Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 20, 2011
3:36:15 PM
View profile
AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

This is really irritating.  I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket at the full non contract price of $600.  I travel internationally 2-3 times per year and wanted the unlock code so that I can use local SIMs in foreign countries.  When I called AT&T to get it, I was told by both a rep and her supervisor that the unlock code was not available as AT&T has exclusive rights to this phone, and there was no date when the codes would become available, if ever.  Seems to me that since I paid the full, non discounted price on it, and I technically own it, they should have it available if I request it.  I guess I should have called and asked about this before I bought the phone.

So, now my options are to return this phone and go back to using my old one which is unlocked, which would be a shame because I really like this Skyrocket, or to try one of the online pay services.  Having to pay for it seems unfair to me, though.

This is really irritating.  I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket at the full non contract price of $600.  I travel internationally 2-3 times per year and wanted the unlock code so that I can use local SIMs in foreign countries.  When I called AT&T to get it, I was told by both a rep and her supervisor that the unlock code was not available as AT&T has exclusive rights to this phone, and there was no date when the codes would become available, if ever.  Seems to me that since I paid the full, non discounted price on it, and I technically own it, they should have it available if I request it.  I guess I should have called and asked about this before I bought the phone.

So, now my options are to return this phone and go back to using my old one which is unlocked, which would be a shame because I really like this Skyrocket, or to try one of the online pay services.  Having to pay for it seems unfair to me, though.

AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

43 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(43)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2012 6:25:09 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Aug 27, 2012 at 6:29:36 AM

briankariu wrote:
Got the same reply when I tried unlocking my HTC one X. Problem is that even online retailers do not have the unlock code!!! Smiley Sad

Its AT&T policy not to provide the SIM unlock code for a period of 10 months after the phone's release.  I've seen some follks mentione that sometimes they will start to give the code early (after maybe 6-8 months) but the One X has only been out for a few months.

As far as 3rd party paid unlock services, there do seem to be some people with the issue of some IMEI number not being in the database of unlock services yet.  If that is truly the case, the IMEI number for your phone is simply too new, and you may need to wait a while to get it unlocked.

Folks on XDA have seemed to have pretty good luck with cellunlocker.net. unlocking the One X.  One person even got an email from cellunlocker.net that the IMEI number was not available, then got the code 1 hour later.  Its worth a try, as I believe this service (and any reputable unlock service) will refund your money if they fail to unlock the phone.

briankariu wrote:
Got the same reply when I tried unlocking my HTC one X. Problem is that even online retailers do not have the unlock code!!! Smiley Sad

Its AT&T policy not to provide the SIM unlock code for a period of 10 months after the phone's release.  I've seen some follks mentione that sometimes they will start to give the code early (after maybe 6-8 months) but the One X has only been out for a few months.

As far as 3rd party paid unlock services, there do seem to be some people with the issue of some IMEI number not being in the database of unlock services yet.  If that is truly the case, the IMEI number for your phone is simply too new, and you may need to wait a while to get it unlocked.

Folks on XDA have seemed to have pretty good luck with cellunlocker.net. unlocking the One X.  One person even got an email from cellunlocker.net that the IMEI number was not available, then got the code 1 hour later.  Its worth a try, as I believe this service (and any reputable unlock service) will refund your money if they fail to unlock the phone.

Re: AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

[ Edited ]
31 of 44 (7,915 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 10:03:08 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Phil-101 on Jan 24, 2013 at 12:12:47 PM

need unlock code for my phone, going out of country.

[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

need unlock code for my phone, going out of country.

[edited for privacy – please do not post personal information]

need unlock code going to Kenya

[ Edited ]
32 of 44 (6,205 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 24, 2013 11:46:07 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by redpoint73 on Jan 24, 2013 at 11:51:22 AM

IMEI number is your private info, and you DO NOT want it posted all over the internet.  Please DELETE ASAP.

Also, posting your IMEI here is not going to magically get your unlock code.  You need to call AT&T for the code, as they will check if you account is in good standing before they give you the code.  Alternately, you can get the code from eBay or other online sources for a few dollars, if AT&T will not give it to you.

IMEI number is your private info, and you DO NOT want it posted all over the internet.  Please DELETE ASAP.

Also, posting your IMEI here is not going to magically get your unlock code.  You need to call AT&T for the code, as they will check if you account is in good standing before they give you the code.  Alternately, you can get the code from eBay or other online sources for a few dollars, if AT&T will not give it to you.

