The Samsung Galaxy S24
raiu's profile

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

Friday, March 30th, 2012 11:56 AM

Android 4.0 ICS for SGH-i777 Samsung Galaxy S2 (Not Sky Rocket)

I would like to know when we can expect the Android 4.0 update to roll out for our phones. I know ATT sucks when it comes to giving out updates to their customers.

I just want to find out if anyone knows anything.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

The latest leak (UCLD3, 3rd build in April) still have some obvious bugs (like Swype keyboard still broken). So, it is not ready for release yet even if AT&T wants to.

Sprint has the worst data speeds according to the recent mobile data speed survey. AT&T really doesn't worry too much that you will jump ship to Sprint at all. You can't have unlimited data on Verizon any more. So, AT&T is safe as long as customers don't jump to its sole competitor, Verizon.

As for your 'refund'. You will be lucky if AT&T didn't ask you for ETF:)

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Of course there is always the case of them ranking last or near last for JD Power's cellular services and Verizon ranking near the top.  AT&T probably does not care about me jumping ship to Verizon when the time comes but when their prices increase and the services offer decrease a lot more people will be jumping ship as well.

Scholar

• 

205 Messages

12 years ago

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@redhot4400 wrote:

you may check the link below:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00046726&fm_seq=49755#

Thanx in Advance

Pretty worthless, just says an upgrade is coming not when.  Remember, the Infuse Gingerbread upgrade was announced last August - we didn't see a first attempt until early February, and that was a failure that got pulled, with the second attempt not until April.

AT&T continues to insist on mangling the I777 firmware with useless customization that do nothing but break it.  The I777 leaks lag at LEAST a month behind I9100 firmware releases, even though it took me only a few evenings of my spare time and one Saturda to get I9100 firmwares running on the I777.  Any AT&T or Samsung developer (with actual documentation of the deivce) could have done it in 1-2 hours.

On top of that, AT&T has managed to shoehorn dangerous bugs into the UCLD3 leak that don't exist in any I9100 firmware release.  The UCLD3 kernel has a dangerous bug in the MMC driver that can cause permanent damage to the phone's internal storage, leading to a rash of hardbricks that can't even be recovered via JTAG.  The XDA I777 community has been almost completely free of hardbricks since the device launched in October - since the UCLD3 leak we've seen probably 10-20 hardbricks or more, all related to doing a wipe/factory reset using the UCLD3 kernel.  Most of those were wipes using Clockworkmod recovery, however I'm fairly certain wipes in stock recovery will have the same risks.  (CWM recovery has been 100% rock-solid stable on every other kernel for the I777.)

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

12 years ago

They're probably going to do the same thing they did with the sony ericsson x10. Last year when Sony (SE at the time) released 2.1 in November, it took AT&T until the following spring to release the update to customers. When they release Gingerbread for the x10, AT&T wasn't even going to offer that upgrade. I didn't want to wait for them to do the upgrade so I flashed my x10 to the generic LAM firmware and got 2.1 OTA.

As soon as I find a good ROM for the i777 based off the unlocked SGS2 that got ICS a couple of weeks ago I'm flashing mine. I can't stand waiting on AT&T to catch up to everyone else.

• 

25.7K Messages

12 years ago

{word filter evasions}

If the iPhone 5 has a larger screen I'm going back, I'm sick of this waiting half a year for an update

And I'll get my phone with Version.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

12 years ago

Since when has AT&T ever been timely with firmware updates?

(Sadly..) 'Nuff said.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Since when has any carrier been on top of the update game

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@fortex24 wrote:

{word filter evasions}

If the iPhone 5 has a larger screen I'm going back, I'm sick of this waiting half a year for an update

And I'll get my phone with Version.

You won't be any better off with other North American carriers, VZW is just as bad with updates.  The VZW GNex was the ONLY GNex to still be stuck on 4.0.2 until this week, every other GNex was promptly updated.  Just like AT&T, nearly all of their non-Nexus phones are taking forever for ICS updates.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

12 years ago

That is true, all carriers (not only North American) cripple the devices on purpose and use the phrase "you are going to void your warranty" if you try to use your phone as it should work as "mind handcuffs".

Any one with a basic reading comprehension and ability to follow instructions carefully can take advantage of the ocean of information that is out there.

My SII is 3 days old and running ICS so smooth and I am so happy with it, it s almost uneasy. I find no point anymore in complaining to the carriers about crippling our devices and not giving us updates on time. I lost faith a long time.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.