The Samsung Galaxy S24
josephi's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 11:36 PM

AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

This is really irritating.  I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket at the full non contract price of $600.  I travel internationally 2-3 times per year and wanted the unlock code so that I can use local SIMs in foreign countries.  When I called AT&T to get it, I was told by both a rep and her supervisor that the unlock code was not available as AT&T has exclusive rights to this phone, and there was no date when the codes would become available, if ever.  Seems to me that since I paid the full, non discounted price on it, and I technically own it, they should have it available if I request it.  I guess I should have called and asked about this before I bought the phone.

So, now my options are to return this phone and go back to using my old one which is unlocked, which would be a shame because I really like this Skyrocket, or to try one of the online pay services.  Having to pay for it seems unfair to me, though.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

need unlock code for my phone, going out of country.

[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

IMEI number is your private info, and you DO NOT want it posted all over the internet.  Please DELETE ASAP.

Also, posting your IMEI here is not going to magically get your unlock code.  You need to call AT&T for the code, as they will check if you account is in good standing before they give you the code.  Alternately, you can get the code from eBay or other online sources for a few dollars, if AT&T will not give it to you.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Would not give me code today for Blackberry Bold I have had for 3years!!! Called 2 different times hoping different rep would be more helpful. They seemed to be trying but ultimately said they did not have code???! Seems illegal to hold my phone hostage like that.
Anyway I did actually use an eBay unlock code vendor as I want this as an extra phone I could use traveling overseas.
Not much of a risk for $3 I figured.
Well, the code worked great!! Had to search instructions on how to use it but not hard to find. eBay vendor probably would give those instructions if asked too.
Don't understand what is going on with AT&T (did end conversation by telling me about their international plan) but this worked for me and will be much less expensive than an overseas plan.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Hi I'm confused about this whole unlock code thing. I have a Verizon Droid 2 global and a at&t go phone sim card. Can someone tell me how this works and what I'm suppose to do?! Please and thank you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

It's March 2013, and AT&T still is not providing unlock codes for the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, saying "AT&T is the exclusive carrier of the device and under the existing exclusivity agreement we are unable to provide the device unlock code."

I do not recall ever being told that this phone was "special" and that it would not be unlocked like the *several* other phones I have had from AT&T.  I spoke with an AT&T support rep (& a manager) today, and have asked them to escalate the matter to their marketing and customer care execs.  Hoping for a response that provides a customer-friendly solution.

If Samsung is refusing to unlock a 2-generation old phone (assuming the S4 phone is around the corner), because of some exclusivity contract they have with AT&T, I would be very very surprised (and annoyed).

AT&T execs - if you are listening, please act ASAP.

Regards,

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

Hopefully, the recent statement from the White House will lead to some action on this.  I don't think that the carriers will change their positions on this type of thing without government intervention, unfortunately.

Voyager

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

March 5th and your right At&T will still not unlock, I have pasted the entire chat I just had with them below:

You are now chatting with Omar  .

Omar  : Hello!  My name is Omar   and I am an International Care Representative. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you.

Omar  : I will be happy to assist you with your international concern.

Omar  : The iPhone unlocks are done online.

Omar  : Would you please provide me with the last four digits of the social security number on the account?

Omar  : Can I have the IMEI for the Galaxy 2

Omar  : The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket is not eligible for unlock.

Jason : Why Not?

Omar  : It is exclusive to AT&T.

Jason : It has a sim card what difference does that make?

Omar  : It is not unloackable.

Omar  : I apologize.

Jason : Thats untrue

Jason : http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/AT-amp-T-won-t-provide-unlock-code-for-Skyro...

Omar  : I apologize.

Omar  : We cannot unlock that device.

Jason : Again thats not True

Jason : You need to request a case to the rep.... Once the Case Team contacted Samsung the team will E-mail you the code .... guaranteed

Jason : Quote from ATT Forums

Omar  : We cannot create a case. That device is not eligible for unlock and therefore a case cannot be created.

Jason : Is there a supervisor I can speak with here goes another quote

Jason : First the rep took my IMEI and then said this imei shows a model that "Isnt eligible for unlocking and no unlock date is posted". I asked to speak to a supervisor The rep then came back with "Spoke to the supervisor, and he said that when this happens its an error and we have to open up a case. A DS3 support person will respond to the case and you will get an email with unlock code and instructions". I dont claim to know the exact jargon like 'DS3' whatever that means (just repeating it here in case it helps someone else escalate in the future).

Omar  : I apologize. We cannot create a case to unlock your device. Is there anything else I can assist you with regarding international issues?

Jason : What about my Iphone5?

Omar  : You will need to visit the website that we provide to unlock your iPhone.

Jason : Please tell me again why I cannot unlock my SG2 as Im contacting San Antonio support direct

Omar  : It is exclusive to AT&T.

Jason : That answer doesnt make sense it has a sim card and should work, are you saying the phone physically wont work with another Sim card or just that ATT wont unlock?

Omar  : Correct.

Jason : Which one is correct?

Omar  : It is an exclusive device to AT&T and cannot be used with any other carrier.

Jason : So are you saying it literally cannot be used or ATT does not want to allow?

Omar  : It cannot be unlocked.

Jason : Even though your own forum shows that other people have received codes for my phone and posted online details on how to obtain?

Omar  : Yes.

Jason : How long will it take to unlock my Iphone5?

Jason : Are you a supervisor?

Omar  : It takes 5 to 7 days for the unlock request to be processed. No, I am not a supervisor.

Jason : Have you asked a supervisor in regards to the information I provided?

Omar  : Yes.

Jason : May I have there name or employee #

Omar  : He would be the only person that would be able to give you that information.

Omar  : I apologize

Jason : I need it

Jason : As I was told to contact chat directly and know have wasted over 1. hours today trying to get this done

Omar  : I would have to pass the chat to my supervisor for him to get you that information.

Jason : Thats fine

Omar  : Hello! My name is Alfredo and I am an International Care Team Manager. You may call me Freddy. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you

[edited for privacy -removed last names]

Scholar

• 

400 Messages

11 years ago

Strange I had no trouble online getting them to send unlock code to me for my Galaxy S3

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

Just went throught the same ritual with AT&T on unlocking the Skyrocket.

1) Domestic customer service has the imei number when I gave her the phone number. They always asked  for imei in the past. No can do, the phone cannot be unlocked. She could not find the code in in the system, she had no idea why and when it would be available. Refer me to speak to international.

2) Intenational customer service asked for imei number after I specified which phone I wanted to unlock. Also she could not find the code. I was not happy with the answer but she offerred to create a "case". I would hear back in a week in an email. If the unlock code still not available, I would get an explanation.

3) Within half an hour, the email arrived. Now I have the unlock code.

4) The AT&T CS representatives must be lonely. They help themselves out by refering calls or creating work to other departments.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

@tailgunner9 wrote:
Strange I had no trouble online getting them to send unlock code to me for my Galaxy S3

Strange, indeed.  I was told that I couldn't get the unlock code for the Galaxy S III due to exclusivity.  Smiley Surprised

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.