Re: need unlock code going to Kenya

[ Edited ]
33 of 44 (6,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2013 3:38:21 PM
(0)
Contributor
Would not give me code today for Blackberry Bold I have had for 3years!!! Called 2 different times hoping different rep would be more helpful. They seemed to be trying but ultimately said they did not have code???! Seems illegal to hold my phone hostage like that.
Anyway I did actually use an eBay unlock code vendor as I want this as an extra phone I could use traveling overseas.
Not much of a risk for $3 I figured.
Well, the code worked great!! Had to search instructions on how to use it but not hard to find. eBay vendor probably would give those instructions if asked too.
Don't understand what is going on with AT&T (did end conversation by telling me about their international plan) but this worked for me and will be much less expensive than an overseas plan.
Would not give me code today for Blackberry Bold I have had for 3years!!! Called 2 different times hoping different rep would be more helpful. They seemed to be trying but ultimately said they did not have code???! Seems illegal to hold my phone hostage like that.
Anyway I did actually use an eBay unlock code vendor as I want this as an extra phone I could use traveling overseas.
Not much of a risk for $3 I figured.
Well, the code worked great!! Had to search instructions on how to use it but not hard to find. eBay vendor probably would give those instructions if asked too.
Don't understand what is going on with AT&T (did end conversation by telling me about their international plan) but this worked for me and will be much less expensive than an overseas plan.

34 of 44 (5,887 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 17, 2013 7:21:33 PM
(0)
Contributor
Hi I'm confused about this whole unlock code thing. I have a Verizon Droid 2 global and a at&t go phone sim card. Can someone tell me how this works and what I'm suppose to do?! Please and thank you.
Hi I'm confused about this whole unlock code thing. I have a Verizon Droid 2 global and a at&t go phone sim card. Can someone tell me how this works and what I'm suppose to do?! Please and thank you.

35 of 44 (5,870 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 4, 2013 3:02:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

It's March 2013, and AT&T still is not providing unlock codes for the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, saying "AT&T is the exclusive carrier of the device and under the existing exclusivity agreement we are unable to provide the device unlock code."

I do not recall ever being told that this phone was "special" and that it would not be unlocked like the *several* other phones I have had from AT&T.  I spoke with an AT&T support rep (& a manager) today, and have asked them to escalate the matter to their marketing and customer care execs.  Hoping for a response that provides a customer-friendly solution.

If Samsung is refusing to unlock a 2-generation old phone (assuming the S4 phone is around the corner), because of some exclusivity contract they have with AT&T, I would be very very surprised (and annoyed).

AT&T execs - if you are listening, please act ASAP.

Regards,

It's March 2013, and AT&T still is not providing unlock codes for the Samsung Galaxy SII Skyrocket, saying "AT&T is the exclusive carrier of the device and under the existing exclusivity agreement we are unable to provide the device unlock code."

I do not recall ever being told that this phone was "special" and that it would not be unlocked like the *several* other phones I have had from AT&T.  I spoke with an AT&T support rep (& a manager) today, and have asked them to escalate the matter to their marketing and customer care execs.  Hoping for a response that provides a customer-friendly solution.

If Samsung is refusing to unlock a 2-generation old phone (assuming the S4 phone is around the corner), because of some exclusivity contract they have with AT&T, I would be very very surprised (and annoyed).

AT&T execs - if you are listening, please act ASAP.

Regards,

36 of 44 (5,636 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 9:21:34 AM
(0)
Professor

Hopefully, the recent statement from the White House will lead to some action on this.  I don't think that the carriers will change their positions on this type of thing without government intervention, unfortunately.

Hopefully, the recent statement from the White House will lead to some action on this.  I don't think that the carriers will change their positions on this type of thing without government intervention, unfortunately.

37 of 44 (5,605 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 5, 2013 9:21:06 PM
(0)
Voyager
Edited by Phil-101 on Mar 5, 2013 at 9:34:45 PM

March 5th and your right At&T will still not unlock, I have pasted the entire chat I just had with them below:

You are now chatting with Omar  .

Omar  : Hello!  My name is Omar   and I am an International Care Representative. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you.

Omar  : I will be happy to assist you with your international concern.

Omar  : The iPhone unlocks are done online.

Omar  : Would you please provide me with the last four digits of the social security number on the account?

Omar  : Can I have the IMEI for the Galaxy 2

Omar  : The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket is not eligible for unlock.

Jason : Why Not?

Omar  : It is exclusive to AT&T.

Jason : It has a sim card what difference does that make?

Omar  : It is not unloackable.

Omar  : I apologize.

Jason : Thats untrue

Jason : http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/AT-amp-T-won-t-provide-unlock-code-for-Skyro...

Omar  : We cannot unlock that device.

Jason : Again thats not True

Jason : You need to request a case to the rep.... Once the Case Team contacted Samsung the team will E-mail you the code .... guaranteed

Jason : Quote from ATT Forums

Omar  : We cannot create a case. That device is not eligible for unlock and therefore a case cannot be created.

