For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Mumutrol1's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, August 29th, 2018 4:15 AM

Android 8.0.0 update killed my camera

The Aug 25 update of to Android 8.0.0 killed the stock LG camera app on my LG V20. Every time I turn on the camera, I get the error message "Unfortunately camera stopped working. Open again." Opening again repeated the issue. Reboot doesn't help. Neither does the AT&T Troubleshoot tool. I can't uninstall or update the camera app. 

What am I to do? Anyway to roll back the Android update? I have been a decade long Android fan, but will be switching to iOS next time this is really really sloppy on the part of Google to release such junk. AT&T should not have pushed this untested buggy update onto its customers. 

Thank 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

6 years ago

Can you disable the camera app and reload the default version?

Or if the disable is gray out, force stop it and clear and data.

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

The problem is with the LG V20 specifically, not the general Google update. If you download another camera app in the Play Store, that should work.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

@QuarryRye, thanks for the advice. It doesn't solve my problem. I tried multiple 3rd party apps. None of them support the 3rd camera (front wide angle) that LG V20 has. I lost the use of my wide angle camera, an important feature of my phone. I noticed that several other apps, including paid apps stopped working properly after the update. 

And please don't tell me that the OS is fine, but the phone is the problem. The phone was working just fine before the Android 8.0.0 update. If new OS cannot support the existing software and hardware, then it does more harm then good. I want my old OS back. 

What would you feel if I rewire your home with 360 Volt power, thus disabling your electric equipment and then say: "it's not the new voltage that is the problem, but it's your equipment. Get other equipment that works with 360 voltage and you will be just fine"

Thank you and best regards. 

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

I'm not saying it's not a problem, and I'm not saying the OS update didn't cause it because it did. The solution doesn't lie with rolling back the update. The solution lies with LG. They're the ones who screwed up the phone. I assume they'll be rolling out a fix for it. Hopefully, it will be sooner rather than later. What I suggested was a temporary fix.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Agree with OP, this is why no one wants software updates. It screws up your phone every single time!!!! This update screwed up messaging and camera apps. Was able to recover messaging and not camera

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

"Agree with OP, this is why no one wants software updates. It screws up your phone every single time!!!! "
That's a ridiculous statement. I've done hundreds of software updates on dozens of phones and never had a problem. Every now and then, a software update can cause a problem, but it's rare and usually fixed quickly. 

Let's take the opposing argument. Imagine a world where phone software was never updated. Software updates often include new features. The same number of people complaining they don't want software updates on this forum are only matched by the people complaining that they can't update software to take advantage of new features.

Worse, OS updates also include security patches for issues that are discovered by hackers. If a major security hole was discovered by Google or Apple and they didn't put out a software update to fix it, and hundreds of phones were compromised, the same people whining about software updates would be screaming about why the software wasn't updated to fix it.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

6 years ago

@opichi17 wrote:

Agree with OP, this is why no one wants software updates. It screws up your phone every single time!!!! This update screwed up messaging and camera apps. Was able to recover messaging and not camera

Its plain and simple..  Its a LG coding problem.  LG has a track record of poor support and poor updates that are not tested enough.  The last LG device I bought was a V10 and G4 and I got money from LG since they had to arbitrate the motherboard problems with those phones.  LG will send out a patch as from the looks of the complaints from people that can't get the os update it was pulled pending a fix..  That last statement is pure speculation since ATT won't tell us.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I have a V20 that has the exact same issue!! I got the camera app called "HD Camera Pro & Selfie Camera" by iJoysoft. It works everytime but sometimes the pics are a little fuzzy like the zoom isn't working right or something. But hey, it sure beats no camera at all!! Good luck!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

This happened to me on  my LG V20   and I found I could go into   the camera app  and clear the cache and the data to  get it working.

Settings -> General tab -> Apps & Notifications -> App info -> Camera -> Storage: then clear cache and data.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.