediaMax plan work with the Atrix? When I called at&t I was told my plan was not a 'smartphone' plan and when I asked how does the phone know, he couldn't answer the question. I love my Razr but also really like the Atrix and would like to get a new phone since my Razr is almost 4 years old and I am out of contract with at&t. Thank you.

Scholar

• 

262 Messages

13 years ago

Nope, you cannot transfer the MediaMax plan. I had it on my wife's line and unfortunately she couldn't use any smartphone on that line. So the $25 data plan is a must.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

This thread is so full of LOL, I picked up a Atrix 4G from off of ebay, pulled the sim from my iphone 4 and popped it into the Atrix, a coupple days later I got this email:

Dear {Deleted},

We hope you are enjoying your 4G Smartphone!

We value your business and want to ensure you're set up with the right data plan for your Smartphone. If you have recently swapped a SIM card from your 3G handset into your 4G Smartphone, your data service may not work properly. Please call us at 1-800-331-0500 (or 611 from your wireless phone) and our team can help you establish service with an AT&T 4G Data Plan.

Our team is ready to help you activate data service with the right plan. We look forward to your call.

Thank you for being an AT&T customer.

Sincerely,

AT&T

So this is proof, upgrade to 4G and you can kiss your unlimited data plan goodbye. I'm so broken hearted, I don't want to give up my unlimted data, they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.