For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
Bullitt007's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, August 5th, 2014 12:41 AM

AT&T will not unlock my device even though it's LAW!

I'm not an at&t customer. I purchased a Padfone X (exlusive to att) off of Amazon.com LLC for the non contract price of $584.69. I was suprised to find the device locked even though I bought the phone outright. After waiting for the President to sign into law the Unlocking Consumer Choice & Wireless Competition Act on August 1, 2014, I called today to have my device unlocked, only to be quoted there previous conditions on having a device unlocked. The people I talked to hadn't even heard of the Unlocking Consumer Choice & Wirleless Competion Act and actually argued that a bill doesn't necessarily become law right after the president signs it ?????? I'm not even American and I know this! Can anyone help me with this or should I just seek legal council?

Derek,

Expensive Tablet Purchaser

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

if you want this phone unlocked you need to be an at&t post paid customer for 2 months

or 6 months pre paid. my advice is to lend it to a friend or have a friend add this phone to his plan for 2 months to get unlocks

HERE IS A TIP : make sure your IMEI number (the serial # of the phone) is assigned to your at&t service. ive had problems with go phone and go phone not knowing the IMEI #. several times i was denied an unlock. i went to the at&t store or i called at&t support and made them assign IMEI #s to my plan. as soon as the IMEI was assigned to me. the unlocks were granted.

kids that work at the att store tell you that if the phone was not activated or if att does not know your imei then the phone would simply not work. this is not true. att servie is tied to the sim card and not the actual phone

the cita unlocking agreement does not come into effect until feb 2015 . i think it just says that carriers will provide terms on an unlocks i dont think it says that att will grant all of them

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

revise earlier post :

you need to be a former or active att customer that has a record of that imei # being used on at&t's network, either 2 months post paid or 6 months go phone for at&t to unlock it

just for fun i tried to enter kindle fire phone imei #s into at&*ts form. got the same response twice. no record of this imei. 

if a customer has had service for 2 months on a post paid or 6 months go phone, and the imei # is assigned to an account, you may not need to actually have the phone being used for 2-6 months. they might unlock the phone with it only being on your account for a day. that happened to me with an old 3GS i got from ebay.

i was denied an unlock "no record of this device" i went to the at&t srtore  had them put the imei on our go phone account. tried the form again.  and i was granted an unlock

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

Nope all that has to change.  ATT is required by the new law to unlock this device.  This new law will help with carrier exclusive phones.  If you buy it out right they will have to unlock it.  Also to the op there are other ways to unlock a phone now that its legal again.

The only way att can not unlock the phone is if your under contract and this law did take effect the day it was signed.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

With the previous laws or rulings, AT&T was required to unlock phones. but they can set their requirements for unlocking. That has not changed.

Do a google search of new unlocking law and read. It didn't change anything but make the law permanent. the previous ruling was about to expire or had already expired.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

In plain terms it would appear that as the owner of your device you can request an unlock of your device to use on another carrier provided that the other carrier allows unlocked devices to run on their network. The only exception in the Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act is bulk unlocking or the unlocking of many devices for the sole purpose of resale as outlined in the bill which states, No bulk unlocking. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to permit the unlocking of wireless handsets or other wireless devices, for the purpose of bulk resale. However, the law does not include other devices that connect to wireless networks such as tablets, computers, wearables, or other connected devices.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

10 years ago

it is my understanding that the bill that obama signed only allows makes it legal for you to crack , pirate, hack, jailbreak, your phone to allow it to be used on another carrier without the carriers permission

the CITA agreement on unlocking, is just a Voluntarily Agreement between all the carriers that does not take effect until Feb 2015.. the CITA unlocking policy IS NOT A LAW

( stuff about sprint unlocking was deleted ) looks like sprint honors requests now!!

however sprint will not unlock prepaids

lookup tracfones policy. it states that not only do you have to be a trac fone customer phone for 12 consecutive months, but they will DENY EVERY unlock request on ANY DEVICE purchased before january 2014.

if you want your pad phone unlocked you need to be an AT&T CUSTOMER at one time.

sign up for a post paid account. pay $15 for the phone plus $25 for 300 mb of data. this will cost you $40 plus tax. keep the phone for 60 days.  at the end of 60 days your phone should be eligible for an unlock.  dont sign up for go phone because it will take 6 months. if you know of a person on a share plan , ask them to put their phone on their plan for 60 days. dont port any numbers to your new at&t account, because it is intended to be a temporary account 

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for your response,

Prior to January 2013, Copyright laws prohibiting circumventing digital locks on cellphones (1998 Digital Millennium Copyright Act), were granted an exemption by government copyright lawyers as a way of making it easier for consumers to change carriers and recycle old phones. The Library of Congress (which oversees copyright law) agreed to let the exemption lapse as of January 2013. Since Then AT&T was NOT required by law to unlock cellphones but struck a voluntary agreement (Under their own stipulations) for unlocking (Along with Verizon Wireless, Sprint Corp and T-Mobile US Inc.) with the FCC in December 2013.

The Unlocking Consumer Choice and Wireless Competition Act, co-sponsored by Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt. has made unlocking cellphones legal once again.

This was not making any previous law permanent, nor was the previous ruling expired, nor is this law permanent. It will simply stay put until the Library of Congress issues its next ruling on the matter likely in late 2015.

Perhaps you who should do a little google searching and read…

2567 Total replies and 0 solved??

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you for everyone's response, my last post was directed at kdfederer!

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

The law makes it legal to unlock phones but does not require the wireless provider to do so. The wireless provider can set their own unlocking guidelines. That has not changed. Just because you have a phone does not mean that AT&T will unlock it unless you meet their guidelines.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I'm not getting a response from the unblock website. Even though I've fill out the form (multiple times) and include my correct email address, I never get a response.

I've checked my junk mail and spam filters... nada.

Help?

Jim...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.