Android Phones and Updates

Master

Android Phones and Updates

What's with all of the updates to the Android smartphones offered on AT&T as of late? I've seen many complaints about them on namely phones such as the Samsung Galaxy S II and the HTC One X, to name a few. Are these updates mandatory, OTA updates where the consumer has no choice whether or not they would like to update to the "latest and greatest" or keep the same stock OS that's usually better in the first place?

If that's the case, I don't think I will consider getting another Android phone, which is truly unfortunate. Some prepaid GoPhone users such as myself who would like to use high end smartphones fork over hundreds of dollars on phones that are expected to be reliable and not a shiny paperweight. After all, there is no warranty. Suppose if your $400 smartphone breaks or becomes almost unusable, as it sounds in some of these cases? You'd be out $400, which sucks.

My last Android smartphone was the original Samsung Captivate Galaxy S that was running 2.3, I think. I never updated it to Gingerbread, despite how laggy it often was. I thought, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 1 of 8 (1,609 Views)
Professor

Re: Android Phones and Updates

There are many updates to Android phones that are floating around now.  Some are OS version updates while others are maintenance updates.  You usually can dismiss the update notification, but the notification will keep coming back and most people find that annoying.

 

There will always be some problems with some phones.  Some people report problems after updates while other people report problems with phones out of the box.  One key thing that many users don't like is that it's a good idea to do a factory data reset after installing an OS update.  This will clear up many of the issues that some users have.

 

These types of problems are not limited to Android phones.  The iPhone and Windows Phone forums have threads about problems after updates, too.

Message 2 of 8 (1,522 Views)
Master

Re: Android Phones and Updates

Okay. That provides some better clarification. It's good to know that the updates aren't completely mandatory, as in the phone automatically updated without the users permission.

I looked at some Android smartphones at the Target mobile booth last night just to see what some of them look like. I saw the Motorola Atrix HD, HTC One X, Galaxy S III, and the Note II. I was very impressed by them, especially how thin the GS III was. However, I looked over at the T-Mobile section and I do prefer the build of the T-Mobile Galaxy S II better.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 3 of 8 (1,433 Views)
Professor

Re: Android Phones and Updates

We all know that I'm a "latest and greatest" individual, so I would recommend the Galaxy Note II.  Outside of the fact that it's the newest one out of the ones that you named, it also does more than any of the other phones on your list (or that's out now). 

 

Since you buy your phones at full retail, have you considered the Nexus 4?  It's $300/8GB or $350/16GB from the Google Play Store.

Message 4 of 8 (1,410 Views)
Professor

Re: Android Phones and Updates


Wild Banchi wrote:
It's good to know that the updates aren't completely mandatory, as in the phone automatically updated without the users permission.


Some folks are reporting forced OTA updates, which do exactly what you are saying (install the update without giving the owner a choice).

 

I believe you can disable the update feature on most Android devices without root.

 

While root is not for everyone, I prefer the freedom it gives me.  The update feature can certainly be disabled with root, and custom ROMs almost always disable the update feature, as well.

 

Message 5 of 8 (1,347 Views)
Master

Re: Android Phones and Updates

___________________________________________________
21stNow wrote:

We all know that I'm a "latest and greatest" individual, so I would recommend the Galaxy Note II. Outside of the fact that it's the newest one out of the ones that you named, it also does more than any of the other phones on your list (or that's out now).

Since you buy your phones at full retail, have you considered the Nexus 4? It's $300/8GB or $350/16GB from the Google Play Store.
____________________________________________________

I apologize for my cruddy quoting response, but for some reason AT&T took the full toolbar option for iOS devices away from the Forum...

But yes, I have looked at and considered the Nexus 4. It is extremely affordable, which surprises me. I also like that there is no carrier bloat ware and the like. All purebred Google. My only issue is that it's manufactured by LG. I haven't had very great luck with LG phones in the past, albeit not completely terrible. The newer Optimus G looks nice and has good reviews, but I would still question the long-term reliability of the Nexus 4.

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 6 of 8 (1,303 Views)
Master

Re: Android Phones and Updates

___________________________________________________
redpoint73 wrote:
Some folks are reporting forced OTA updates, which do exactly what you are saying (install the update without giving the owner a choice).

I believe you can disable the update feature on most Android devices without root.

While root is not for everyone, I prefer the freedom it gives me. The update feature can certainly be disabled with root, and custom ROMs almost always disable the update feature, as well.
___________________________________________________

Yikes... At least there's a workaround.

Have you rooted your One X or the Desire Z you had previously? (Surprised I still remember that.)

Cat Happy Remember that Wild Banchi... 1993-2010 Cat Happy



Message 7 of 8 (1,297 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

Re: Android Phones and Updates

[ Edited ]

Wild Banchi wrote:

Yikes... At least there's a workaround.

Have you rooted your One X or the Desire Z you had previously? (Surprised I still remember that.)


Heck yes.  My One X, DZ were both rooted within a couple days after I bought them.  And my HTC Flyer was S-Off and rooted as soon as an exploit was posted (which happened a month or 2 after I bought it).

 

Root isn't for everyone, and the vast majority of Android users will probably even know what "root" means.  But for me, I love the ability to use apps that block ads, and backup my app data; and best of all the ability to flash the latest and greatest ROMs.  Folks are still complaining about JB not coming to the One X yet, and I've had it on my phone since December.

 

Heh, its good to be remembered for my phones, if nothing else.   ;-)

 

Message 8 of 8 (1,193 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.