The Samsung Galaxy S24
hgwynn's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Tuesday, December 28th, 2010 4:24 AM

Apps on Captivate

Hello again! I'm very new to the smartphone--Android, and I'm having questions as to what, if any, apps are using up my data. I only have the 200mb data plan right now and I've used 64mb in 6 days (not sure how good or bad that is LOL!). Anyhoo, how do I make sure the apps are closed after I've used them so that if they are using my data, I can close them and keep my data! Thanks!!!

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

13 years ago

64mb in six days is a little high unless you just got the phone, expect your data usage to be high at first because it's new and you are playing.

In order to view what is running "applications - settings - applications - running services" this will tell you what is currently running and you can close items from here. Also there are programs in the market like ATK (auto task killer) that you can use too. I don't think these tell you which are using data but will help you close running programs.

You can also download programs from the market that will track and display the amount of data you are using and display the number in a widget or ondemand however you prefer. But again I am not sure if any of these programs tell you exactly what is using your data.

Finally try to use wifi as much as possible, this should help you keep your data usage down.

I too have the 200mb plan and my first couple of months I was real close like 175 to 190mb but that number has leveled off at around 110mb per month and I don't think I am holding back any usage. It realy depends on what you are doing daily as to the amount of data you are going to use.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks so much mwjack!!!
Yes I just got my phone and activated it this past Thursday so I've been playing around with it for about 6 days now! I really appreciate your help! Smiley Happy

Contributor

• 

1 Message

13 years ago

There are also a few apps in the market you can try that will help you.  At quick glance, it looks like PhoneUsage will monitor your data, texts, and phone usage to alert you when you're getting close to your limit, though it doesn't look like it will show you which specific programs are using all your data.

Another one I see is called NetCounter and looks like it just monitors your data usage.  I just did a quick search for Data Usage, there might be others that do exactly what you want.

As a new android user myself, I've learned quickly that if I have an issue with my phone, I'm usually not the only one with that issue and someone, somewhere has made an app to fix it 🙂

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

@hgwynn wrote:

Hello again! I'm very new to the smartphone--Android, and I'm having questions as to what, if any, apps are using up my data. I only have the 200mb data plan right now and I've used 64mb in 6 days (not sure how good or bad that is LOL!). Anyhoo, how do I make sure the apps are closed after I've used them so that if they are using my data, I can close them and keep my data! Thanks!!!

Also, if you go over 200 MB this month, you can change to the 2GB plan for this month and backdate it to the beginning of your billing cycle, so that you don't get charged with overages (up to 2GB).  After the newness wears off, you can go back to the 200 MB plan.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your feedback a lot!!!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.