Smurfette27's profile

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

Saturday, October 1st, 2011 12:13 AM

Closed

Apple Iphone follower converts to Android

Hello,

I'm considering moving from my iPhone 3gs to an android device.  I'd like to have flash and increased ability to customize my phone.  How stable is the android os?  I've been researching, Samsung has the best screen. HTC receives software updates the quickest.  How can I mesh the best of both worlds?  The Samsung galaxy 2 looks great. I really want the infuse but the galaxy has faster processor. I wanted the 4.5inch screen size.  Has anyone looked at the HTC Holiday that may be released to ATT in the future?

Anyone move from an iphone to android?  I would miss the apps and the docking stations. Any advice is appreciated

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

Hey there Smurfette27,

Well, would you look at that? Another die-hard Apple user converting to, in my opinion, the best OS out there - Android! If you do end up switching, there are lots of advantages Android has over iOS, some of which you have already named. There is Flash support, (hooray!) endless customization, many business and otherwise fun apps in the Android Market, (much like the App Store) live/animated wallpapers, and much more! There is also a free music app I use on my Android phone. I also have an Apple iPod Touch (4G) and I now use my phone as a music player instead. After all, who really wants to pay for music when you can download it free, anyway? 😉

I would say Android is a very stable system. There have been many people switching to an Android phone within the past couple years and I'm sure they enjoy them. As a matter of fact, Android sales have even outsold the iPhone itself - but keep in mind, Android is spread across many carriers with many different phones, and only AT&T and Verizon have the iPhone exclusively. At Verizon, their HTC Thunderbolt 4G Android phone has even outsold the Apple iPhone 4 when Verizon first got it. Now that's impressive!

Like my Samsung Captivate, Samsung phone definitely do have the best displays. It's all thanks to their technology called AMOLED. HTC phones have the second-best quality for screen pixelization, and their menus and layouts have a very clean and modern design to them, much like Motorola Droid phones. I have personally thought about switching to an HTC phone when my current Samsung no longer works anymore. I've been a Samsung user for almost two years, now, and HTCs have really managed to captivate my interest - much like my Samsung Captivate first did. 😄

The phone to get would be the Galaxy S II. It releases tomorrow (finally!). It looks like it will be a very nice smartphone and is expected to dominate the cellular market. When my next time to upgrade comes around, this would be the phone that I would get, unless HTC releases something newer that I will like. I have not heard much about the Holiday, but I saw some pictures on Engadget once and the phone looks very nice.

I have never owned an iPhone, but I would say that having an Apple iPod Touch is close enough. At times, I had considered switching from my Android phone TO an iPhone, because I liked the interface of the iPod Touch so much. For one, I love the keyboard. It's simpler to use than on my Android phone. But I discovered that I would miss Android so much if I did - the customization options, the Android-specific apps, Flash integration, and most of all, the free music.

Android has continued to impress me since I've had my phone since Valentine's Day. I don't expect to be getting rid of my phone, or ditching Android for that matter anytime soon.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

Smurfette, I think that the experience in switching from an iPhone to an Android phone will vary by user.  There are some who loved Android and wonder what took them so long to switch, and others who hate Android and plan to hop back to an iPhone.

I don't really qualify as one who switched, because I'm nutty enough to carry two (or more!) phones.  Currently, I'm using the iPhone 4 and the HTC Sensation (on T-Mobile).  It's a long story on how I got here, but I'll share why I've stayed in this place.  The iPhone 4's battery life is head and shoulders above any of the Android phones that I have had.  The iPhone also has superior voice recognition when using voicedial with Bluetooth.  These items make me use my iPhone for my phone calls.

In every other area, I give the kudos to Android.  Each Android phone may give a slightly different experience, due to the manufacturer's skins.  I have used Touchwiz, no skin (vanilla), and currently use Sense (my preference). 

I use my Android phone for syncing two email accounts, Twitter, texting, all Web browsing, and apps that help me manage my life.  The fact that I have a choice in virtual keyboards is what makes me gravitate toward the Android phones, as well.  I can't function without the Swype keyboard!  I also prefer the tight integration with Google that Android phones offer.  I despise iTunes for some reason and don't like the fact that iPhones are managed through iTunes.  Depending on what you do with your phone, iTunes may be easier.  With Android, you may have to sync using multiple programs.  However, my syncing needs are not so great that this bothers me.

Notifications are better in Android.  iOS 5 may bring some improvement to iPhones, but I don't think that it will be as good as with Android.

I noticed that you mentioned Flash being important to you.  Some Flash video still won't play, such as videos from ESPN.com.  If you tell me a site, I can check to see if the video plays for you.

Customization options are endless.  This is even if you don't root your phone.  If you root your Android phone, you can probably do new customizations every day for 2 years and never do the same thing twice.  I usually set up my phone the way that I want it, then leave it alone.  The numerous customization options are overwhelming to me.