Jason : Is there a supervisor I can speak with here goes another quote

Jason : First the rep took my IMEI and then said this imei shows a model that "Isnt eligible for unlocking and no unlock date is posted". I asked to speak to a supervisor The rep then came back with "Spoke to the supervisor, and he said that when this happens its an error and we have to open up a case. A DS3 support person will respond to the case and you will get an email with unlock code and instructions". I dont claim to know the exact jargon like 'DS3' whatever that means (just repeating it here in case it helps someone else escalate in the future).

Omar  : I apologize. We cannot create a case to unlock your device. Is there anything else I can assist you with regarding international issues?

Jason : What about my Iphone5?

Omar  : You will need to visit the website that we provide to unlock your iPhone.

Jason : Please tell me again why I cannot unlock my SG2 as Im contacting San Antonio support direct

Jason : That answer doesnt make sense it has a sim card and should work, are you saying the phone physically wont work with another Sim card or just that ATT wont unlock?

Omar  : Correct.

Jason : Which one is correct?

Omar  : It is an exclusive device to AT&T and cannot be used with any other carrier.

Jason : So are you saying it literally cannot be used or ATT does not want to allow?

Omar  : It cannot be unlocked.

Jason : Even though your own forum shows that other people have received codes for my phone and posted online details on how to obtain?

Omar  : Yes.

Jason : How long will it take to unlock my Iphone5?

Jason : Are you a supervisor?

Omar  : It takes 5 to 7 days for the unlock request to be processed. No, I am not a supervisor.

Jason : Have you asked a supervisor in regards to the information I provided?

Jason : May I have there name or employee #

Omar  : He would be the only person that would be able to give you that information.

Omar  : I apologize

Jason : I need it

Jason : As I was told to contact chat directly and know have wasted over 1. hours today trying to get this done

Omar  : I would have to pass the chat to my supervisor for him to get you that information.

Jason : Thats fine

Omar  : Hello! My name is Alfredo and I am an International Care Team Manager. You may call me Freddy. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you

[edited for privacy -removed last names]

March 5th and your right At&T will still not unlock, I have pasted the entire chat I just had with them below:

You are now chatting with Omar  .

Omar  : Hello!  My name is Omar   and I am an International Care Representative. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you.

Omar  : I will be happy to assist you with your international concern.

Omar  : The iPhone unlocks are done online.

Omar  : Would you please provide me with the last four digits of the social security number on the account?

Omar  : Can I have the IMEI for the Galaxy 2

Omar  : The Samsung Galaxy S II Skyrocket is not eligible for unlock.

Jason : Why Not?

Jason : It has a sim card what difference does that make?

Omar  : It is not unloackable.

Jason : Thats untrue

Jason : http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/AT-amp-T-won-t-provide-unlock-code-for-Skyro...

Omar  : We cannot unlock that device.

Jason : Again thats not True

Jason : You need to request a case to the rep.... Once the Case Team contacted Samsung the team will E-mail you the code .... guaranteed

Jason : Quote from ATT Forums

Omar  : We cannot create a case. That device is not eligible for unlock and therefore a case cannot be created.

Jason : Is there a supervisor I can speak with here goes another quote

Jason : First the rep took my IMEI and then said this imei shows a model that "Isnt eligible for unlocking and no unlock date is posted". I asked to speak to a supervisor The rep then came back with "Spoke to the supervisor, and he said that when this happens its an error and we have to open up a case. A DS3 support person will respond to the case and you will get an email with unlock code and instructions". I dont claim to know the exact jargon like 'DS3' whatever that means (just repeating it here in case it helps someone else escalate in the future).

Omar  : I apologize. We cannot create a case to unlock your device. Is there anything else I can assist you with regarding international issues?

Jason : What about my Iphone5?

Omar  : You will need to visit the website that we provide to unlock your iPhone.

Jason : Please tell me again why I cannot unlock my SG2 as Im contacting San Antonio support direct

Jason : That answer doesnt make sense it has a sim card and should work, are you saying the phone physically wont work with another Sim card or just that ATT wont unlock?

Omar  : Correct.

Jason : Which one is correct?

Omar  : It is an exclusive device to AT&T and cannot be used with any other carrier.

Jason : So are you saying it literally cannot be used or ATT does not want to allow?

Omar  : It cannot be unlocked.

Jason : Even though your own forum shows that other people have received codes for my phone and posted online details on how to obtain?

Jason : How long will it take to unlock my Iphone5?

Jason : Are you a supervisor?

Omar  : It takes 5 to 7 days for the unlock request to be processed. No, I am not a supervisor.

Jason : Have you asked a supervisor in regards to the information I provided?

