The Samsung Galaxy S24
MyChoice...NOT's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Monday, July 17th, 2017 2:46 AM

At&t app permissions for android phone

Here are 2 questions if you are willing to give an honest answer and not at&t's stock, vague, unanswering answer
Maybe answered before maybe not.
1. Why does the At&t apps on my s7 edge need the permissions they say they need. Why does any app need full network access or to modify/delete contents of my sd card. Seems if i want them to have those permissions i would be the one to say ok. Im sure its worded in at&t's favor somewhere but if thats the case, why can't i revoke those permissions and any other i choose to revoke?
2. Some apps will let me revoke change system settings and ability to draw over permissions only to somehow magically get turned back on. After 1 or 2 toggles of the switch though it goes like this. Toggle will turn off but bsck one page up snd permission is still granted...hmmm. Another try at the toggle and it wont even move. All the while leaving the permission granted. Bear in mind thst the apps in question are at&t proprietary apps and not samsung's or google's.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

7 years ago

Wanted it out there for customers to see as I can and will bet you any
amount of money that im not the only long standing customer that gets
treated with less respect that dryer lint. What's your wager on that?
Point to you was that there are problems listed and if you can't see them
then you are no better than the art employees who try to make like i'm
talking about something completely different than the reason for the call
to begin with. As stated I record everything so I'm willing to pay it all
on the line. Would/will AT&T for the world to see?

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Your original question was answered very nicely by @dmapr    Its very apparent to anyone who reads your posts, that is not the problem.   But you never stated the real problem, or why you asked the original question.   

Ask vague questions, get stock answers.

There you go.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@MyChoice...NOT Even thinking that you could get someone on chat who could answer that Android permissions question was pretty ridiculous, IMHO.

Many of them don't even know the details of the offers they have (and that's more their job description).

I'd recommend that you connect with one of the Android forums. You're much more likely to find an Android expert who has an AT&T phone (than a AT&T sales/support rep that is an Android permissions expert).

I'd suggest you be very specific with your question when you ask it:

• Pick one (1) app (by name) and be specific.
  • Don't make it about AT&T support, make it be about the question that you actually want to know the answer to.
  • Include a few screenshots so it's perfectly clear.
  • Keep them focused on one question until you get an answer. If you bounce around the whole range of your multiple questions you'll get multiple people answering different parts an confusing each other.
  • When you find a few who can answer that question, 

then follow up with other apps if there are still questions about those or the SD question.
  • Be prepared, it might not be a satisfying answer, it might just turn out to be something simple like poor programming or that it's just the easier way to do it OR it might be a really good answer. Odds are you're stuck with it either way if you keep buying AT&T phones.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L

Based on the first post, I'm guessing the OP has not agreed to the requested permissions and is either having phone problems or has asked for the ATT apps to be removed from his phone.  Just a wild guess based on the same sort of posts in the past.  However, it's anyone's guess because he never actually stated a complaint.   

"I refuse to give permission to access my contacts so a feature malfunctions ".   "My phone is paid off, remove your software".   Or the ever popular, "I want to remove this software to make room for my own data".  The last one leads to the device partition explaination, which I guarantee most CSRs have no clue.    I find it hard to believe ATT terminated service over any of these.  Which makes me think an unpaid bill, or portion of a bill or a serious violation of TOS.  Since he's not forth coming, I have to assume he does not want to admit why.  

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Do any of these permissions have anything to do with why I'm not receiving all of my texts on my android s5? It is a bring your own phone with at and t and straight talk.  I was on tech support for 4 hours straight and nobody can figure out why I' not getting texts from everyone on my contact or everyone trying to text me. Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

6.6K Messages

6 years ago

Permissions only affect your ability to receive texts in the sense that if you disable SMS permissions for every app on the phone you won't receive them. You can check your messaging apps and see if they have the SMS read/write permissions. 

The first thing I would check in your case is try your SIM in an AT&T branded phone. If you still don't receive text then the phone is not an issue.

Finally, are those SMS or MMS? MMS may require additional configuration for a BYOD to work. A text sent to a group of people would be an MMS despite not having any media in it.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

@pflynn2008 wrote:

Do any of these permissions have anything to do with why I'm not receiving all of my texts on my android s5? It is a bring your own phone with at and t and straight talk.  I was on tech support for 4 hours straight and nobody can figure out why I' not getting texts from everyone on my contact or everyone trying to text me. Thanks.

I was thinking along the same lines a @dmapr.   Non ATT Samsung GS5 SMS and MMS have a history of not working.  I suggest replacing the stock messaging with a non carrier version like Textra, which is a favorite, or Android messages, which may be a more robust rich text option in the very near future.  

If still having problems @dmapr posted information about app permissions earlier, which may help you.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.