The Samsung Galaxy S24
Jaden9's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Thursday, September 27th, 2018 11:36 PM

AT&T vs. Unlocked

I'm looking into buying a couple of Samsung Galaxy s8 phones on ebay and I'm getting the option of AT&T specific phones and ones that are unlocked and are compatible with AT&T, T-Mobile, Metro PCS, anything with a GSM network. Not compatible with Verizon, Sprint or anything using a CDMA carrier. Which is the better option? Is there a difference? I'll need them to work in England on a trip. Also, do I need to contact AT&T to activate the phones?  Thanks for any help. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

Lol....

Gotcha.  I will try not to throw to much at you.  

When traveling out of the USA buying local sim in Europe is often cheaper than roaming.  So you want an unlocked phone.   If staying with ATT an unlocked ATT branded provides full functionality with ATT. 

I suggest you try swappa.  Phones sold on swappa must be paid off, (paid off means unlockable, if not already)  must be in excellent condition, are cheaper than new.  It eliminates some of the junk that gets sold on eBay.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

6 years ago

No you don’t need to contact ATT, just swap SIM cards.  

An ATT S8/S8+ when unlocked will convert for other carriers.  It’s unique to this series.   

I have an unlocked S8 and can confirm it works equally well on Att, Verizon and t mobile.  Wifi calling and VoLTE.

Just to be clear, the ATT version unlocked from ATT works on those carriers perfectly.   

The unlocked, non carrier version WILL NOT.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

I don't need it to work on other carriers since I'm planning on staying with AT&T so I'm still unclear about which phone to buy. The same phones on this site are $200 more than the same model on ebay. All the AT&T specific phones there are not unlocked. Would I be better off with one of those rather than the unlocked version? Sorry for my ignorance but this is my first purchase of an expensive phone. I've decided to join the 21st century and get rid of my cheap windows phone. thanks

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Thank you. You've been a big help. Have a great night!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.