For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
AlphaGeek's profile

Mentor

• 

11 Messages

Monday, December 3rd, 2012 8:48 PM

AT&T Policy? Or uninformed sales rep?

I went to my local AT&T store today to upgrade my phones/plan to a pair of S3 on the Mobile Share plan when I learned that the S3 uses a non-standard (smaller) SIM card (presumably meaning that I wouldn't be able to use it in Europe, were it to be unlocked).

So, I ask the sales rep if I could get my old Atrix unlocked.  To which he replies, "we don't unlock phones."  To which I replied, "never mind." and walked out.

Now, mind you, I'm there to upgrade my plan, so I'm already committing to two years (plus coming off of two years, not to mention all the years previous I've been with AT&T).  It's not like unlocking my old phone will cost AT&T my service.  What it will do is give me a phone I can use in Europe, rather than a wifi only device to give to my son.

Is it AT&T policy to make old phones coming off of plan into paperweights?  Or did I just have a (insert derisive adjective here) uninformed sales rep?

Thanks.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

11 years ago

He was correct in saying that "we don't unlock phones", meaning that they don't do it in the store.  You can call customer service at 1-800-331-0500 to get the unlock code for your Motorola Atrix.

Also, I believe that microSIM cards are available in Europe.  The Galaxy S III, as well as other phones, use microSIM cards worldwide.  I'm not a traveller, so someone else can chime in to verify.  At the least, you could get a SIM card cutter to carry with you to Europe if you want to use your new phone once you get that one unlocked.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@AlphaGeek wrote:

I went to my local AT&T store today to upgrade my phones/plan to a pair of S3 on the Mobile Share plan when I learned that the S3 uses a non-standard (smaller) SIM card (presumably meaning that I wouldn't be able to use it in Europe, were it to be unlocked).

The MicroSIM on the S3 is becoming very standard, both in the US and abroad.  Don't know specifically what country you are talking about.  But I believe any carrier that has had the iPhone 4 or iPad should have MicroSIMs available.

That said, AT&T policy is not to give the SIM unlock code for any "exclusive" phone (S3 applies) for a period of 10 months after release (sometimes earlier, but 10 months is the policy).  So they probably will not give you the code for the S3.  The older Atrix should be fine, just call customer service as another user suggested.

Alternately (for instance, if you want to get the S3 unlocked, and AT&T won't give you the code) , unlock codes are typically easy to get at paid unlock services for $10 or less, and can be found on eBay and other places.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.