The Samsung Galaxy S24
Philz67's profile

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 3:18 PM

ATT Locks All Bootloaders

I became customer October 2012 purchasing Galaxy Note 2.

Ive found ATT Coverage  , CS  , store experience to be the BEST but there is some bad news.

ATT no longer supports Android consumer freedom & will be locking down ALL future device bootloaders they sell.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/02/att-to-android-users-we-dont-support-unlocked-bootloaders-so-stop-asking-us-about-every-phone/

With this being the case I will make move to T-mobile for Galaxy Note 3 release.

Guru

• 

309 Messages

11 years ago

@sitnsidewayz wrote:

At some point it becomes best to just pay for what you want, instead of chasing the reduced prices the carriers are willing to give you for sucking up their locked down devices.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I got rid of my AT&T GS3, used the funds to help finance the purchase of a GS4 Google Edition and will never buy another carrier-branded device. Locked bootloaders and ludicrous update delays? No thanks.

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

11 years ago

@Evandela wrote:
While I understand its not the same, people would still have the option of actually using launchers to customize their devices, which is still pretty cool to me anyway.

Not trying to be rude, but there is a reason why so many people want their unlocked bootloaders. Running a 3rd party launcher over a stock bloated ROM and saying that it may be a solution is akin to throwing some paint on top of a heavily rusted car and calling it showroom quality.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

jii, it was a suggestion. Some may or may not be aware of that option. However, I do stand by what I said in regards to unlocked phones being a workaround.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

Well what a depressing day.
I'm prepping for Galaxy Note 3 release touched base with T-mobile getting plan figured out etc and will be making move due to ATT locked boot loader policy.
T-Mobile LTE coverage is = to ATT in my area with unlimited data & smaller price tag which is a plus but I'm very sad.
Ive been with ATT for almost a year finding excellent coverage / CS and planed on being a customer for a long time but that changed due to ATT policy taking away customer freedom putting lockdown on bootloader
If I buy a device it should be mine to do as I want , ATT doesnt agree

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

My wife and I both want Samsund Galaxy phones (S4 Mini for me and Note 3 for her). Should we go Verizon? I don't want to try to learn how to root my phone.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

10 years ago

@pcunite wrote:

My wife and I both want Samsund Galaxy phones (S4 Mini for me and Note 3 for her). Should we go Verizon? I don't want to try to learn how to root my phone.

I don't get it.  If you don't want to learn how to root a phone, why do you care if the bootloader is locked?  Or is the difficult of said root that you are referring to?

In any case, Verizon is just as bad at trying to keep their phones locked down.  So I don't know why you think Verizon is a better option.

Mentor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

>> I don't get it. If you don't want to learn how to root a phone,

>> why do you care if the bootloader is locked? Or is the difficulty

>> of said root that you are referring to?

I'm guess I'm referring to how AT&T does not supposedly release updates for their phones and I might have to root it.

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

10 years ago

I understand AT&T does not support unlocked bootloaders - but if I move to a different carrier they say they will "unlock" - doesn't that include the bootloader?

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

No, SIM unlocks are only to use devices on another carrier (Example: Use AT&T devices on T-Mobile etc).

You would have to check with the device manufacturer to see if they can provide ways to unlock the boot loader or via another method.

HTC does allow their devices to have the bootloader unlocked via their developer website.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Do NOT buy a Galaxy Note 3 or ANY Android phone from AT&T They can NOT be ROOTED. AT&T: Unlock OUR Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Bootloader!

What does it mean for the average user? Less freedom. Less resale value (Used phones that cannot be rooted are undesirable. What does it mean for "Power Users" and folks that love to have the best of everything? It means these phones cannot be modded. In any way. No Boot Loader unlock means no root. No root means no custom recovery. No custom recovery means no custom ROMs. no STOCK ROMS with performance tweaks. No ROMs of any type.

It means that anyone who cares a lot about their mobile device should start looking elsewhere. Like T-Mobile, where they still value their customers. I am taking 5 lines of service over to T-Mobile SPECIFICALLY because of this bone headed move. AT&T: WHAT HAPPENED? 

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.