The Samsung Galaxy S24
MetFan_1's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, May 26th, 2013 8:36 PM

Adding SD Card to Galaxy S4 16 Gg

Just bought the S4 16 Gg phone. Want to add the SD Card. They said it should be the SD HC Card, all I find is 64 Gg ,

SD XC 64. What is the difference and can I use it, says compatible, just not sure the difference from HC to XC, thanks in advance.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Moderator

• 

773 Messages

11 years ago

MetFan_1,

Welcome to the forum, here are a few specs below.

HC = High Capacity   4GB - 32GB

XC = Extended Capacity  32GB - 2TB

Samsung Galaxy S IV can handle a max of 64GB micro SD card, HC doesn't go higher that 32GB so you will need the XC to max out. Searching memory sites it does show both HC and XC are compatible.

James

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Devices have been cross compatible with HC and XC (as well as the "standard capacity" MicroSD) for some time now (couple years?).  So the S4 should be fine with XC.  If the specs says its compatible with 64 GB, than its compatible with XC, as  64 GB only exists as XC (as previously mentioned).

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I personally just put in a 32gb HC card into my 16gb s4 and even before then I had only used a total of 1gb of internal memory from the 9gb available with pictures, videos, and apps/games after starting the phone.

If you are using more than that get a tablet or laptop for god's sake. lol remember people these are phones first and foremost.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@madox01r wrote:

I personally just put in a 32gb HC card into my 16gb s4 and even before then I had only used a total of 1gb of internal memory from the 9gb available with pictures, videos, and apps/games after starting the phone.

If you are using more than that get a tablet or laptop for god's sake. lol remember people these are phones first and foremost.

Everyone uses their phone differently.  The phone supports up to 64 GB of expandable memory, so the OP has every right to use it if he wants.  If a phone is all you need, you can get a free flip phone of a Jitterbug, or just a lower tier smartphone for that matter; not a $600+ (unsubsidized price) flagship smartphone.  These things are pocket computers.  They have the ability to play music and video, and play games on the go, and much more, without having to lug around a tablet or laptop.  And many people find it useful to have movies or vidoes on the phone itself; instead of gobbling up their data plan streaming, which is also not usable when no data connection or WiFi is accessible.  Besides, tablets usually don't have any higher storage specs than the flagship smartphones.  Often less so, in fact.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@madox01r wrote:

My $678.39 says that it's whatever I want it to be.  I use it as a handheld internet browser, gaming device, music player and GPS unit.  I use it as a phone last.  If you want to spend your money and use it as a phone first, that's your prerogative.  However, I have the right to use my Galaxy S4 as I see fit, as well.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Wow! Such high animosity in here. You all do realize you are acquiring a phone (first) and gaming, camera, internet browsing, pda, social networking, camcorder, gps unit, travel agent, etc. (Second) right? What I was getting at was its a phone, it has its own limits.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

@21stnow- and you are right, if the "lol" didnt give it away it was a statement and not an eweb troll. You have your right and guess what..........so do I. Just like how you paid full retail and I chose not to.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

11 years ago

Back on Topic,

I will be getting my S4 this week. Is it advised to format the card after installing

into phone, using the S4 to format, or just start using it as is???

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

11 years ago

You don't need to format it. I just plugged mine into my laptop, copied music to it, then plugged it into the phone and powered up. No issues.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

11 years ago

Hi,

Thanks, I was just wondering because I've been reading

a lot of posts about the different formatting on the cards.

I have a 64 gb class 10 card on the way.

Ken

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.