The Samsung Galaxy S24
josephi's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 11:36 PM

AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

This is really irritating.  I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket at the full non contract price of $600.  I travel internationally 2-3 times per year and wanted the unlock code so that I can use local SIMs in foreign countries.  When I called AT&T to get it, I was told by both a rep and her supervisor that the unlock code was not available as AT&T has exclusive rights to this phone, and there was no date when the codes would become available, if ever.  Seems to me that since I paid the full, non discounted price on it, and I technically own it, they should have it available if I request it.  I guess I should have called and asked about this before I bought the phone.

So, now my options are to return this phone and go back to using my old one which is unlocked, which would be a shame because I really like this Skyrocket, or to try one of the online pay services.  Having to pay for it seems unfair to me, though.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Hi, I am also planning to unlock my phone as i would like to use the phone even on travel. Could you please let me know the online service where you bought the unlock code?

thanks in advance...

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

You need to request a case to the rep.... Once the Case Team contacted Samsung the team will E-mail you the code .... guaranteed

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@daniapar wrote:
You need to request a case to the rep.... Once the Case Team contacted Samsung the team will E-mail you the code .... guaranteed

Almost all the new phones from AT&T has some exclusive period. You will have to wait 8 to 10 month from launch day before AT&T can give you any unlock code unless you bought the phone off contract.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

12 years ago

@foxbat121 wrote:

Almost all the new phones from AT&T has some exclusive period. You will have to wait 8 to 10 month from launch day before AT&T can give you any unlock code unless you bought the phone off contract.

I bought my phone off contract for $600, and AT&T still wouldn't provide the unlock code due to exclusivity, which is what upset me enough to start this thread.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Buying the phone off contract doesn't make any difference in the unlock process when its a new phone in the exclusivity phase

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Just started down this road today.

1. First the rep took my IMEI and then said this imei shows a model that "Isnt eligible for unlocking and no unlock date is posted".
  2. I asked to speak to a supervisor
  3. The rep then came back with "Spoke to the supervisor, and he said that when this happens its an error and we have to open up a case. A DS3 support person will respond to the case and you will get an email with unlock code and instructions". I dont claim to know the exact jargon like 'DS3' whatever that means (just repeating it here in case it helps someone else escalate in the future).

She's entered the case, given me a case number, taken my email address and lets see if something comes out of this. Will post the outcome.

Satya

PS. I find it much better to always be polite, soft spoken, and at the same time be assertive in such interactions. Really helps to take the edge off things and then there's a better chance of solving the problem.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

12 years ago

@devnull2 wrote:

Just started down this road today.

1. First the rep took my IMEI and then said this imei shows a model that "Isnt eligible for unlocking and no unlock date is posted".
  2. I asked to speak to a supervisor
  3. The rep then came back with "Spoke to the supervisor, and he said that when this happens its an error and we have to open up a case. A DS3 support person will respond to the case and you will get an email with unlock code and instructions". I dont claim to know the exact jargon like 'DS3' whatever that means (just repeating it here in case it helps someone else escalate in the future).

She's entered the case, given me a case number, taken my email address and lets see if something comes out of this. Will post the outcome.

________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Hopefully you'll have better luck than I had.  The supervisor in my case looked into it, but was adamant that the code was not available to give.

I also tried last year to get a code for my previous phone, a Motorola Atrix.  They opened a case for me then, but still eventually told me that the code for that phone was not available until eight months down the road.  The Atrix, though, was bought at the contract price, so I could understand, but I paid full retail for this Skyrocket.  Doesn't seem right.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

I just tried to get the unlock code and got the same message -- code not available and no time frame.   But without asking, she opened up a case and seemed pretty confident that I will get the unlock code in about a week.

Has anyone been successful getting the code direct from AT&T?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Got the same reply when I tried unlocking my HTC one X. Problem is that even online retailers do not have the unlock code!!! 😞

Professor

• 

3K Messages

12 years ago

@briankariu wrote:
Got the same reply when I tried unlocking my HTC one X. Problem is that even online retailers do not have the unlock code!!! 😞

Its AT&T policy not to provide the SIM unlock code for a period of 10 months after the phone's release.  I've seen some follks mentione that sometimes they will start to give the code early (after maybe 6-8 months) but the One X has only been out for a few months.

As far as 3rd party paid unlock services, there do seem to be some people with the issue of some IMEI number not being in the database of unlock services yet.  If that is truly the case, the IMEI number for your phone is simply too new, and you may need to wait a while to get it unlocked.

Folks on XDA have seemed to have pretty good luck with cellunlocker.net. unlocking the One X.  One person even got an email from cellunlocker.net that the IMEI number was not available, then got the code 1 hour later.  Its worth a try, as I believe this service (and any reputable unlock service) will refund your money if they fail to unlock the phone.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.