The Samsung Galaxy S24
Philz67's profile

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

Tuesday, August 6th, 2013 3:18 PM

ATT Locks All Bootloaders

I became customer October 2012 purchasing Galaxy Note 2.

Ive found ATT Coverage  , CS  , store experience to be the BEST but there is some bad news.

ATT no longer supports Android consumer freedom & will be locking down ALL future device bootloaders they sell.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/08/02/att-to-android-users-we-dont-support-unlocked-bootloaders-so-stop-asking-us-about-every-phone/

With this being the case I will make move to T-mobile for Galaxy Note 3 release.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

I can't really make comments that are compliant with the rules of the forums on this subject matter.  Suffice it to say that I'm not happy with the stance that AT&T takes.  However, I'm not as surprised considering that this was the last carrier to allow sideloading of apps on Android phones.  I am disappointed, though.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

I would really opt to buying a phone unlocked without it being tied to a carrier. I wouldn't want to sacrifice coverage and reliability for some new approach being taken. Everything has its exceptions, it seems unlocked devices is one of them, but I too am disappointed.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

Well hopefully ATT will rethink their stance or they will loose big time.

After their GS4 Bootloader lockdown many consumers made move to T-mobiles unlocked version , less expensive prepay plan with unlimited data.

Such customer activity will become more popular as time moves on ATT will pay a big price.

The Android tech Nerd community is a strong one & the word is getting out with recommendations to steer clear of this carrier that trickles down to the not so informed smartphone buyer which ATT banks on.

Those customers will be moving onto unlocked bootloader carriers as well.

Word of mouth goes a long way,

6 of my friends using Verizon are thinking about making move to ATT in fall , Needless to say I will recommend against it if all bootloaders are locked.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

While I understand its not the same, people would still have the option of actually using launchers to customize their devices, which is still pretty cool to me anyway.

There must be people who love android out there, heck, even I like Android though for simplicity I use my iPhone, but the problem itself could be avoided just by purchasing an unlocked device. My guess this really doesn't affect many because they like the unique features that OEMs out on the phones, for example Sense and BoomSound for HTC or Multi Window and TouchWiz from Samsung.

Every carrier has something a consumer will not like. Personally I hated T-Mobile's unlocking policy though its changed now. I also hated their coverage but they have very neat devices now in their lineup. Everything comes with a price, whether it's present now or in the near future.

Mentor

• 

26 Messages

11 years ago

Well some advice to ATT

"When user has device choice they have freedom we are ATT"

That has a good ring to it no other carrier holds .

If you sold unlocked bootloader version with software warranty sign away that would be a major positive keeping your full ATT android customer base in tact also attracting others with safeguard in place for you not eating brick device.

If unlocked bootloader brick crash occurs consumer would have to deal with Samsung warranty 1-800

Scholar

• 

43 Messages

11 years ago

I usually would agree with the sentiment not to buy a phone with a locked bootloader. In the past I have found it NECESSARY to get phones to do what I intended. The Galaxy S was released WAY before its firmware was actually ready. When I bought the phone, it could not do Voice dial over Bluetooth. I had to install firmware that worked, but since it came from another variation, it did not support the Audience noise cancellation technology that was in the phone. I had the phone for maybe 8 months before AT&T released an update that supported both bluetooth voice dial and the noise cancelation.

With the S4, both features above work as they should, AND the phone allows tethering with no hacking, since AT&T has finally gone reasonable on the issue of tethering with new phones.

Now, I have no compelling reason to mess with the phone, so I really don't mind. Also, the task manager on the phone will allow you to disable the bloatware. You can't uninstall it, but disabling it keeps it out of the way.

This is the first time I've been satisfied with a phone as delivered by AT&T, so I don't really mind not having to mess with custom ROMs and whatnot. 

I realize others may feel differently, but I think most users just want their phone to work without having to mess with it.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

11 years ago

Any time a major carrier takes away a feature or capability, increases prices, decreases service and then uses Newspeak to make it sound like they're doing it FOR their customers, you need only do one thing. Simply recite the mantra "Behold the power of the oligopoly!" Say it with conviction. The Big 4 cell companies can do pretty much what they want. For every customer who hates X and goes to Y, there is a customer who hates Y and goes to X.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

11 years ago

What you want would not be affected at all by having an unlocked bootloader. For myself I took the most recent update and after that i was unable to install apps form the app store.... after wiping the phone as instructed i was told that the software was corrupt and i would need a new phone.... well I don't really want to get a refurbished phone for something that could very easily be fixed if the bootloader wasn't locked.... its funny the things ATT is allowed to do to MY DEVICE that i have no legal rights to.....

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

11 years ago

While I understand why as a company AT&T would want to lock the bootloaders I also am disappointed with the decision.  Especially even when given the fact that once a device is no longer available from AT&T (Xperia ion, Xperia TL) we still can't unlock the bootloader.  Very least they could do is once the device is EOL from their lineup is allow the bootloader to be unlocked, expecially if the device is out of warranty.  At that point what would they have to lose?

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

AT&T has never supported unlocked bootloaders and I don't see that changing anytime in the forseen future. This is the main thing that drove me to XDA to learn what I have learned. Now, I won't even have a carrier branded device. My Nexus 4 was only $350 and it runs fine on the AT&T network, plus I am enjoying the freedom of modding my device to my liking. It is great to see manufacturers now putting out devices that are pure Android, which are non manufacturer branded, non carrier branded. All this just gives the consumer more choice. At some point it becomes best to just pay for what you want, instead of chasing the reduced prices the carriers are willing to give you for sucking up their locked down devices.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.