The Samsung Galaxy S24
josephi's profile

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

Sunday, November 20th, 2011 11:36 PM

AT&T won't provide unlock code for Skyrocket due to exclusivity

This is really irritating.  I purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket at the full non contract price of $600.  I travel internationally 2-3 times per year and wanted the unlock code so that I can use local SIMs in foreign countries.  When I called AT&T to get it, I was told by both a rep and her supervisor that the unlock code was not available as AT&T has exclusive rights to this phone, and there was no date when the codes would become available, if ever.  Seems to me that since I paid the full, non discounted price on it, and I technically own it, they should have it available if I request it.  I guess I should have called and asked about this before I bought the phone.

So, now my options are to return this phone and go back to using my old one which is unlocked, which would be a shame because I really like this Skyrocket, or to try one of the online pay services.  Having to pay for it seems unfair to me, though.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Most new phones have this exclusive period now. However, you are right, you should be given the unlock code as you paid full price. I got mine on my gs2. And I expect the same for Skyrocket. Call again and don't take no for answer. All I have to do is fax them my receipt for proof of purchase.

There is way to unlock yourself but you have to root the phone first (hence void your warranty). But I would try AT&T again.

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

12 years ago

I spoke to a regular rep, then asked for her supervisor.  Both told me that the phone was not even showing in their database of phones eligible for unlocking, so there was nothing they could do until it did finally show, and they had no idea when that would be.  I like this phone so I'm thinking of going ahead and spending the $25 or so to get a code from an online service.  Thanks!

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

If I recall correctly, AT&T starts providing unlock codes for their phones around three to six months after the phone was originally released. Being that the Skyrocket is new, I wouldn't expect AT&T to start giving out the codes to unlock the phone just quite yet.

But you are 100% correct - if you bought the phone at full retail price, then you should have full control over the phone and what'd you'd like to do to it.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

Not true. I unlocked my Galaxy S2 the day I bougt it which is one day after launch. Device unlock codes are handled by different department. Just because regular rep and her/his supervisor can't see it in the system, doesn't mean it can't be unlocked. All they have to do is fill out and submit a unlock request form for you. You fax in your proof of purchase and a few hours later you will receive your unlocked code in the email. Keep calling until you encounter someone who know how to do it.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

foxbat121, did AT&T give you the unlock code for your S II or did you find other alternatives to unlock it?

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

I got my code from AT&T. I told the rep that I don't want any excuses (I knew the phone is probably in an exclusive period) since I paid my phone in full retail price.

If I purchased mine on contract, I will simply root it and unlock. Just like I did for my Captivate. But since I got no discount on my new phone, I expect AT&T do the leg work for me.

Scholar

• 

130 Messages

12 years ago

att is lying

they can provide you with the code

go to the retail att store and have the rep (try to find a smart one) and explain and have them call att

they will then provide you with the code

the people you talked to in att and her boss are probably too dumb to understand what you were saying

Scholar

• 

175 Messages

12 years ago

I have no doubt that they can get the code and give it out if they want to.  Problem with them is that they have corporate policies that prohibit it, even if those policies are unfair and just plain wrong, as in this case. 

I went ahead and bought an unlock code from Cellunlocker.net as I couldn't wait until AT&T decided to make it available.  Paid $28.99 and had my phone unlocked in about 3 hours. 

My opinion of AT&T has gone down a few notches, and I'm going to remember this the next time my contract comes up for renewal, or I want to buy a new phone, especially at the full retail price.

Master

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

No, I don't believe the policy applies to non contact phones. Like said above, they just don't know how to read the policy. The policy has an exception clause because I have been told so many times dealing with unlocks of couple of my other phones.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

12 years ago

Yeah...I'm sure that's probably not the case...

As for foxbat121, alright. I was wondering if AT&T unlocked your phone, they might as well unlock the OP's as well (but it's already too late).
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.