The Android development community is extensive.  There are people writing and tweaking the phone software constantly.  Some users root and flash because they constantly want better performance. I only root and flash if I perceive that there is a problem with the phone.  There are so many things that you can change here.  I had a problem where due to color temperature readings, the blues looked brown.  I searched on the web to find a fix.  I found one but never applied it, because I moved on to a different phone Smiley Surprised  My point is that if you don't like even the smallest thing, you can usually find a way to change it.

To be honest, I have to say that iOS is more stable than the Android OS.  However, I have not had problems with the Android OS.  It's stable enough for me.  This experience does seem to vary from phone to phone, though.

Enough rambling.  I have to say that you won't know until you try with Android.  If you have any other questions, I will try to respond.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

12 years ago

@Smurfette27 wrote:

Hello,

I'm considering moving from my iPhone 3gs to an android device.  I'd like to have flash and increased ability to customize my phone.  How stable is the android os?  I've been researching, Samsung has the best screen. HTC receives software updates the quickest.  How can I mesh the best of both worlds?  The Samsung galaxy 2 looks great. I really want the infuse but the galaxy has faster processor. I wanted the 4.5inch screen size.  Has anyone looked at the HTC Holiday that may be released to ATT in the future?

Anyone move from an iphone to android?  I would miss the apps and the docking stations. Any advice is appreciated

Well congrats! We got ourselves a brand new "androidian" . I can tell by your post, how liberating you must feel and experiencing more xontrol of your device as well as the nice system flow and processing.

Be sure to share some home screenshots ! You will find a folder in the Android community where we are showing others our customized screens, etc. Also if you like to see some apps fellow androidians have tried and like to recommend theres a folder in the Android community too, called Which Apps Do You Have. Share your new apps experience in that discussion folder and post any suggested apps you like others to know about!

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

Samsung update latencies are really only a problem on AT&T - Samsung keeps international phones updated frequently.

Between the Infuse and the GS2 - Go for the GS2.  Hardware-wise it's only mildly improved (although GPS looks like it may be a significant improvement), but software-wise it's going to be a major leap forward.  The Infuse was an oddball hybrid device halfway between the original GS and the GS2 in hardware design.  As a result it was very difficult to pull software updates and improvements from other devices.

The AT&T Galaxy S2 (SGH-I777), however, is EXTREMELY similar hardware-wise to the international variant (GT-I9100).  As a result it is going to be fairly easy for developers to unofficially port I9100 firmware releases to the I777.  In fact, Cyanogenmod 7.1 was available for the GS2 within hours of it being launched due to the similarities.

Coming from the iPhone, you'll find Android to be a very different experience.  iPhone has a highly polished BUT tightly controlled experience - If your desires differ from how Apple things you should use your phone, you're out of luck.  Android, however, is much more flexible out of the box, and also depending on the phone, has the option of customized firmwares that can give you great amounts of control over your device.  (And can also give you great headaches if you're not careful...)  Cyanogenmod is one such example of the control and flexibility available.  Samsung devices happen to be at the top of the Android food chain in terms of customizability.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

12 years ago

Thank you for all of your imput. The HTC Holiday is supposebly going to be announced this month by att. And supposebly released before December. The LTE technology is holding my interest. Since, Att is supposebly having it available to everyone wilthin two years time.

Apple has such an easy and stable system, Yet they dont offer the simple things other phones do. such as flash. I can't stand it when a website won't function for me because I'm not Flash equiped.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

12 years ago

The customizing of an android is peaking my interest.  With today's apple conference, I think I'm moving towards an android device. I was disappointed by what they had to offer. Not even an increase in screen size.

Master

• 

4.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm not 100% converted yet. But, I'm narrowing my decison between the samsung galaxy 2 and the HTC Holiday.

@RicoLX wrote:

@Smurfette27 wrote:

Hello,

Well congrats! We got ourselves a brand new "androidian" . I can tell by your post, how liberating you must feel and experiencing more xontrol of your device as well as the nice system flow and processing.

Be sure to share some home screenshots ! You will find a folder in the Android community where we are showing others our customized screens, etc. Also if you like to see some apps fellow androidians have tried and like to recommend theres a folder in the Android community too, called Which Apps Do You Have. Share your new apps experience in that discussion folder and post any suggested apps you like others to know about!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

You're welcome for the input. The iPhone 4S does not seem to be a very substantial improvement over the original iPhone 4, so I would not know what to expect if you were to stick with your iPhone instincts. I personally like both Android phones and the iPhone.

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

12 years ago

Smurfette, looks like you are really doing some homework which is good. Personally I can not begin to think of a device so locked down and cant customize or "own" it but instead have to take the deal they tell me. Flash (yep even though some consider it old tech) is still a no-deal for me too. I want a device that allows me to do what I want. Android fit that need.

Professor

• 

1.2K Messages

12 years ago

I was waiting for the Galaxy 2, but was disappointed when it came as the HSPDA+ model instead of the LTE model.  I currently have the Captivate, and think I will probably hold on to it until the HTC Holiday or Galaxy 2 LTE version comes out.  No need buying a phone that is already outdated (LTE is active in 5 cities now, at least 15 by year end).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.