Android 4.0 ICS for SGH-i777 Samsung Galaxy S2 (Not Sky Rocket)

Scholar

Android 4.0 ICS for SGH-i777 Samsung Galaxy S2 (Not Sky Rocket)

I would like to know when we can expect the Android 4.0 update to roll out for our phones. I know ATT sucks when it comes to giving out updates to their customers.

I just want to find out if anyone knows anything.

Message 1 of 41
Scholar

Re: Android 4.0 ICS for SGH-i777 Samsung Galaxy S2 (Not Sky Rocket)

They're probably going to do the same thing they did with the sony ericsson x10. Last year when Sony (SE at the time) released 2.1 in November, it took AT&T until the following spring to release the update to customers. When they release Gingerbread for the x10, AT&T wasn't even going to offer that upgrade. I didn't want to wait for them to do the upgrade so I flashed my x10 to the generic LAM firmware and got 2.1 OTA.

As soon as I find a good ROM for the i777 based off the unlocked SGS2 that got ICS a couple of weeks ago I'm flashing mine. I can't stand waiting on AT&T to catch up to everyone else.

Message 16 of 41
Teacher

{word filter evasions}

If the iPhone 5 has a larger screen I'm going back, I'm sick of this waiting half a year for an update

And I'll get my phone with Version.

Message 17 of 41
Professor

Since when has AT&T ever been timely with firmware updates?

(Sadly..) 'Nuff said.

Message 18 of 41
Employee

Since when has any carrier been on top of the update game
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 19 of 41

fortex24 wrote:

{word filter evasions}

If the iPhone 5 has a larger screen I'm going back, I'm sick of this waiting half a year for an update

And I'll get my phone with Version.

You won't be any better off with other North American carriers, VZW is just as bad with updates.  The VZW GNex was the ONLY GNex to still be stuck on 4.0.2 until this week, every other GNex was promptly updated.  Just like AT&T, nearly all of their non-Nexus phones are taking forever for ICS updates.

Message 20 of 41
Mentor

That is true, all carriers (not only North American) cripple the devices on purpose and use the phrase "you are going to void your warranty" if you try to use your phone as it should work as "mind handcuffs".

Any one with a basic reading comprehension and ability to follow instructions carefully can take advantage of the ocean of information that is out there.

My SII is 3 days old and running ICS so smooth and I am so happy with it, it s almost uneasy. I find no point anymore in complaining to the carriers about crippling our devices and not giving us updates on time. I lost faith a long time.

Message 21 of 41
Voyager

Wow, so much thread crapping in these forums.  Does anyone know have any real information related to the ICS update for this phone?  And no, rooting is not an option for everyone.  Some of us want to keep our warranties.  Saying we don't really want ICS because we're not willing to root is ignorant.  I have the Vivid and am loving ICS...am eagerly waiting for the update for my wife's S2.

Message 22 of 41

jckat2000 wrote:

Wow, so much thread crapping in these forums.  Does anyone know have any real information related to the ICS update for this phone?  And no, rooting is not an option for everyone.  Some of us want to keep our warranties.  Saying we don't really want ICS because we're not willing to root is ignorant.  I have the Vivid and am loving ICS...am eagerly waiting for the update for my wife's S2.

No one ever has release dates.

All I can tell you is - There's no way UCLD3 is going to go live, and if it does go live, AT&T is stupid.  UCLD3 has a serious kernel bug that can cause permanent hardware damage.

If you want prompt updates, you need to buy an unlocked international device.

Message 23 of 41
Contributor

i think UPDATE is coming soon...as previously when i used to update OTA , it was saying ATT server busy...but now its coming your software currently upto date...

so ATT is really doing something inside

Message 24 of 41
ACE - Professor

While there is no ETA on the release of ICS, you can still customize your Android device to the ICS theme while you wait for the release as well. Smiley Wink

Posted from my Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, an AT&T LTE smartphone. Experience speeds up to 10x faster than 3G.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 25 of 41
Scholar

Wow, so your best response is that you all suck? Smiley Very Happy  I'm no fan of Apple, but at least they identified the carriers as being the problem with updates, and proceeded to cut them out of the process!  I'd be *so* much happier if the Android makers had been able to do the same thing.

Message 26 of 41
ACE - Professor

Well Samsung does have the Galaxy Nexus which does not require the carriers to approve the update and it comes directly from Google. Smiley Wink

Posted from my iPhone 4S on AT&T, the nation's fastest 4G network.
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 41
Mentor

Agree with you bmgoodman.  Not sure why ATT insist on being software developers.  Maybe there are more profit on it than I I understand and also as a platform to block any software that can intrude in their profit margin (VOIP apps, wallet apps, messaging apps) as they learned a hard lesson with imessenger.  I guess expecting a service provider to just make money off service plans is too mcuh to ask for.

Anyway, for those who are afraid of rooting in regards to warranty.  There are a few ICS releases that are rock solid.  Rooting is nothing as intrusive as "jailbreaking" in iOS and no hard bricking has been reported so far.  All you have to do is unroot before you claim your warranty.  Frankly, the ICS releases right now are already way better than whatever ATT is going to officially release in the future.  So don't worry about doing the work twice because chances are that you will never go back since the development is way more frequent and current with the "amateurs experts".

Message 28 of 41

takuyaah wrote:

Agree with you bmgoodman.  Not sure why ATT insist on being software developers.  Maybe there are more profit on it than I I understand and also as a platform to block any software that can intrude in their profit margin (VOIP apps, wallet apps, messaging apps) as they learned a hard lesson with imessenger.  I guess expecting a service provider to just make money off service plans is too mcuh to ask for.

Anyway, for those who are afraid of rooting in regards to warranty.  There are a few ICS releases that are rock solid.  Rooting is nothing as intrusive as "jailbreaking" in iOS and no hard bricking has been reported so far.  All you have to do is unroot before you claim your warranty.  Frankly, the ICS releases right now are already way better than whatever ATT is going to officially release in the future.  So don't worry about doing the work twice because chances are that you will never go back since the development is way more frequent and current with the "amateurs experts".

I disagree on no hard bricking being reported - the AT&T UCLD3 leak can hardbrick you, and is the only item known to cause hardbricks.

Yes, you heard that right - the most dangerous software for your phone is an AT&T-customized package.

There's a reason the XDA I777 community has barely touched any of the AT&T leaks, and the one dev that was working with them pulled the links and closed the thread.  Simply put - GT-I9100 firmware releases provide a safer and higher quality base than anything which has ever come through AT&T's software mangling process.

Message 29 of 41
Mentor

You are right entropy.  I meant to say that no one reported hard bricking for the ics roms I have used.  The ATT leaked rom obviously is notorious for having issues. 

Message 30 of 41
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support