The Samsung Galaxy S24
zacling's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Friday, December 21st, 2012 7:51 PM

Android 4.0.4 for GS2, even worse than 4.0.3

Since yesterday I updated to Android 4.0.4, My phone has deadly slept for two times.

It powered off automatically--even I was not aware when it shut down--and could not power on unless I took the battery off and put it back to turn the phone on.

I had such experience on Android 4.0.3 but it was not so frequent--about once or twice per week.

Very disappointed with this new ROM.

How to sovle this problem?

Waiting for Jelly Bean, although ATT will not release it probably.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

Mine is over a year old. I hope at&t and Samsung fix it quickly after the 404 update.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

This is what I'm going to do.  I went back to 2.3.6 and will spend tomorrow backing up data and moving on to a custom ROM.

Teacher

• 

18 Messages

11 years ago

How did you go back to the previous version?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

You have to root your phone and basically force the original phone's 2.3.4 version onto it.  Look around in Android custom firmware communities.  It's very tricky to do and even I found it confusing to do as someone who's pretty technologically versed.  Also it voids your warranty, not like I had any though since my S2 was refurbished.

I found a custom version of AT&T's 4.0.3, hopefully one that doesn't go into the sleep of death.  Even so at least 4.0.3 only went into "sleep of death" once a week as opposed to every hour with 4.0.4.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

First let me say the only way to prevent the sleep of death is to root the phone, but the problem with that is the camera won't work properly. Going back to official 4.0.3 is quite easy and doesn't require going back to 2.3.4.

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

what problems with the camera do you mean?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I'm having the same problem, come on ATT! My GS2 was great with 4.0.3, but shuts down with 4.0.4

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

It is now March 8th, and my phone kills itself at least 4-5 times a day. Constantly having to hard reset my phone is really getting old. And what's fun is that I just used my warrenty, with all of 8 days left, to replace my original GS2 that had a faulty USB hub. The refurbished phone they sent me came preloaded with 4.0.4, and I am about ready to throw it at a wall and buy a Nexus 4. Good job AT&T, your need to install endless amounts of bloatware and the inability to let the OEM manufacture put out updates, and instead doing it yourself, has killed a otherwise wonderful phone. GG. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

It is the firmware's problem rather than the hardware. Sending you another GS2 won't solve the problem. I flashed a third part ROM which runs flawlessly even though that broke my warrenty. After my two year contract end, I will see goodbye to AT&T.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.