The Samsung Galaxy S24
raiu's profile

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

Friday, March 30th, 2012 11:56 AM

Android 4.0 ICS for SGH-i777 Samsung Galaxy S2 (Not Sky Rocket)

I would like to know when we can expect the Android 4.0 update to roll out for our phones. I know ATT sucks when it comes to giving out updates to their customers.

I just want to find out if anyone knows anything.

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

12 years ago

IMHO it will be months before they release it for the GSII, its a shame but AT&T seems to drag their feet when it comes to releasing OS updates...  I went through this with waiting for WP7 updates before with my old the WP7 Focus, when the Galaxy S2 was released I jumped ship... .  

I've been running ICS on my Galaxy S2 for almost a week and have to say its VERY nice!!   (No not the AT&T version lol).  ALTHOUGH there are rumors the Galaxy S3 w/ICS will be coming out in May with ICS already running so maybe AT&T will drag their feet until the summer in hopes of getting customers to jump on it and extend their contracts.. that would be sad indeed for those waiting..

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

There was an ICS leak for AT&T GS2 (i777) this week (as well as a leak for Skyrocket a day earlier), firmware version UCLC2. It was a supprisingly stable build but still have a few critical bugs in it. From the naming, it is the second build in the month of March. So, assume there will be some testing by AT&T in March and rejected (due to those bugs) and we are looking at another build from Samsung either at the end of March or Arpil. Then, another month or two testing. So, I'd say it will be end of May or June at the earliest for the official AT&T release, assuming GS3 is not coming out around the summer for AT&T. Otherwise, it will be further delayed.

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

The Monday UCLC2 leak was abysmally poor - it's obvious that AT&T is again doing the "force Samsung to make unnecessary customizations that break things" deal again.  UCLC2 is clearly based on an older codebase than the I9100 ICS release, and has all sorts of things broken in it that aren't broken in XXLPQ or XWLP2 - without fixing ANY of the things that are broken in those releases.

The leak didn't even have NFC, which is the ONLY thing I777-specific we're missing now.

I've been bouncing back and forth between XWLP2 and CyanogenMOD 9 on my I777 since last Friday - no more Gingerbread for me (other than going back to test how something worked back then.)

Touchwizzed ICS is a major disappointment - it's not really much of an improvement over Gingerbread.

CM9, however, is far more polished than CM7 ever was on our device, and is probably going to be in a nearly 100% state before even another AT&T leak comes out - despite the CM team having to work against Samsung instead of with them.

Scholar

• 

131 Messages

12 years ago

The only version I see on there is for the international version. I have the sgh--i777 which does not have the center buton. Where can I find this for my phone?

Scholar

• 

374 Messages

12 years ago

Google it, moderators don't look kindly on steering customers in that direction 🙂 there are already a few solid ones available for our i777, my present one is rock solid, I won't even think of messing with the att version when ever it gets released, prob have a Galaxy S3 in my hand by then lol

Guru

• 

725 Messages

12 years ago

@pmt1209 wrote:
Google it, moderators don't look kindly on steering customers in that direction 🙂 there are already a few solid ones available for our i777, my present one is rock solid, I won't even think of messing with the att version when ever it gets released, prob have a Galaxy S3 in my hand by then lol

As long as you don't use SetCPU screen-off profiles you'll be fine.  If you use them, you're likely to uncover some oddball Samsung bugs not caught because they never test changing CPU frequency limits.  I've fixed most of the issues but there are still a few glitches that only seem to appear if you try to mess with CPU min/max frequency limits.

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

12 years ago

In case, AT&T thinks that we have given up. I still want my ICS!

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

i want my ice cream sandwich too, I paid good money for my galaxy s2., upgrade my OS or give me a refund at&t.......... And I'll go to sprint or Verizon who has unlimited data and ICE CREAM SANDWICH 

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Verizon doesn't have unlimited data and only has 1 phone with ICS. Sprint just got their first ICS phone today. Att has one, its the vivid. If you really want ICS root your phone, if you're unwilling to then you don't really want it

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

12 years ago

no i will not void my warrenty on a device im planning on getting a refund for... regardless of what you say, at&t is most likely withholding this update to force customers into longer contracts for the galaxy s3

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.