The Samsung Galaxy S24
das8nt's profile

Mentor

• 

106 Messages

Thursday, February 10th, 2011 10:29 PM

Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

According to THIS POST on ANDROID CENTRAL, the document from AT&T shows you will have to give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan if you choose to upgrade to one of their new "4G" phones. This truly is unbelievable... wait, no, it's believable of AT&T lately. What can they charge for and take away next??

Can AT&T do one more thing to turn people away from buying their new "the world's most powerful smartphone?"

Guru

• 

56 Messages

13 years ago

@davidusr wrote:
No. Your unlimited plan will be honored.

You are SO SO WRONG, I'm more them happy to provide my account information, when I called, after I received a notice my Unlimited plan was Limited, they gave me ONLY three options, 1. When it reaches 5gig IT would STOP, 2. I could create a new 5gig contract, 3. I could cancel, So I been with them since 2006 .. I chose to CANCEL...

I even talked to the Sup.. It was not much of a choice.....

Your UNLIMITED Plan WILL NOT be honored.!!!!!

BATSmiley Mad

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

It's been argued on these forums for years, but the "unlimited plan has always had a 5 gig "soft" cap. My contract from 2003, when "unlimited" was 39.95, hD a 5 gig soft cap. And I'm sure, that for 95% of the people out there, 5 gig IS unlimited.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

I just talked to 2 Reps Yesterday..  One in the store, and 1 on the phone..  I had the Media Max Plan that allows unlimited data with 200 text messages..   They both told me the Internet is different for these new phones and you cannot use your old unlimited plan..   However If I choose to stay with my current phone HTC 8525 I can keep the unlimited data, if I decide to buy a new phone, then  I will have to go with one of their new data plans..  We are screwed...   My big problem is I really don't consider myself a heavy user, I checked my usages last month and it was 2.5MB  so I would have been over..   What gets me is the price..   $15 for 200mb  and $25 for 2 gig??  That's crazy...  If 2gig costs $25 bucks, then 1 gig should cost $12.50 bucks.  Not $15 for 2mb.. That is insane!   500mb should cost $6 bucks and 2mb should only cost $2 bucks..  That would be fair....     At anyrate anyone that has a chance of going over the 200mb limit should get the 2 gig package.  The Penalty's are killers for going over, and you would end up paying more for the $15 plan..   Just my Humble opinion..

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Did any of you guys read the second post by das8nt? The AT&T reps are apparently clueless.

"We were just contacted by a representative from AT&T who saw our post about the leaked 4G policy memo, and wanted to clarify a very important point about their new 4G plans.  I quote:

Customers who currently have an unlimited plan can upgrade to a 4G device and keep their unlimited plans.

They did not dispute the validity of the leaked memo, but they were kind enough to tell us a part of the story that the original leak missed.  So put away those pitchforks.  Thanks for the clarification AT&T!"

Straight from the horses mouth.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

13 years ago

Yes I did, and it was after I read the post,  that they still told me no!    Also Maybe I missed something else here too, my unlimited plan also included text messaging..   If I'm reading correctly I'm guessing I will now also have to shell out another $10 a month just to use their minimum testing plan???

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

If you currently have the $30 smartphone unlimited data plan (which does not include messaging), you can switch to the $30 smartphone 4G data plan.  If not, you have the choice between $15 and $25 4G data plans.  If you moved to a non-4G smartphone (and really, I believe that 8525 of yours is supposed to have the same requirement), the existing non-4G smartphone data plans have the same pricing structure, $15 for 200 MB and $25 for 2GB.

MediaMax is not a smartphone data plan.  Unlimited smartphone data (with the exception of a plan that was strictly for the original iPhone and no other device) has never been less than $30 and has never included messaging.

If you don't have too many people sending you text messages, you could drop the messaging plan entirely and use a free service like Google Voice.  It doesn't do MMS, but there are better ways to send attachments.  The main drawback is the need to tell people to use a different number to send messages to you.  Otherwise, yes, currently the smallest messaging package is 1000 messages for $10.

Guru

• 

56 Messages

13 years ago

Wow, AT&T is making it soooo easy to decide.. It so nice to se a company make a service that is totally un-complex. I've seen some companies have so many plans you end up spending all day just trying to figure out what you need,,,Smiley Wink

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for the info!

The phone line my Atrix is going to be put on used to be for an iPhone, but I went from it to a low-end Nokia phone.  Hopefully I'll be able to get unlimited put back...

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

13 years ago

Nope, once you change off of and Unlimited there is no way for any reason they'll reverse the change.  As far as other non-Atrix phones go, yea you can keep an Unlimited plan or even move amoung the other Unlimited plans, but AT&T is trying to be slick and say that it is "NOT COMPATIBLE" with "features".  Obviously they aren't referring to the TCP/IP stack or all the other industry standards that phone/technology is compatable/compliant with.  So if you want to get an Atrix they wont honor what they say about keeping plans, you will have to be capped in with the 200 meg or 2 gig. 

Straight off their site when you go to upgrade (I have been with them for years and have Unlimited)

"Important Information:
The phone you've chosen is NOT COMPATIBLE with the following feature(s) currently on your account:

* Smartphone Personal

Note: To avoid excessive charges, please log into att.com/mywireless or call Customer Care at 800-331-0500 after you've activated your new device to remove your current incompatible feature(s) and to add new compatible feature(s) to your account. "

Mentor

• 

76 Messages

13 years ago

Pity about being stuck without unlimited... oh well...  I likely wouldn't go over the 2GB limit, but I've thought about tethering to my desktop computer and nixing my DSL altogether... ($20 vs $50/month and all...)

If I had a line with an unlimited data plan and moved the SIM card onto the Atrix, would they then remove its unlimited data access?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.