The Samsung Galaxy S24
das8nt's profile

Mentor

• 

106 Messages

Thursday, February 10th, 2011 10:29 PM

Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

According to THIS POST on ANDROID CENTRAL, the document from AT&T shows you will have to give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan if you choose to upgrade to one of their new "4G" phones. This truly is unbelievable... wait, no, it's believable of AT&T lately. What can they charge for and take away next??

Can AT&T do one more thing to turn people away from buying their new "the world's most powerful smartphone?"

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

This was posted by an AT&T rep on the official AT&T Facebook site today when he asked about keeping his unlimited data plan and getting the $199 upgrade price:

AT&T Hello Jim, I'm sorry if there was some confusion. The discounted price of the Atrix is $299. The retail price is $499. If a customer upgrades to one of the qualifying plans, Data Pro, Data Plus Personal, or Data Pro 4GB Personal an additional $100 rebate is included. If you have further questions you can contact me at attjulie@att.com.

Apparently, by their claims on Facebook, if you opt to keep the unlimited plan you don't qualify for the $100 rebate and your upgrade price will be $299. It will be interesting to see if this is true or if the reps there are just your typical clueless AT&T reps.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

SIM swapping wont change your data or voice plans, and in fact even with the message stating that the Atrix wouldn't work with the Unlimited plan the website would've allowed me to still have chosen among the Unlimited options and continue.  The problem is that the message indicates that there would be additional charges.  So it would appear that they are claiming they would be able to identify what kind of phone you have (easily done by the IMEI) and single it out for alternate data charges.  So the real question is are they bluffing or do they intend to hammer people with no data plan data rates until they break.

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

13 years ago

I am the jim that posted that on Facebook. I received the same message from two different At&t reps, one was on the phone ant the other from Chris by email.  They could still be wrong, but it is obvious that At&t wants you to give up the unlimited plan for the $100.00 REBATE. I wish they would be honest and upfront about it though.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I agree, JiminSD, that up front an honest would be nice, but it wouldn't help sell powerful phones to power users.  We hog the network, the other 95% of users only take up something like 20% of the bandwidth.  So they are just trying to make us pay our fair share.  And... I'll admit it, I just don't want to 🙂   But I will say this, it is more honest and direct than Verizon capping power user's speeds, in fine print, and still trying to sell them high end stuff with "Speeds Up To" type bold print advertising.

Scholar

• 

262 Messages

13 years ago

Hope they don't do it though. It is not the $100 extra, It's the principle of it. I've been paying "my fair share" since day one I upgrade to Tilt 2 for $299 on a 2 year contract without the need of any data plan. I didn't use more than 50 MB a month for almost a year (and if you ever owned a Tilt 2, the webbrowsing experience is painfull, there's not even a decent Facebook app and I didn't use my phone as a radio either). Anyways, I still had to upgrade to the $30 unlimited data (where were the 200 MB and 2 GB plans when I needed them?). Of course, nobody forced me to get the Tilt 2 or even stay with AT$T but, I thought I'll keep this unlimited 'till I'll get a better phone. Now, I finally can experience some decent browsing and a better OS and once again AT&T comes and changes it's policies and the data plans the way fits them best. I don't know, I may not go over 2GB a month in the future but once again, it's just the principle of it. Don't care about the $100 extra but also don't care about the ETF either and at least I will get an LTE device. It's up to you, AT&T.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

I definately feel you on all points, escpecially the web browsing (I'm still rockin' the first Tilt...)  So yea, browser and facebook app will be a really nice change on the Atrix.  Athough, unlike you, I usually go through 4.5 gigs a month of podcasts alone with my current setup so I've truely been getting my money's worth all along.  But either way, my buddy has already ordered his so I'll probably just toss my SIM in his and get a clear clean answer to whether we can keep what we signed up for.  At 4G speeds I'd go through 2 gigs with a pocket dial  Smiley Wink

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

13 years ago

@JiminSD wrote:

I am the jim that posted that on Facebook. I received the same message from two different At&t reps, one was on the phone ant the other from Chris by email.  They could still be wrong, but it is obvious that At&t wants you to give up the unlimited plan for the $100.00 REBATE. I wish they would be honest and upfront about it though.

I'm inclined to believe that those reps don't know what they are talking about. That's not uncommon you know. The same rebate was offered with the HTC Inspire to get the upgrade price down to $99 and from what I am reading, not without glitches, those customers have been allowed to keep their unlimited data plans.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

I was at the XDA forums reading about the Atrix. Theres a similar thread to this one. Several people there have been able to keep their unlimited plan after buying the Inspire 4G. You WILL be able to keep your unlimited plan. You may have to argue a bit and school some ATT reps to do so. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=959732

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Who ever is making the decisions for AT&T data plan pricing and data plans for smart phones and in the case of Atrix the laptop dock should be fired if is it the CEO the Board of AT&T should fire him. The greed at AT&T is unbelievable, I have ordered the phone and am hoping AT&T wises up with the pricing of the laptop dock because a tethering plan for the laptop dock is like a AT&T charging me extra for speaking on the phone to make a voice activated call. {keep it courteous} guys at A&T and possibly Motorola are killing the reason for buying this phone maybe they love iPhone and Steve Jobs so much they do not want any competition despite the phone having all the problems which were blamed on the AT&T network.

Wake up {keep it courteous}guys - wise up and fix your plans and bundled offering prices. Also, grandfather in the data plans back including and specially those who switch from the dumb iPhoneX. Also, allow existing phone owners to be able to order the dock at the bundled price or lower. It isnt my fault I did not order the {word filter evasion} dock because AT&T is too {word filter evasion} greedy. Or maybe, I should just return the package unopened back when the FedEx guys show up to deliver my new phone.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Well I'm gonna lose money anyway I go..  the Media Max200 plan (was a Smart phone plan at one time) included my text messages so now that will be extra..   Here's what would make me happy on their data plan and text messaging plans,  do a  "middle of the Road"     and change the pricing   on data,  $10 for 200MB   $15 for 1Gig and then $25 for 2Gig...   On text  offer a $5 dollar plan for 500 messages in addition to the $10 for 1000...    I'd be all over that... Smiley Wink

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.