Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT Android Update for HTC One (M8)

Contributor

ATT Android Update for HTC One (M8)

I have attempted twice download and install the newest update for the HTC One M8 from ATT, and both time the installation has failed.  Is there a known issue with this update, or is this a problem specific to my phone?

Message 1 of 63
Contributor

Re: ATT Android Update for HTC One (M8)

I cleared up to ~17GB of space on my internal storage, downloaded again, and I think it's actually working this time. The phone went through several screens with a progress bar and some reboots, and now I think this is the installation screen I'm looking at, with a blue progress bar, spinning icon, and actual percentage listed (nearly 50% now). I didn't think to take out my SD card prior to downloading, and I read the latest replies here after I'd started the update process. 

Anyway, fingers crossed, I think clearing up space for me has fixed this issue. 

Message 16 of 63
ACE - Expert

@ParisRat wrote:

@I get the same error messages @ricobhi.
@Glimmerman: Yes, I have that update.
We're the special few where the 6.0 update fails? I have >1.0GB available on the phone + >5.0GB on SD. (Where are the unzipped folders placed?)
Any other ideas? Is the unzipping failing? I find it hard to believe the BMPs are really missing from the install package...

Thanks!

well looking at reports it will take 16 gb of free space to install.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 63
Voyager

Tried the istall yesterday afternoon; it failed.  Everytime I check now to re-try it, it says up-to-date.  I tried changing the time on clock to be able to check again and clearing the cache.  Get same message its up-to-date and can't even attempt at re-trying the download.

Any suggestions on what's going on?

Message 18 of 63
Voyager

I'm also getting this same error along with others. Why would you need 16GB free for a 1GB OTA? That's ridiculous.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-m8/662670-when-will-t-update-come-htc-one-m8-marshmallow-4....

I also took the "lets wipe" route and now it's telling me that theres no software update available. Beyond frustrating.

Message 19 of 63

Having the same problem as kirkfitz idk what to do

Message 20 of 63
Voyager

Yeah, I've read others clearing room over 14gb to work too, and I even have that much room and still failed. To me that seemed far fetched for a solution as well, since it was a 1gb update. I could see having 2 or 3gb free..but I have 14.75. It's like they have taken the update down or something. Mo Versi from HTC on Twitter has been oddly silent for the day after a new update (@moversi).

Anyone been able to receive the download since say noon eastern or know anyone that has?
Message 21 of 63
ACE - Expert

@kirkfitz wrote:
Yeah, I've read others clearing room over 14gb to work too, and I even have that much room and still failed. To me that seemed far fetched for a solution as well, since it was a 1gb update. I could see having 2 or 3gb free..but I have 14.75. It's like they have taken the update down or something. Mo Versi from HTC on Twitter has been oddly silent for the day after a new update (@moversi).

Anyone been able to receive the download since say noon eastern or know anyone that has?

@kirkfitz

HTC has not posted the images on there website yet either.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 63
ACE - Professor

It's unfortunate they're creating such a large map file as part of the install, but the solution is relatively simple.

- get a decent-sized SD (or a larger one if you have one that's full)

- move all your user data (pics, music, etc) and most of your apps to the SD (some apps can't/won't move, but most will)

- make sure you've got >16GB of sytem space free, when the above is done

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 23 of 63

Maybe they decided to pull the update after finding issues like the ones we are having?

Message 24 of 63
ACE - Professor

Yeah, maybe.  I've written my share of update and install software, and it's hard to imagine a scenario where they'd need 16GB to do an in-place upgrade,

It's possible someone flipped the wrong bit though, and they're trying to make a full mirror of your data, instead, which would align with the 17GB deal, but I'm only guessing here...

*If this (or another post in this thread) fixes your problem/issue, please mark it as "accept-solution", and I'll tag it, to make it easier for others to find the answer(s). FYI: I'm an AT&T end-user, just like most of us in the forum. Thanks.

Message 25 of 63

Yeah that's what I assume. 16GB for an Android update is unrealistic. Hopefully the update is unavailable because they noticed a mistake regarding the whole storage thing and are fixing it. Fingers crossed ;p

Message 26 of 63
Contributor

I cleaned up to almost 17 GB free space in internal storage. Update is still failed. Never rooted phone.....

Message 27 of 63
Teacher

OK, backed up and wiped internal SD, factory reset phone, and the upgrade went without a hitch. A little more of a pain, but probably the best way to do it. BTW, I just performed the upgrade, so it hasn't been taken down.
Message 28 of 63
Tutor

Did they stop the update? I have everything saved and cleared out but now it says my software is up to date. Is there a way to download it manually? 

Message 29 of 63

Greaaattt... Managed to clear up 18GB but now it still tells me my software is already up to date. Tried rolling the date & time forward to check again this morning and still getting the same message. RIP long awaited update Smiley Sad

Considering wiping my phone but I don't know if it's really worth that...

Message 30 of 63
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

Do you need to fix, replace or track a device? We Can Help With That!

Additional Support