Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

Scholar

Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

[ Edited ]

According to THIS POST on ANDROID CENTRAL, the document from AT&T shows you will have to give up your grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan if you choose to upgrade to one of their new "4G" phones. This truly is unbelievable... wait, no, it's believable of AT&T lately. What can they charge for and take away next??

Can AT&T do one more thing to turn people away from buying their new "the world's most powerful smartphone?"

Message 1 of 49 (16,701 Views)
Scholar
Solution
Accepted by topic author das8nt
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Buy an Atrix "4G" Lose Your Unlimited Data Plan

And now a reply from AT&T clarifying:

http://admin.androidcentral.com/att-clarifies-their-4g-policy

Sorry for the panic.

Message 2 of 49 (16,315 Views)
BAT
Scholar

It does not matter, even if you thought you still have unlimited, your wrong, ALL unlimited plans have been changed to 5 gig..

http://forums.att.com/t5/LaptopConnect-Tethering-for/Laptop-Data-Connect-Unlimited-Plan/m-p/2665671#...

BATSmiley Mad

Message 3 of 49 (16,225 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

5GB is still good with me. I constantly bust the 2GB level, but haven't yet used over 5GB. I even have Wifi around me 75% of my day. So, I'm good with "Unlimited" being capped at 5; take that away and I start to have a problem. I pay good $ to have NBA League Pass Mobile each year and I want to be able to watch the games anywhere I'm at, Wifi or not.

Message 4 of 49 (16,187 Views)
Mentor

This link shows the info about the Atrix data plans. Per current AT&T policy, if you currently have an unlimited Smartphone data plan, you can keep it when switching to a new Smartphone.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 49 (16,125 Views)
Contributor

Check with AT&T, if you signed up for unlimited data plan before it was capped, then you still have truely unlimited data. I have checked with AT&T, and I'm still covered under the truely unlimited plan.

Message 6 of 49 (15,635 Views)
Mentor

I am trying to pre-order the phone now.  But when I get to check out, the price of the phone goes from $199 to $299. 

Message 7 of 49 (15,631 Views)
BAT
Scholar

$199 AFTER $100 rebate Smiley Surprised

BAT

Message 8 of 49 (15,593 Views)
Tutor

I have the same problem - I am switching from iPhone to Atrix but I have family plan and iPhone related data plans etc. I am hoping talking to someone at AT&T Sales will probably help. Issue is there is no way to change the phone/device and plan if you have a group/family plan and/or iPhone data plans. AT&T should really fix this to make it convienent for its customers. iPhone is a poor phone and those who want to switch should be able to do so without much hassle. I paid dearly for the iPhone at $400 and now I cannot switch even though I have had that stupid phone for over 2 years.

Message 9 of 49 (15,550 Views)
Teacher

so let me get this straight, right now i'm on Iphon/unlimited data plan and i'm planning to switch to the Atrix. When I do I will loose my unlimited data plan? ATT is forcing me to get the new 4g plan?

Thanks ATT, thanks alot.

Message 10 of 49 (14,926 Views)
Guru

No. Your unlimited plan will be honored.
Message 11 of 49 (8,147 Views)
BAT
Scholar

davidusr wrote:
No. Your unlimited plan will be honored.

You are SO SO WRONG, I'm more them happy to provide my account information, when I called, after I received a notice my Unlimited plan was Limited, they gave me ONLY three options, 1. When it reaches 5gig IT would STOP, 2. I could create a new 5gig contract, 3. I could cancel, So I been with them since 2006 .. I chose to CANCEL...

I even talked to the Sup.. It was not much of a choice.....

Your UNLIMITED Plan WILL NOT be honored.!!!!!

BATSmiley Mad

Message 12 of 49 (8,125 Views)
Guru

It's been argued on these forums for years, but the "unlimited plan has always had a 5 gig "soft" cap. My contract from 2003, when "unlimited" was 39.95, hD a 5 gig soft cap. And I'm sure, that for 95% of the people out there, 5 gig IS unlimited.
Message 13 of 49 (8,103 Views)
Contributor

I just talked to 2 Reps Yesterday..  One in the store, and 1 on the phone..  I had the Media Max Plan that allows unlimited data with 200 text messages..   They both told me the Internet is different for these new phones and you cannot use your old unlimited plan..   However If I choose to stay with my current phone HTC 8525 I can keep the unlimited data, if I decide to buy a new phone, then  I will have to go with one of their new data plans..  We are screwed...   My big problem is I really don't consider myself a heavy user, I checked my usages last month and it was 2.5MB  so I would have been over..   What gets me is the price..   $15 for 200mb  and $25 for 2 gig??  That's crazy...  If 2gig costs $25 bucks, then 1 gig should cost $12.50 bucks.  Not $15 for 2mb.. That is insane!   500mb should cost $6 bucks and 2mb should only cost $2 bucks..  That would be fair....     At anyrate anyone that has a chance of going over the 200mb limit should get the 2 gig package.  The Penalty's are killers for going over, and you would end up paying more for the $15 plan..   Just my Humble opinion..

Message 14 of 49 (8,046 Views)
Guru

Did any of you guys read the second post by das8nt? The AT&T reps are apparently clueless.

"We were just contacted by a representative from AT&T who saw our post about the leaked 4G policy memo, and wanted to clarify a very important point about their new 4G plans.  I quote:

Customers who currently have an unlimited plan can upgrade to a 4G device and keep their unlimited plans.

They did not dispute the validity of the leaked memo, but they were kind enough to tell us a part of the story that the original leak missed.  So put away those pitchforks.  Thanks for the clarification AT&T!"

Straight from the horses mouth.

Message 15 of 49 (8,020 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.