The Samsung Galaxy S24
francisbelanger's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 6th, 2012 11:32 PM

Atrix HD drops WiFi

The ATRIX 4G HD is my first cell phone.  Today, I finally got a WiFi connection via my 3800HGV-B, but my Atrix keeps turning off the WiFi.  Some times it will turn it back on and tell me WiFi is available.  I select my WiFi but no matter how many times I enter the key, it connects, then the WiFi turns off after about 15 seconds.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

Have you tried simply power cycling the WiFi router (usually done by just unplugging it for a minute or so, then plugging back in)?

You might also try to change the security type on the WiFi network.

More times than not, WiFi issues are caused by the router, not the device.   Might not be the case in your particular instance.  But its always good to fiddle with the easy aond obvious stuff, first.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Yeah its a good idea to refreshing the network by powering off an on your router. I also restart my phone and it fixes the problem too.

BTW...the router you have is not a powerful router and is known for having wireless drop issues. I would suggest getting a Wireless-N router, which would provide you with a faster more stable connection

This is the one I am using and it works pretty well and is awesome! I would suggest that one

http://www.amazon.com/Medialink-Wireless-Router-802-11n-Internal/dp/B0044YU60M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347032516&sr=8-2&keywords=wireless+n+router

Teacher

• 

30 Messages

12 years ago

I doubt the router is the problem.

The Atrix HD has a problem with keeping WiFi alive under certain circumstances.  See the Motorola help forum at https://forums.motorola.com/posts/09627d982f for other users experiencing this.

My Atrix HD used to have problems connecting to lots of routers, industrial strength ones at large tech companies and home ones...and then I disabled AT&T Smart WiFi completely (since you can't uninstall it) and my problems cleared up.

Other users recommend turning off AT&T Wi-Fi hot spot auto connect (Wi-Fi, Advanced setting).  I have not changed that setting but it can't hurt to try.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I have had problems since the update with WIFI disconnecting . Many times not even being able to sign on. I have now disabled  all AT&T apps . This has solved the problem.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for saying to disable the Att wifi app. I got the phone a few days ago from BestBuy(For FREE) and was just about to take it back because I couldn't get it to say on a wifi for more then 5-10 minutes before disconnecting and turning off. Now for the last 12 hours it hasn't dropped wifi or turned off (Since I disabled it). Now the only issue is that I just moved and have a hard time to get ONE bar of signal and since there is an open wifi near my apartment I don't want to pay $35 a month for internet for that MicroCell.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

dude tell every one with a "atrix hd"  to turn of att wifi thingy it realy fixed everything...i just got the update for jellybean and i couldnt download it w/o wifi so i searched tons of pages and found the solution...first your gunna wanna go to your app menu(the circle w/ dots in it) then its probably the first page and it says "att smart wifi" click on it and its hardly noticable buy there is a switch at the bottem right part of the screen and it says "on" click on it and a thingy pops up sayin blah blah blah(ignore it) and press "ok" then your good to go.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks for the post!  I chatted with AT&T asking about the problem, thinking that they would have documented a solution....but NO...they had me connect to www.purple.com, using my mobile data plan....then ask if the screen was purple.  It was, told me the problem fixed and to turn WiFi on...I did, and it was not fixed (to my surprise???).  They then said it was my internet (AT&T) or a Motorola problem, and not an AT&T problem.  They obviously need to read the forums and work on their own apps!  Phone working fine since app disabled!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I just went to the apps menu to disable my Att wifi, but it says install required. Which leads me to believe the phone is not even using that app, but I am also having a problem keeping my wifi on. Do I install the app and them cancel it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Ok so I have been having the same issue for a while now and tonight I think I finally fixed it. I turned off all the wifi connect and hot spot crap. That didnt work  but  if you go into  Setttings -  wifi  -   settings - manage networks.  Clear out all remembered  wifi networks in that list and then manually add your main one back in.  Since I did that tonight I havent had a drop in about 6 hrs now.  Before I did that though it was dropping everytime I opened my mail   webpage or app.  It was getting to where it was dropping every 3 minutes. Let me know if this works for you guys.  My theory is your main wifi signal you are connected to  loses some strength and it drops tries to connect to those others in that list  sees they are all out of range and reconnects.  Just a theory. PS.  This also helps with how much the OS is using of your battery and will prolong the charge. My consumption dropped by 10% of the OS usage once I cleared that list.

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Thanks for the post, I disabled the AT&T Smart Wifi and restarted the phone and it conneted right up. again thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.