The Samsung Galaxy S24
josephi's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 11:36 PM

AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

This is really irritating.  I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket at the full non contract price of $600.  I travel internationally 2-3 times per year and wanted the unlock code so that I can use local SIMs in foreign countries.  When I called AT&T to get it, I was told by both a rep and her supervisor that the unlock code was not available as AT&T has exclusive rights to this phone, and there was no date when the codes would become available, if ever.  Seems to me that since I paid the full, non discounted price on it, and I technically own it, they should have it available if I request it.  I guess I should have called and asked about this before I bought the phone.

So, now my options are to return this phone and go back to using my old one which is unlocked, which would be a shame because I really like this Skyrocket, or to try one of the online pay services.  Having to pay for it seems unfair to me, though.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

12 years ago

I remember going through the same thing with my Atrix 4G.  I had to wait 6 months before they would make the unlock code available to me.  I only paid the discounted price on that one, though, so it wasn't as big a deal to me.  When someone pays the full retail price on a phone though, seems to me they own the phone, and AT&T should not be telling them how, when, and where they can use it. 

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

12 years ago

make a trip to retail store instead

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

12 years ago

Nope all lies. When we say we can't unlock it for whatever reason we're serious, we don't have the code available to us

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

12 years ago

I'm sure the folks I spoke to didn't have access to the code because they told me that my phone didn't show up anywhere in the database, which I think means that AT&T policy is probably not allowing it to be out there.  The supervisor spent some time trying to look it up before she announced that it was nowhere to be found.  If AT&T wanted to provide the codes, I'm sure that Samsung would be happy to provide it to them, if they haven't already.  AT&T is making them inaccessible.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

12 years ago

I have had the best lucking calling their Int'l department and requesting the unlock code from them directly.

Twice a front-line rep has claimed no code exits or that she is prohibited from giving it out only to speak with Int'l Support who in minutes was able to request the unlock code for me.

I cannot speak to the SkyRocket directly, exclusivity could very well be a different story, but in the past that is the way the policy worked, especially if you paid full retail.

One rep explained to me that full retail is like buying a car with cash while getting a subsidy is like leasing the car, at&t will eventually allow you to take full ownership but at first they own the phone and you just have the right to use it.

Dan

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

If i have it unlocked, would the phone work on ATT still and local sim card if i travel with a simple step switching the sim card?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@kozenyee wrote:
If i have it unlocked, would the phone work on ATT still and local sim card if i travel with a simple step switching the sim card?

Yes, that the reason we want to unlock SIM so you can switch anytime you want. It make very little sense while in US but save you $$$$ overseas by using a local SIM.

Scholar

• 

151 Messages

12 years ago

Did you ever get this resolved? Will you root it?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Does your data plan work after unlock service ?

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

12 years ago

@tonyhess wrote:

Does your data plan work after unlock service ?

Yes, everything still works fine.  Since AT&T refused to provide the code, even though I paid full retail price for the phone, I ended up buying a code from one of the online services.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.