The Samsung Galaxy S24
dmorsekahn's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 6:14 AM

AT&T HTC One X GPS Settings Are Now Wrong

My GPS home setting has been changed and I cannot change it back.

It now has a setting in Ohio--I was there for business a month ago--but has never shifted back to my home city in Minnesota.

Now all of my AT&T and downloaded apps that need location--weather, maps, community--believe that I am in Ohio!

How does this get fixed? Many thank to any who can help.

Deborah

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

Did you happen to manually change the timezone of your phone while you were on business? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

@dmorsekahn wrote:

I have done all these things you have suggested for the phone type I have noted in the subject line of my question, the AT&T HTC One X.

Haha, so it is.  I'm sure I noticed that when I saw your post on the list of threads (its the phone I have also).  Then proceeded to ignore it while I was reading your post.  Sorry about that!

I've had my One X display the wrong location on the weather app and weather clock widget.  But not all the other apps also.  And just rebooting the phone usually fixes it.

See if you can at least get a GPS lock, and we'll go from there.  But as I mentioned, even without a GPS lock, the phone should still be able to get your location (at least rough location) from cell phone triangulation (aGPS) or from a WiFi network.  Do you have a WiFi network at home?  I assume that cell reception is pretty good where you are?

Try turning GPS on, going outside, opening Google Maps, and waiting for several minutes to see if the GPS locks onto your location?  Outside is always better, and a clear view of at least a majority of the sky (minimum of building, trees, etc.) will get the fastest lock.  If your location has changed significantly (like your trip to another part of the US) it might take a couple minutes.  And if some of the view of the sky is obscured, cloud cover, etc., it may also add to the amount of time it takes to lock.  Be patient, and let it do its thing for at least 5 or 10 minutes.

You can also try installing the app "GPS Status & Toolbox" from the Play Market.  One of the app's screens is a big circular display, it will show dots on that display which are the individual GPS satellites the phone can "see".  Then there is a bar graph below that, that shows the signal strength for each satellite.  If the GPS on your phone is working properly, you should see several dots on the circle display, and the bar graph should also show several satellites.  Eventually, once the phone locks onto enough satellites (each bar will turn green) usually 4 or 5 I think (its been a while since I used the app) you should have a GPS lock, and the screen should display your latitude and longitude.  If none of these things are happening, there might be something wrong with the phone's GPS.

Professor

• 

3K Messages

11 years ago

Doesn't sound like solely a GPS issue, as those features also utilize cell tower triangulation and WiFi network location.

Have you tried simply rebooting the phone?  Also look into Settings>Location, and see if Location & Google search is checked or not.  Try toggling back and forth, and wait a few minutes to see if this helps or not.

Also would help if you stated what phone you are talking about.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I appreciate your taking the time to reply, redpoint73, thank you!

I have done all these things you have suggested for the phone type I have noted in the subject line of my question, the AT&T HTC One X.

It is precisely because none of these reasonable efforts have produced the result of getting my phone back into its home location that I have posted to this forum!

What would you recommend I try next? I am truly confused at this point! Thanks again - Deborah

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Dear Jamileh, so I did!!! But...for the life of me I have no memory of HOW I did that! Could you please advise?

I do love it when the source of big problems turn out to be something so small. As my husband, a software designer always told me, "No matter how humiliating this will sound, whatever your computer is doing, somewhere, somehow, YOU told it to do that!"  Smiley Very Happy

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Jamileh, I find that I had already set the phone to automatic time zone change. I have reviewed the settings and find them correct....ah well!

I am off to re-read redpoint73's suggestions.

Wish we didn't still have five feet of snow on the ground up here in the Superior National Forest but I think the front steps have been shoveled...  Smiley Wink

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Well, dear redpoint73, roses and chocolates to you!

I did exactly as you proposed: I downloaded "GPS Status & Toolbox" and trotted outside in my winter coat and boots and kept the wildlife company while I let everything sort itself out location-wise.

I can now report that my phone understands that I really do live on Lake Superior's magnificent North Shore--where everyone should come to visit this summer!--and NOT in Dayton Ohio. All apps show proper locale and time.

THANK YOU!!!

Deborah, Finland State Forest, Superior National Forest, North Shore MN

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

We'll be there with bells on!

Great job, redpoint!

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.