Jason : May I have there name or employee #

Omar  : He would be the only person that would be able to give you that information.

Omar  : I apologize

Jason : I need it

Jason : As I was told to contact chat directly and know have wasted over 1. hours today trying to get this done

Omar  : I would have to pass the chat to my supervisor for him to get you that information.

Jason : Thats fine

Omar  : Hello! My name is Alfredo and I am an International Care Team Manager. You may call me Freddy. I’m reading your inquiry and I will be right with you

[edited for privacy -removed last names]

[ Edited ]
38 of 44 (5,568 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 6, 2013 1:00:19 PM
(0)
Scholar
Strange I had no trouble online getting them to send unlock code to me for my Galaxy S3
Strange I had no trouble online getting them to send unlock code to me for my Galaxy S3

39 of 44 (5,538 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 7:02:08 AM
(0)
ACE - Scholar

Just went throught the same ritual with AT&T on unlocking the Skyrocket.

1) Domestic customer service has the imei number when I gave her the phone number. They always asked  for imei in the past. No can do, the phone cannot be unlocked. She could not find the code in in the system, she had no idea why and when it would be available. Refer me to speak to international.

2) Intenational customer service asked for imei number after I specified which phone I wanted to unlock. Also she could not find the code. I was not happy with the answer but she offerred to create a "case". I would hear back in a week in an email. If the unlock code still not available, I would get an explanation.

3) Within half an hour, the email arrived. Now I have the unlock code.

4) The AT&T CS representatives must be lonely. They help themselves out by refering calls or creating work to other departments.

Just went throught the same ritual with AT&T on unlocking the Skyrocket.

1) Domestic customer service has the imei number when I gave her the phone number. They always asked  for imei in the past. No can do, the phone cannot be unlocked. She could not find the code in in the system, she had no idea why and when it would be available. Refer me to speak to international.

2) Intenational customer service asked for imei number after I specified which phone I wanted to unlock. Also she could not find the code. I was not happy with the answer but she offerred to create a "case". I would hear back in a week in an email. If the unlock code still not available, I would get an explanation.

3) Within half an hour, the email arrived. Now I have the unlock code.

4) The AT&T CS representatives must be lonely. They help themselves out by refering calls or creating work to other departments.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

40 of 44 (5,507 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 7, 2013 8:28:04 AM
(0)
Professor

tailgunner9 wrote:

Strange, indeed.  I was told that I couldn't get the unlock code for the Galaxy S III due to exclusivity.  Smiley Surprised

tailgunner9 wrote:

Strange, indeed.  I was told that I couldn't get the unlock code for the Galaxy S III due to exclusivity.  Smiley Surprised

41 of 44 (5,491 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 12:11:54 AM
(0)
Contributor

International care is not even willing to raise a case for me.. :-(

It is totally insane, that the phone is advertised by ATT sales people as quad band, international and can be used at any carrier any where in the world, but in reality this phone can be used only within ATT in US or outside. I asked ATT proper explaination, still waiting for the call from ATT supervisor.

International care is not even willing to raise a case for me.. :-(

It is totally insane, that the phone is advertised by ATT sales people as quad band, international and can be used at any carrier any where in the world, but in reality this phone can be used only within ATT in US or outside. I asked ATT proper explaination, still waiting for the call from ATT supervisor.

42 of 44 (5,224 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 10:24:50 AM
(0)
Voyager

I guess I'm not alone. And after reading the tech support chat I must admit I laughed. I don't use ATT on a phone they say cannot be used by any other sim....

This is my post on the situation. Even Samsung says ATT has the codes to do it.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Unlocking-a-phone/td-p/3456669

I guess I'm not alone. And after reading the tech support chat I must admit I laughed. I don't use ATT on a phone they say cannot be used by any other sim....

This is my post on the situation. Even Samsung says ATT has the codes to do it.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android-Discussion-and-Support/Unlocking-a-phone/td-p/3456669

43 of 44 (5,181 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2013 8:14:25 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by global1 on Jun 10, 2013 at 8:17:02 AM

After reading the paranoia in this thread, I was surprised that AT&T instantly gave me the unlock code when I called Customer Care at 800-331-0500. Smiley Very Happy

I am only 10 months into my 2 year contract and needed the phone unlocked for overseas travel. I have been an AT&T customer since 2008 under a FAN account.

After reading the paranoia in this thread, I was surprised that AT&T instantly gave me the unlock code when I called Customer Care at 800-331-0500. Smiley Very Happy

I am only 10 months into my 2 year contract and needed the phone unlocked for overseas travel. I have been an AT&T customer since 2008 under a FAN account.

[ Edited ]
44 of 44 (3,675 Views)