The Samsung Galaxy S24
wrhindy's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 11:13 PM

Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Upgrade and Hands-free Phone Problems

Did the HTC upgrade of the VIVA to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) break the Bluetooth/Hands-free function?

I replaced my HTC ARIA with an HTC VIVID this week.  Unfortunately, I immediately updated the phone to Android 4.0 (ICS).  When I went to pair the phone to my 2012 KIA's Bluetooth phone system (UVO) the problems started.  First, it took me several attempts to pair the phone and the UVO system.  Then after pairing was accomplished (I thought), the phones would not connect properly nor would the would the phone's contacts upload into the UVO system.

This was very disappointing since my HTC ARIA running Android 2.2.2 had worked perfectly.  Later on when I tested a couple of my old bluetooth headsets to see if I could use them as a work around, I discovered that they also were malfunctioning.  I could receive calls but not initiate them using voice commands.

I've been working with computer hardware and software since DOS 2.0 and I'm pretty certain that this is an Android 4.0/Bluetooth software incompatibility issue, probably resulting from insufficient testing.  After all, no company can test every possible hardware and software combination!

Unless someone has a ready solution to this problem, as much as I like the VIVID and ISC back it goes.  I need hands-free calling for work and in Indiana it is illegal for a driver to use anything other than hands-free in a car.  I suppose that means the VIVID is not "street legal"!

Mentor

• 

58 Messages

12 years ago

This is a tutorial for your phone and turning on bluetooth http://www.att.com/learningcenter/tutorialsSearch.do?searchText=bluetooth&deviceId=13440

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion.  That's exactly what I used to pair several headsets.  All demonstrated the same behavior.  They could receive calls but not initiate them.

The procedure for pairing the phone with the KIA/UVO phone system was downloaded from the the UVO web site which lists the VIVID as a compatable phone.  A Customer Service Representative called me today and  it appears that the VIVID was tested with Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) installed.  Their technical support staff is now aware of the possible problem and will probably re-evaluate the VIVID with Android 4.0. installed.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

The HTC Bluetooth stack on ICS is likely different from Gingerbread.  Bluetooth on my One X will pair (and work once paired), but not auto connect with my 2012 Subaru with factory stereo.  Worked fine with my old HTC Desire Z running Gingerbread.  But Sense 3 ROMs had more reliable Bluetooth performance than Sense 2 ROMs.  So it seems that HTC keeps updating the Bluetooth stack with each firmware version.

Also, when comparing the system files for the One X versus my old phone, there are many more car stereo brands added to the blacklist (as non-compatible) than previously. Seems like HTC is taking a bit of a step backward, as there seem to be more issues on the new Bluetooth stack (with various car stereos)  than their used to be.

Your issue is almost certainly due to the software, and not anything you are doing on your end.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

12 years ago

Update on my original post:

On Thursday, I was fiddling with my phone trying to some possible setting that would allow it to complete the Bluetooth connection to my car.  Suddenly the screen went black (not usually a good thing), and then a small green window appeared which said “Android is installing an update”.  After about 15-20 seconds, the screen went black and the phone re-booted.  Another small green window appeared with the words “Updating item 1 of 10”.  The window then counted up through 1-10 and completed the re-boot.  Upon investigation, I found the Bluetooth option in the Settings app was dead: grayed-out and non-responsive.   Not knowing what else to do, I shut down the phone, counted to 30 and re-started it.  Guess what.    The Bluetooth option was back.  Not only that, but the connection to the car was now fully functional and I was able to upload the phone’s contacts to the car as well as place and receive calls.

Was this a “stealth” android update or the original ICS update spontaneously re-starting to correct a botched original install?  Any ideas anyone?

In any case I am happy that the problem seems to have resolved itself because it was for certain that HTC wasn't going to help.  They even deleted my identical post to their community support forums.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Never liked the Bluestack in HTC devices, could never pair a Wii remote to it like nearly all other phones or even AOSP roms on the same device

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm a retired tech with 37 years experience, and I too have the same issue. In researching the problem, I found that the problem is not necessarily any given manufactures problem, but solely and Android ICS problem that many smartphone manufactures use. Android, being a Google OS should have made this aware to all manufactures using the Android market. The hands free dial feature worked well with the older OS's such as the 2.3 Gingerbread, etc. In talking to a lot of tech support people and a lot of different manufactures, I found out that that this feature was omitted with the 4.0 ICS upgrade leaving smartphone manufacture in a bind that advertise smartphones with this feature. Android is a Linux based OS developed by Android Inc. designed primarily for touchscreen mobile devices whom Google backed and later purchased on 2005. It seems to me that Google should have made all of the manufacturers using there 4.0 ICS aware, had some way of reverting back to the older OS's which worked, or at least made the public aware. Now there are many poeple out there, myself included, with smartphones that don't do what they're advertising to do. I will be doing more research on this issue and will keep everyone posted as to what I find out.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.